Who would be your top choice in Montreal for our GM?

REV-G

19 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Anyway, maybe the best thing for this role is that we NOT hire a “GM in the traditional sense.” If the guy is a tyro, that will eliminate any question about who the Alpha Manager is - Gorton - and postpone the danger of in-fighting and power struggles. So what we really want is an inexperienced guy with a sharp, promising hockey mind who can be mentored by Gorton and hopefully develop long-term loyalty to him, eventually succeeding him as Michael Corleone succeeded Vito. And seen in that light, it’d be a judgement call between the other names being mooted. (I have a good feeling about Luongo, myself, but the fact that Darche was scooped up by Tampa is probably a good sign).

Thank you! Add to that, the right personality that can both work effectively with Gorton and deal with the media, and I think we'll have a winner for this race.

Roy certainly will. 

Excellent interview with Mathieu Dare and his background and insight of his experiences with Brisbois and Tampa..

And his current role with the Lightning. ( July 14, 2021 )

Last 2 minutes away:  if a GM role opens up: " ... If it happens it Happens.. " but is happy with palm trees in his backyard.

3 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I just went through the Ducks draft from 2010 to 2019 to see how it compared to Montreal's.

If Martin Madden had anything to do with that mess, I do not want him anywhere near the Habs. Timmins looks like a genius in comparison (which some may say he is).

Darche is a god consolation price, a business manager after hockey doing well in TBL.

My preference so far is:

* Danny B

* Darche

* <others>

* Madden

Madden has been the Ducks version of Trevor Timmins, so he has been heavy in the draft. 

I don't think their drafting is bad at all.... Shea Theodore, Troy Terry, Isac Lundestrom, Comtois, Max Jones, Sam Steel, Jacob Larsson, Kase in the 7th round, Nick Ritchie, Marcus Petersson, Hampus Lindholm, Rickard Rackell, John Gibson, Frederik Andersen, William Karlsson, Josh Manson, Cam Fowler

There are more too.... 

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

All the names being mooted are under-cooked except Madden, who actually has the profile of a guy who might be ready to be GM in the traditional sense. The trouble is, his actual track record suggests no particular gifts - more that he’s just another generic member in good standing of the NHL old boys’ club. 

I disagree with that.  His work in Anaheim suggests one of the best Amateur Scouts in the NHL. 

11 hours ago, Commandant said:

I disagree with that.  His work in Anaheim suggests one of the best Amateur Scouts in the NHL. 

Well, if that’s the case, then he definitely should be the guy. 

1 hour ago, illWill said:

I vote for Habs29 for the next GM

Commandant as president and Habs29 as GM! It would be the Habsworld Dream Team. Plus, imagine the epic front-office arguments…

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Commandant as president and Habs29 as GM! It would be the Habsworld Dream Team. Plus, imagine the epic front-office arguments…

But the forum would suffer because they couldn't contribute any longer

46 minutes ago, DON said:

I really want to toss in Patrick Roy into mgmt group somehow...spice it up 1000%.

https://www.nhl.com/news/scotty-bowman-likes-montreal-management-changes/c-328512466

Bite your tongue, good sir

1 hour ago, DON said:

I really want to toss in Patrick Roy into mgmt group somehow...spice it up 1000%.

https://www.nhl.com/news/scotty-bowman-likes-montreal-management-changes/c-328512466

I would much rather have Scotty as an advisor (I expect he is not looking for full-time employment at this point).

18 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

I would much rather have Scotty as an advisor (I expect he is not looking for full-time employment at this point).

At 88, i expect your expectation is correct. 

I also get, from all the examples of poor coaching decisions, that we all should be hoping house cleaning includes everyone behind the bench as well and those pink slips will be coming mid-april?

38 minutes ago, DON said:

At 88, i expect your expectation is correct. 

I also get, from all the examples of poor coaching decisions, that we all should be hoping house cleaning includes everyone behind the bench as well and those pink slips will be coming mid-april?

I cannot imagine that DD will be coach next season. His team has little structure, erratic work ethic (and that's being polite), and zero accountability. Many of his players are producing well below their career norms. The D coverage is chaos. In the radio broadcast for the Vancouver game, colour commentator Corey Hirsch observed at one point in the third period: 'This Montreal team does not work.' That is a damning indictment. Apart from one great playoff run - which one strongly suspects had more to do with veterans taking charge than adept coaching - he has been a disaster.

3 hours ago, DON said:

And then Patrick could hire his old buddy Mario to coach. It just might work? 

59 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I cannot imagine that DD will be coach next season. His team has little structure, erratic work ethic (and that's being polite), and zero accountability. Many of his players are producing well below their career norms. The D coverage is chaos.

The only scenario that I can see where Ducharme survives into the next season is that the new management gives him clear marching orders on what they expect and he then follows through with a thorough change of approach to coaching the team.

And I wouldn't bet on that happening.

11 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

The only scenario that I can see where Ducharme survives into the next season is that the new management gives him clear marching orders on what they expect and he then follows through with a thorough change of approach to coaching the team.

And I wouldn't bet on that happening.

I don't see that happening.  It doesn't work where management tells a coach how to coach.  A coach can't be a puppet, players see through that and lose respect. If the coach doesn't fit in with your philosophy then you find a new one. A coach can't try and be something they are not. 

I don't expect Ducharme to be back next year but I also recognize how difficult it was for him.  When you lose a Price, Weber, Edmundson, Danault, etc  it's hard to compete.  That's an enormous amount of defence and leadership to lose. Another loss that few talk about is Tatar. He was one of their best scorers during the regular season when he was here. It is most definitely rebuild time. 

We also lost Perry and Staal. 

One was more valuable than the other but just saying....

There’s even Paul Byron. It’s not like he wore an “A” or anything...

20 hours ago, Commandant said:

Madden has been the Ducks version of Trevor Timmins, so he has been heavy in the draft. 

I don't think their drafting is bad at all.... Shea Theodore, Troy Terry, Isac Lundestrom, Comtois, Max Jones, Sam Steel, Jacob Larsson, Kase in the 7th round, Nick Ritchie, Marcus Petersson, Hampus Lindholm, Rickard Rackell, John Gibson, Frederik Andersen, William Karlsson, Josh Manson, Cam Fowler

There are more too.... 

I stand corrected, which is no surprise.

I had to check for myself to understand what was not catching my eye.

ANA had two stellar drafts in 2010 and 2011, where MTL had to disastrous drafts in those years

after that, it is interesting to see how ANA had a sort of rhythm while the Habs where very inconsistent

I stopped at 2017 because 2018 was a very different draft by MTL, and some of the key prospects are still with their junior/university teams.

Thanks for pushing me to learn a little more. Maybe one day I'll evolve from potato to gnocchi or vodka !

2 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I stand corrected, which is no surprise.

I had to check for myself to understand what was not catching my eye.

ANA had two stellar drafts in 2010 and 2011, where MTL had to disastrous drafts in those years

after that, it is interesting to see how ANA had a sort of rhythm while the Habs where very inconsistent

I stopped at 2017 because 2018 was a very different draft by MTL, and some of the key prospects are still with their junior/university teams.

Thanks for pushing me to learn a little more. Maybe one day I'll evolve from potato to gnocchi or vodka !

Interestingly (to me anyway) TSN690 had someone on this afternoon, for the life of me can't remember his name, who did a analysis of the 2006-2016 drafts for, I believe, some academic purpose and found Anaheim was one of the best teams in that period for players they drafted playing at least 200 games in the NHL ... Habs were one of the very worst ... he picked 200 games because to differentiate between players who really made the NHL and those who played some games in the NHL.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, GHT120 said:

Interestingly (to me anyway) TSN690 had someone on this afternoon, for the life of me can't remember his name, who did a analysis of the 2006-2016 drafts for, I believe, some academic purpose and found Anaheim was one of the best teams in that period for players they drafted playing at least 200 games in the NHL ... Habs were one of the very worst ... he picked 200 games because to differentiate between players who really made the NHL and those who played some games in the NHL.

Yeah, if this and Commandant’s interpretation is correct, then Madden would be the no-brainer choice IMHO - IF he is interested. Coming to Montreal as second banana may not be all that much of an upgrade over his current role.

I read somewhere that Madden is very introverted and doesn't like the spotlight. If that is true, I wonder if Molson could spend enough to lure him north as Timmins replacement? It would be another AGM role, but if he had any interest in being closer to home....

22 minutes ago, PMAC said:

I read somewhere that Madden is very introverted and doesn't like the spotlight. If that is true, I wonder if Molson could spend enough to lure him north as Timmins replacement? It would be another AGM role, but if he had any interest in being closer to home....

Not everyone wants to operate under the microscope.  Madden has done an excellent job and is very passionate about his job as a scout as per this interview. 

Here is the spreadsheet with the draft picks side by side.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1kFR6ACXQeJRlwLxPSy_vzblIcYy-yFv3/edit?usp=sharing&ouid=115042049756351982926&rtpof=true&sd=true

I added stats to compare them by, but in the end number of games played is the most telling