Nov. 6, Vegas vs Montreal, 7 PM

dlbalr

What in the world was Ducharme thinking pulling Allen that early without control of the puck?  The Habs can't win a faceoff with any sort of consistency to take the risk of having him out without puck control.  They've done it several times this season and it has been the same result each time - a goal allowed.  How can he not figure that out?  Have Allen at the blueline - if they get control, send him to the bench.  If they lose it, keep him in the net. 

With the Habs not mustering up much, I can't sit here and say that this cost them the game.  But that doesn't excuse the fundamentally stupid mistake that he continues to make. 

5 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

What in the world was Ducharme thinking pulling Allen that early without control of the puck?  The Habs can't win a faceoff with any sort of consistency to take the risk of having him out without puck control.  They've done it several times this season and it has been the same result each time - a goal allowed.  How can he not figure that out?  Have Allen at the blueline - if they get control, send him to the bench.  If they lose it, keep him in the net. 

With the Habs not mustering up much, I can't sit here and say that this cost them the game.  But that doesn't excuse the fundamentally stupid mistake that he continues to make. 

If we weren’t so bad, regardless of who will behind the bench, I think he’d be fired by next week. The team sucked, and is thin in talent, but the coaching has been horrible.

34 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Couldn’t agree more.

27 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

If we weren’t so bad, regardless of who will behind the bench, I think he’d be fired by next week. The team sucked, and is thin in talent, but the coaching has been horrible.

Molson already let Bergevin give DD a new contract that goes two years beyond MB's contract (perhaps beyond his leaving) ... doubt Molson lets him commit the team to another coach (doubt it would be for less than 3 years) unless Marc first signs and extension and will be around to have to "live with" the new guy (not that I am hoping for that) ... it would be Marc's fourth coach since being hired ... third firing in five years ... second in less than a calendar year.

Best hockey of this season for first twenty minutes and then pure hot garbage for forty. It stunk.

overall on back end they cannot consistently box out, protect the slot, yet they also aren’t puck movers…???

The defensive coverage was bad for most of the d.

kulak was very bad, he needs to sit/be put on waivers.

Romanov was relatively good.

The Anderson/Dvorak/Hoffman experiment needs to end, they seem to keep ending up together, especially Andersom/Dvorak duo.  Anderson was kind of soft tonight, needs to read his chances better and know when to cut wide and when to fake that and cut in for shot. 

8 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Molson already let Bergevin give DD a new contract that goes two years beyond MB's contract (perhaps beyond his leaving) ... doubt Molson lets him commit the team to another coach (doubt it would be for less than 3 years) unless Marc first signs and extension and will be around to have to "live with" the new guy (not that I am hoping for that) ... it would be Marc's fourth coach since being hired ... third firing in five years ... second in less than a calendar year.

And somehow he keeps his job… how many times can he fire a coach without getting fired himself.. he hired these coaches..

I liked the Lehkonen-Dvorak-Armia line looked solid. They should play together all the time

The Suzuki line is doing well, they also should play together all the time

And the 4th line is much better with Evans. I also like Pezzetta in a limited role. He is not a liability like Paquette

now, it Drouin does a similar job as he did when he played centre with the Habs when he first came to the team, we should have a bottom 10 lineup, good some night and competitive some others.

Edmundson and Price will help the D/defensive part of the game. We will get a good pick next year

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

Well. I think I made my views of Bergevin pretty clear, but apparently it’s his job to keep if he wants it. I actually think Jean Perron looks like a better coach that bumbled his way to a cup (thanks to veterans like Gainey and Robinson), than DD at this stage.

1 hour ago, hockeyrealist said:

Best hockey of this season for first twenty minutes and then pure hot garbage for forty. It stunk.

overall on back end they cannot consistently box out, protect the slot, yet they also aren’t puck movers…???

The defensive coverage was bad for most of the d.

kulak was very bad, he needs to sit/be put on waivers.

Romanov was relatively good.

The Anderson/Dvorak/Hoffman experiment needs to end, they seem to keep ending up together, especially Andersom/Dvorak duo.  Anderson was kind of soft tonight, needs to read his chances better and know when to cut wide and when to fake that and cut in for shot. 

Anderson had the same issue with KK in the playoffs last year. They were both always next to each other. He played well with Suzuki. I’d try him with Suzuki and Taffoli, until Caufield is ready to return (which should not be rushed - let him tear it up and Laval).

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I definitely spoke too soon.  No worries, they will crush the Kings on Monday night. 

Is that meant to be an early jinx to support the tank😉

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I liked the Lehkonen-Dvorak-Armia line looked solid. They should play together all the time

The Suzuki line is doing well, they also should play together all the time

And the 4th line is much better with Evans. I also like Pezzetta in a limited role. He is not a liability like Paquette

now, it Drouin does a similar job as he did when he played centre with the Habs when he first came to the team, we should have a bottom 10 lineup, good some night and competitive some others.

Edmundson and Price will help the D/defensive part of the game. We will get a good pick next year

I don’t know why we are experimenting with Drouin as a centre again - he already proved he isn’t a centre. Let’s just hope he can be a a consistent winger. As for Dvorak, so we gave up a 1st and 2nd for a guy who is going to be centring Armia and Lekhonan (a guy who kills offensive chances - unfortunately at both ends of the ice). Really???

13 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I don’t know why we are experimenting with Drouin as a centre again - he already proved he isn’t a centre. Let’s just hope he can be a a consistent winger. As for Dvorak, so we gave up a 1st and 2nd for a guy who is going to be centring Armia and Lekhonan (a guy who kills offensive chances - unfortunately at both ends of the ice). Really???

just trying to find the positives.

Dvorak is inneffective in an offensive role. He seems to fit better a crash and bang role. Probably Anderson-Dvorak-Gallagher would work better, but tonight he looked good with the two Fins

I a,so liked Gallagher's game this evening. 4 shots, drew penalties and got an assist

Dvorak should be in the press box.

-3 and -5 in his last two games respectively.

Even though we don’t like that stat.

10 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

One of the hallmarks of a bad hockey team is that they are forced by a lack of talent into using guys in roles for which they are not suited. Of *course* Drouin should not be a C - just as you say, we need him to just focus on being a consistent hockey player, not learn a new position. Similarly, of course Savard should not be a top-4 D, but there it is. 

As for Dvorak, the guy is a proven NHLer. If he craps out in Montreal, that is a big disaster for us given that we lost our #2 and #3 C last off-season and have no real top-6 C prospect coming up through the system. He and the coaches have to figure it out.

So much about this team reminds me of the late Houle years. A couple of bright spots, and then just endless pits of darkness.

14 hours ago, brobin said:

And somehow he keeps his job… how many times can he fire a coach without getting fired himself.. he hired these coaches..

12 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Well. I think I made my views of Bergevin pretty clear, but apparently it’s his job to keep if he wants it. I actually think Jean Perron looks like a better coach that bumbled his way to a cup (thanks to veterans like Gainey and Robinson), than DD at this stage.

I agree ... hence " (not that I am hoping for that) " ... I'm not entirely convinced Bergevin is interested in staying; and, if he is, Marc clearly is not willing to accept what Molson thinks he is worth (and this season is doing nothing to convince Geoff to up his offer) ... I'm not entirely convinced Molson wants Bergevin back and this process isn't just a passive aggressive "firing" (i.e., Geoff doesn't want to deal with firing him so just play it out and let him leave) ... and if he does, he clearly doesn't want to offer what Bergevin wants (others the deal would be done).

IMO, Bergevin is currently the ACTING General Manager of the Montreal Canadiens ... his situation is exactly the same as would be, for example, Mellanby if Marc were fired and Scott appointed to finish out the season.

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

One of the hallmarks of a bad hockey team is that they are forced by a lack of talent into using guys in roles for which they are not suited. Of *course* Drouin should not be a C - just as you say, we need him to just focus on being a consistent hockey player, not learn a new position. Similarly, of course Savard should not be a top-4 D, but there it is. 

As for Dvorak, the guy is a proven NHLer. If he craps out in Montreal, that is a big disaster for us given that we lost our #2 and #3 C last off-season and have no real top-6 C prospect coming up through the system. He and the coaches have to figure it out.

So much about this team reminds me of the late Houle years. A couple of bright spots, and then just endless pits of darkness.

Jeff Hackett/Jose Theodore  

Eric Weinrich   - Patrice Brisebois   
Vladimir Malakhov   - Sheldon Souray    

Karl Dykhuis  - Craig Rivet    

Francis Bouillon    , Stephane Robidas 
Shayne Corson     -  Saku Koivu  -  Brian Savage    

Martin Rucinsky    - Trevor Linden    - Dainius Zubrus    

Benoit Brunet    - Sergei Zholtok    -  Oleg Petrov    
Juha Lind     - Mike Ribeiro     -  Turner Stevenson  
Patrick Poulin , Matt Higgins    

Why do I feel like that 2000 lineup is better than this year's ? Notalgia?

7 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I was a real Vlad fan ... recall a great job he did against Malkin in the playoffs ... he was somewhat like Kovalev ... HUGE talent but didn't deliver consistently. 

There are definitely similarities with this season's lineup.

3 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Well, if there’s a positive, this forum exists because of folks that bonded on ESPN boards during those dark years. So there’s that, I guess.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Ha! That team is in part an optical illusion. Linden was washed up by the time we got him. Ribeiro was just starting, not yet close to being the quality offensive pivot he eventually became. Robidas we ended up throwing away on waivers, so he too was years away from being the stalwart he evolved into. Souray also was years away from finding his footing as a crazily explosive PP point man. Savage never did become anything, and we were still clinging to the hope that he was a top-tier W at that point. Malakhov had Norris talent but was the sort of guy who just sucks the life out a team, because he had no interest in working hard. The point being, the *names* look more impressive than the reality at that juncture.

Still, the D corps really isn’t horrible. Weinrich and Breezer were legit second-pairing guys. There is a clutch of legitimate bottom-pairing D as well. It’s at the first-pairing level where that group is in trouble.