Nov 9, 2021: Return of the King Phil D. Habs vs Kings

hockeyrealist

8 hours ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Merely the only team in the NHL that hasn’t lost in regulation over the last 10 games. In other words, the other hottest team in the NHL.

I expect a win. 

Flames did look poor last night va sharks, worst play I’ve seen by them this year (have seen about half of their games).

They either come out with vengeance or are entering a lull and a good time for Habs to play them.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

11 hours ago, GHT120 said:

I agree ... maybe not on a regular basis ... yet ... but would love him as the 12/13th forward if they could find a way to swing it cap/roster-wise ... but he needs some experience/seasoning to not get baited like he was with Lemieux

This is his fourth professional season - he's had the seasoning.  This is just who he is as a player; he was like that in junior and in Laval (which led to his benchings at times).  He's hard to trust as a result and doesn't bring enough to the table to justify the risk of having him in when he loses his cool which is usually once every few games. 

1 hour ago, hockeyrealist said:

Hard to believe Price will be back this month, or even this season really.  Doesn’t seem much reason to push for it aside from his desire, but his statement screams to me that hockey is not a priority (nor should it be).

That's definitely a possibility, although then I would have expected him to stay in the program longer.

I think the optimistic view is 3-4 weeks, but we really don't know the details on his situation.

Flames did look poor last night va sharks, worst play I’ve seen by them this year (have seen about half of their games).

They either come out with vengeance or are entering a lull and a good time for Habs to play them.

I go with entering a lull. The Flames have played over their heads the first part of the season. They are not THAT good. The Habs will bring them back to earth. 

Just saw the highlights as I couldn't catch the game last night, beauty goal by Evans. There is definitely some offensive upside there. 

9 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

That's definitely a possibility, although then I would have expected him to stay in the program longer.

I think the optimistic view is 3-4 weeks, but we really don't know the details on his situation.

If painkillers are indeed the issue, then I am really at a loss to see how putting his body through the meat-grinder of regularly playing goal in the NHL will help his recovery. 

Indeed - keeping in mind that this is all guesswork - if it’s pain and therefore painkillers at the root of the issue, then returning to the game feels disconcertingly close to the behaviour of an addict who returns to the environment that fostered their addiction in the first place.

Now no doubt, the NHL assistance program is aware of these concerns and has strategies for helping players deal with them. But I’ll admit to being worried on behalf of #31. From the sound of it, and considering his age and injury history, he is not going to tend goal without pain at this point, and with pain will come a heightened risk of either poor performance or the need for painkillers. It would be better to retire than put himself in that untenable a situation.

7shots on net for Hoffman, nice, 6 for Chiarot.:clap:

1 shot for Gallagher/Petry. Booo!

23:06 for Dvorak, seems alot.

Hey, are just tied for last in Atlantic now, Sens only have 7 pts also (couple fewer games though).

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

That's definitely a possibility, although then I would have expected him to stay in the program longer ...

From my (thankfully) very limited understanding, TREATMENT need not be exclusively "residential/isolated" ... I suspect Carey will remain under active treatment for some time yet as part of his daily regime ... but it is simply in a different environment.

1 hour ago, DON said:

23:06 for Dvorak, seems alot.

With no Paquette for most of the game, the Habs were running three centres most of the night.  Add that to the fact that Dvorak sees plenty of special teams time and takes a lot of key faceoffs and you wind up with that type of number for ice time.

1 hour ago, DON said:

1 shot for Gallagher/Petry. Booo!

Gallagher probably has more goals off of his ass than from shots over his career. The issue I see with him is he just isn't mixing it up enough in the crease. I hope it reverses cuz oh my, what an albatross contract if he can't play that way anymore. 

4 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

Gallagher probably has more goals off of his ass than from shots over his career. The issue I see with him is he just isn't mixing it up enough in the crease. I hope it reverses cuz oh my, what an albatross contract if he can't play that way anymore. 

He's lost a step and has taken a lot of damage over the years.  We could see when he was 22 that he wasn't a guy who would be as effective in his 30's.  

Maybe all our big money albatrosses will just take the Weber route and retire to LTIR at some point, because I don't see any other teams wanting them.

21 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

If painkillers are indeed the issue, then I am really at a loss to see how putting his body through the meat-grinder of regularly playing goal in the NHL will help his recovery. 

Indeed - keeping in mind that this is all guesswork - if it’s pain and therefore painkillers at the root of the issue, then returning to the game feels disconcertingly close to the behaviour of an addict who returns to the environment that fostered their addiction in the first place.

Now no doubt, the NHL assistance program is aware of these concerns and has strategies for helping players deal with them. But I’ll admit to being worried on behalf of #31. From the sound of it, and considering his age and injury history, he is not going to tend goal without pain at this point, and with pain will come a heightened risk of either poor performance or the need for painkillers. It would be better to retire than put himself in that untenable a situation.

Good point about the environment, would be tough no matter the issue with so much Time on the road, away from family, old haunts type of thing.  No matter what substance is was, the lifestyle is not conducive to sobriety if you have the taste for something, living on the road, etc.

obv wish him the best, but feel concern is valid.

Addicts don’t do well when put back into same environnement but obv he is learning/developing strategies/techniques to cope.

19 hours ago, dlbalr said:

With no Paquette for most of the game, the Habs were running three centres most of the night.  Add that to the fact that Dvorak sees plenty of special teams time and takes a lot of key faceoffs and you wind up with that type of number for ice time.

Exactly what I was thinking, but also wondering why he keep getting PP time?  He hasn’t done anything to warrant keeping his spot there and could help spread out his ice Time.  And to boot, they have him on same unit as Suzuki so the other unit has no natural centre, seems foolish to me, particularly given his lack of offensive punch.

Exactly what I was thinking, but also wondering why he keep getting PP time?  He hasn’t done anything to warrant keeping his spot there and could help spread out his ice Time.  And to boot, they have him on same unit as Suzuki so the other unit has no natural centre, seems foolish to me, particularly given his lack of offensive punch.

Because we need to win PP faceoffs.

2 hours ago, hockeyrealist said:

Doesn’t explain the second unit having no centreman while doubling up on first. 

I think their options are rather limited until some C-capable players (Drouin, Perreault, Paquette) return from injuries. Is this the best option? It makes PP2 worse, but they try to compensate by having PP1 take on bulk of the PP time.