Carey Price Statement

GHT120

"Over the last few years I have let myself get to a very dark place and I didn't have the tools to cope with that struggle.

"Last month I made the decision to enter a residential treatment facility for substance use. Things had reached a point that I realized I needed to prioritize my health for both myself and for my family. Asking for help when you need it is what we encourage our kids to do. And it was what I needed to do.

"I am working through years of neglecting my own mental health which will take some time to repair; all I can do is take it day by day. With that comes some uncertainty with when I will return to play.

"I appreciate all of the overwhelming support and well wishes. I please ask that the media and our hockey community continue to respect our privacy at this time. Your support and respect of this so far has been a critical piece to my recovery."

Carey

I’d been wondering if substance use was the issue, wonder if pain meds created an addiction? Not that those details matter and I wish him the best. Can’t help but wonder though.

what also strikes me is the stark difference between his statement and those made/being made today by DD. Seems a big disconnect in the issue, time line, expectations.

Price’s statement sounds to me like he won’t be back nearly as soon (if ever) as DD has been making it out to be, sounds like Price really doesn’t consider playing hockey as an important factor in his timeline (and I fine with that, think that is best).  DD is talking about therapy, rehab, conditioning as though he has no clue there is more to it, he’s been volunteering updates for the last week or so quite regularly. It’s like he is oblivious to reality and spews whatever coaches lingo he thinks is proper.
This adds to my continually increasing disdain for DD.

Given today’s Statement, I  wouldn’t be wholly surprised if Price doesn’t play again. 

My gut told me it was an addiction to painkillers from the outset.  He's had a bad knee (or is it both knees?) for awhile now, and probably put off this latest operation for awhile to keep on playing.  The protestations that it wasn't a substance issue felt like a smokescreen, and now we know it was.

38 minutes ago, hockeyrealist said:

... DD is talking about therapy, rehab, conditioning as though he has no clue there is more to it ...

DD's statements were made at least a couple of hours before Carey opened up about the cause, so he could really only speak to the "hockey" preparation ... think DD (not that I am a huge fan) was just laying out the incremental steps for Carey to get physically ready ... I can only assume that if there was an ongoing need for further "substance" treatment Price would not have re-joined the team ... addressing those issues obviously comes before any physical/hockey preparation ... but it is also possible that his medical advisors feel that the best environment for that ongoing substance recovery to continue is in the "world of hickey" (his life work since he was a very young man)  ... but I see no guarantee that because he is starting the physical preparations it will be a linear undertaking, and that it may be interrupted/delayed if his substance recovery needs more support.

• Upvote 1

Whatever it is, I hope the 30 day detox coupled with a great support structure around him means he's past it for good.  I've been to the funeral of two friends who didn't even make it to their 40th birthdays because of substance abuse.  I witnessed many relapses before they finally ran out of chances to get clean...it's horrific to see.

• Like 2

For what it’s worth - not much - I was shocked to read this, having persuaded myself that post-Cup depression or anxiety were the likeliest culprits. Price just did not seem to my totally amateur eye “addiction” material. Too balanced, too steady. However, the painkiller hypothesis makes tremendous sense. Wasn’t it the goalie coach last year who basically commented that he is in constant pain?  

Anyway, God bless Carey Price for confronting his demons and for having the courage to share with the public what he has gone through. You da man, Carey Price.

27 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

For what it’s worth - not much - I was shocked to read this, having persuaded myself that post-Cup depression or anxiety were the likeliest culprits. Price just did not seem to my totally amateur eye “addiction” material. Too balanced, too steady. However, the painkiller hypothesis makes tremendous sense. Wasn’t it the goalie coach last year who basically commented that he is in constant pain?

I think so, too. He certainly doesn't have the drug-fueled-partying kind of personality, but (opioid?) painkillers would make a lot of sense.

Perhaps it's focus and concentration-related drugs like adderall or speed that get him 'in the zone'.  He certainly seems to be able to flip a switch from inconsistent to locked in.  If that's the case, famously unflappable Carey's mental stability will be called into question.

I agree with engels on this one. All guessing or fabricating scenarios will do is make it harder on him. It was very brave of him to come out with that statement.  It's on us and the media to respect it and avoid speculation without facts.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

I agree with engels on this one. All guessing or fabricating scenarios will do is make it harder on him. It was very brave of him to come out with that statement.  It's on us and the media to respect it and avoid speculation without facts.

You think whether or not we speculate on this board will have an effect on Carey?  

As a public figure he knows people are speculating about him. We're not among the people he knows about.

20 minutes ago, Neech said:

You think whether or not we speculate on this board will have an effect on Carey?  

As a public figure he knows people are speculating about him. We're not among the people he knows about.

Secretly Commandant is Carey Price, which is why he seems like he knows more than he should.

56 minutes ago, Neech said:

Maybe, maybe not. The effect from this particular forum? Probably not. Spread out over an entire fan and media base, our words begin to matter. I think avoiding speculation is very important in this case.