Nov. 6, Vegas vs Montreal, 7 PM

dlbalr

26 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Ha! That team is in part an optical illusion. Linden was washed up by the time we got him. Ribeiro was just starting, not yet close to being the quality offensive pivot he eventually became. Robidas we ended up throwing away on waivers, so he too was years away from being the stalwart he evolved into. Souray also was years away from finding his footing as a crazily explosive PP point man. Savage never did become anything, and we were still clinging to the hope that he was a top-tier W at that point. Malakhov had Norris talent but was the sort of guy who just sucks the life out a team, because he had no interest in working hard. The point being, the *names* look more impressive than the reality at that juncture.

Still, the D corps really isn’t horrible. Weinrich and Breezer were legit second-pairing guys. There is a clutch of legitimate bottom-pairing D as well. It’s at the first-pairing level where that group is in trouble.

That defense was crap. Having said that, it makes out current D look worse than crap.

45 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Petry is getting to the end of his rope ... yelling at teammates on the bench Saturday night

He was right to be mad. Team had given up by that play and he was not having it

19 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

He was right to be mad. Team had given up by that play and he was not having it

NO he wasnt, 2a in 13games, shut up and play better jackass, before you start bitching about your teammates! If Allen, or maybe Suzuki what to bitch, they are entitled, the rest no. 

(maybe example why team not doing great, with leaders like this?)

2 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

At what point during the game was this?

TVA article says it was in the 3rd period

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

At what point during the game was this?

It was late, Petry had the puck on the far side from the bench in his zone. Looked up to make a pass and all the forwards were heading for a change with their backs to Petry

No freaking support

Petry got

checked against the boards as he was clearing the puck them cam to the bench, slammed the door twice and yelled across the bench to the others

2 hours ago, DON said:

NO he wasnt, 2a in 13games, shut up and play better jackass, before you start bitching about your teammates! If Allen, or maybe Suzuki what to bitch, they are entitled, the rest no. 

(maybe example why team not doing great, with leaders like this?)

Not sure what 2a has to do with anything.  As a defenseman, the number 1 guy he should be the last Hab In the offensive zone and first out.  I don’t know about you but the team I’ve been watching so far isn’t spending much time in the offensive zone and even less getting the puck on Petry’s stick.  

On that play he’s looking for a tip to negate the icing and Dvorak is the only player that can do that, but is already well committed to going off the ice and ignoring the play.  No synchronization or care of what is actually going on.  Petry probably has noticed this trend from either Dvorak or the team and, as the assistant captain, has full right to go off on the bench.  Leadership isn’t always pretty.

1 hour ago, TurdBurglar said:

as the assistant captain, has full right to go off on the bench. 

I disagree that was correct move by him.

In the room, sure,  not freaking out like a teenager on the bench.

Did his tantrum help, short or long term? Is it an effective motivation tactic, not sure is recommended?

But, i can understand him doing it and most Hab players are likely frustrated at losing.

But, is lots more losing too come, so Petry should be trying to figure out why he has 0 goals when Chiarot 2g, Romanov 1g, Wideman 1g and Niku has contributed exact same to Habs offense in couple games as Petry has.

Shut up and play better Petry is what i think. Hopefully he is just getting one of his dead periods, that he has every year, out of way early, gives his head a shake and snaps out of it sooner than later. 

26 minutes ago, DON said:

I disagree that was correct move by him.

In the room, sure,  not freaking out like a teenager on the bench.

Did his tantrum help, short or long term? Is it an effective motivation tactic, not sure is recommended?

But, i can understand him doing it and most Hab players are likely frustrated at losing.

But, is lots more losing too come, so Petry should be trying to figure out why he has 0 goals when Chiarot 2g, Romanov 1g, Wideman 1g and Niku has contributed exact same to Habs offense in couple games as Petry has.

Shut up and play better Petry is what i think. Hopefully he is just getting one of his dead periods, that he has every year, out of way early, gives his head a shake and snaps out of it sooner than later. 

R-O-B-O-T <> P-E-T-R-Y

give him some slack, he should not be playing hurt.

4 hours ago, TurdBurglar said:

Leadership isn’t always pretty.

True, Petry is a veteran and allowed to get frustrated. Perhaps behind closed doors is better but he is human and not happy with losing which is a good thing. I will certainly give Petry some latitude on this one. 

2 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

True, Petry is a veteran and allowed to get frustrated. Perhaps behind closed doors is better but he is human and not happy with losing which is a good thing. I will certainly give Petry some latitude on this one. 

And who knows what he has already tried behind closed doors.

the athletic;

"But the creation of this new power play unit was not without its victims as Jeff Petry, who has long been the Canadiens’ most used defenceman on the power play, has seen Chris Wideman take his place on the first unit over the last three games"

"Petry has attempted 14 shots on the power play in 13 games this season, but only five of them hit the net. "

7 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

This team is a dumpster fire

Two sayings come to mind when I think of this team.

Rome wasn’t built in a day, but once it started falling, it burnt to that ground pretty quickly. Thai team wasn’t Rome to begin with. If anything it was the hastily built army of Barbarians that had a unexpected run of victories before become lambs for the slaughter.

the second - the emperor has no clothing. The team that went to the finals, was not even close to being a real contender. It was a clearly a pretender, that had a unique series of circumstances that allowed it to get to the final. It’s now exposed fir what it really is, a really, really, poorly constructed team.

20 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Two sayings come to mind when I think of this team.

Rome wasn’t built in a day, but once it started falling, it burnt to that ground pretty quickly. Thai team wasn’t Rome to begin with. If anything it was the hastily built army of Barbarians that had a unexpected run of victories before become lambs for the slaughter.

the second - the emperor has no clothing. The team that went to the finals, was not even close to being a real contender. It was a clearly a pretender, that had a unique series of circumstances that allowed it to get to the final. It’s now exposed fir what it really is, a really, really, poorly constructed team.

Well - I disagree with the claim that we were not "real contenders." We gutted out a win against TO, demolished Winnipeg, and solidly handled Vegas. That group did get fortunate breaks inasmuch as Tavares and that idiot Scheifle were removed from the picture, but the latter did it to himself with irresponsible play, so that "counts."

We were a team that was built for the playoffs and showed it. 

However, the team has now subtracted Perry, Danault, and Weber, while Price and Edmundson have been unavailable. Those are five key pieces to the run, along with Kotkaniemi, who played well in a checking role. So whatever the 2021 team was, this team isn't it.

I agree on the rest. Time to say arrivederci to Biceps Bergevin. I won't cry if Timmins is shown the door either. 

(Interesting question about Timmins: if the team had kept McDonagh, Sergachev, and Eller Kotkaniemi, would we be feeling as grumpy toward his track record? Asking honestly).

18 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

(Interesting question about Timmins: if the team had kept McDonagh, Sergachev, and Eller Kotkaniemi, would we be feeling as grumpy toward his track record? Asking honestly).

It's not Timmins fault when the GM trades guys too early.  They actually drafted great in 2007, McDonagh at 12 and Pacioretty at 22. There were a lot of misses in the 1st round that year but the Habs nailed both, of course the McDonagh trade was awful and all on the GM (Gainey). 

Just now, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

It's not Timmins fault when the GM trades guys too early.  They actually drafted great in 2007, McDonagh at 12 and Pacioretty at 22. There were a lot of misses in the 1st round that year but the Habs nailed both, of course the McDonagh trade was awful and all on the GM (Gainey). 

I am very curious, how much Bergevin/Gainey/Ghost differed from Timmins suggested picks?

Like, did Timmins favour McCarron or was that Bergevin.

Or when drafting 5-6 d-men in same year obviously someone is favoring selecting d-men, is it Timmins, Bergevin or little of both?

When selecting a centre at #3, simply because he was a centre and the NHL team needed centres played a big part in selection, i assume?

19 minutes ago, DON said:

I am very curious, how much Bergevin/Gainey/Ghost differed from Timmins suggested picks?

Like, did Timmins favour McCarron or was that Bergevin.

Or when drafting 5-6 d-men in same year obviously someone is favoring selecting d-men, is it Timmins, Bergevin or little of both?

When selecting a centre at #3, simply because he was a centre and the NHL team needed centres played a big part in selection, i assume?

That's a great question. How often does a GM decide on their own who the pick will be?  It seems to be pretty well known in Edmonton that in 2012 the Edmonton scouts wanted to take Ryan Murray at #1 and not Yakupov but they weren't listened to. 

46 minutes ago, DON said:

... Like, did Timmins favour McCarron or was that Bergevin ...

Or was Timmins making the selection he wanted or, if MB did not directly intervene, the selection he THOUGHT the GM wanted.