Nov. 11: Flames @ Habs - The Remembrance of Wins Past edition

Good write up here: https://montrealgazette.com/sports/hockey/nhl/hockey-inside-out/canadiens-vs-flames-nov-11-2021-five-things-you-should-know

Kirk Muller returns to the Bell Centre. Apparently he was a terrible associate coach in Montreal but has somehow been transformed overnight into an excellent associate coach in Calgary. 🤔

Habs projected lineup, courtesy Daily Faceoff:

MIKE HOFFMAN

NICK SUZUKI

TYLER TOFFOLI

JOSH ANDERSON

CHRISTIAN DVORAK

BRENDAN GALLAGHER

ARTTURI LEHKONEN

JAKE EVANS

JOEL ARMIA

MICHAEL PEZZETTA

RYAN POEHLING

ALEX BELZILE
DEFENSIVE PAIRINGS

BEN CHIAROT

JEFF PETRY

ALEXANDER ROMANOV

CHRIS WIDEMAN

BRETT KULAK

DAVID SAVARD

Flames’ projected lineup, courtesy of Hockeyrealist below:

1C4E8AD7-9B29-4054-B8AE-8FB735099370.jpeg

And, as a reminder that - unlike whatever transpires tonight - some battles actually matter:

image.jpeg

18 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I just saw the interview with Poehling, maturity is not an issue any more, he has really grown up. I am cheering for him.  

Or he has been well coached by his agent ... I am always cautious to invest too much in "words" ... hopefully you are correct.

12 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Or he has been well coached by his agent ... I am always cautious to invest too much in "words" ... hopefully you are correct.

I think his play in Laval has indicated more than anything how he has matured. He just needs to prove it at the NHL level now. 

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Good write up here: https://montrealgazette.com/sports/hockey/nhl/hockey-inside-out/canadiens-vs-flames-nov-11-2021-five-things-you-should-know

Kirk Muller returns to the Bell Centre. Apparently he was a terrible associate coach in Montreal but has somehow been transformed overnight into an excellent associate coach in Calgary. 🤔

Habs projected lineup, courtesy Daily Faceoff:

MIKE HOFFMAN

NICK SUZUKI

TYLER TOFFOLI

JOSH ANDERSON

CHRISTIAN DVORAK

BRENDAN GALLAGHER

ARTTURI LEHKONEN

JAKE EVANS

JOEL ARMIA

MICHAEL PEZZETTA

RYAN POEHLING

ALEX BELZILE
DEFENSIVE PAIRINGS

BEN CHIAROT

JEFF PETRY

ALEXANDER ROMANOV

CHRIS WIDEMAN

BRETT KULAK

DAVID SAVARD

Flames’ projected lineup, courtesy NHL.com:

FORWARDS

Johnny Gaudreau - Sean Monahan - Micheal Ferland

Matthew Tkachuk - Mikael Backlund - Michael Frolik

Kris Versteeg - Sam Bennett - Troy Brouwer

Lance Bouma - Matt Stajan - Alex Chiasson

DEFENCE

Mark Giordano - Dougie Hamilton

TJ Brodie - Michael Stone

Matt Bartkowski - Deryk Engelland

GOALTENDER

Brian Elliott

And, as a reminder that - unlike whatever transpires tonight - some battles actually matter:

image.jpeg

Mike Ferland, Folik haha.   Turning back the clock. 

28 minutes ago, hockeyrealist said:

Mike Ferland, Folik haha.   Turning back the clock. 

Holy crap, I used an outdated link! This is why I don't make more GDTs, LOL.

1 minute ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

D'oh, 2-1 Flames.  Sweet move by Magiapane.  Can't really blame Allen on that one. 

Agree. He shot from very close, up at a high angle, the puck glanced off Allen's shoulder and into the top of the net.

Down 2-1 after first, but the level of play tonight (and Tuesday) really is significantly better than in the first half-dozen games of the season. And the injury roll is still just as bad.

4 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

...  Sweet move by Magiapane ...

Sweet enough to cause cavities ... LOTS of teams kicking themselves for passing on him in 2015 draft when he went in the 6th round, 166th pick ... as our interest is the Habs, they had three selections before #166 ... Juulsen (1st round/26th), Vejdemo (3rd/87th and Matt Bradley (5th/131st) ... but lets face it, Calgary wouldn't have selected Pavel Karnaukhov in the 5th if they REALLY knew how good Andrew Mangiapane could be ... he has scored at a 22 goals per 82 games pace, now in his 4th full-time season. 

2 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Agree. He shot from very close, up at a high angle, the puck glanced off Allen's shoulder and into the top of the net.

Down 2-1 after first, but the level of play tonight (and Tuesday) really is significantly better than in the first half-dozen games of the season. And the injury roll is still just as bad.

I think the puck glanced off Allen's shoulder and ricocheted off the post and into the net.  

Either way, it was a hard to make and well placed shot for sure, that should be considered a highlight reel goal.  

I agree, they look a lot better tonight than in most other games this season.  Maybe the Habs can give the Flames their 1st reg loss in games they score 1st.  

I thought it was a high-skill goal by Breadeater.

Habs playing pretty well, but they’ve been doing that pretty steadily for the past 7 or 8 games and finding various ways to lose, as you’d expect of a shi* team.

Anyone else like Hoffman? Good player.

Interesting that Chiarot had 9 goals last season and is scoring this year. We think of him as a plodder and he kind of is, but there is a little bit of offence there.

12 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Sweet enough to cause cavities ... LOTS of teams kicking themselves for passing on him in 2015 draft when he went in the 6th round, 166th pick ... as our interest is the Habs, they had three selections before #166 ... Juulsen (1st round/26th), Vejdemo (3rd/87th and Matt Bradley (5th/131st) ... but lets face it, Calgary wouldn't have selected Pavel Karnaukhov in the 5th if they REALLY knew how good Andrew Mangiapane could be ... he has scored at a 22 goals per 82 games pace, now in his 4th full-time season. 

Wow, that's actually crazy.  I didn't realize that Magiapane was drafted that late.  I figured he must have been a high pick because he is so good.

I said this last year when people were complaining about the Habs sucking and being a bubble team.  It can't really be said that the Flames suck just because they didn't make the playoffs last year.  They definitely have numerous really good players that just about any GM would want on their own team.    

11 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Hmm, a too many men penalty?  Was that not an intentional offside too?  I had small hopes of a 5 on 3 on that play.  

Intentional offside isn't a penalty.  Its just a faceoff in your own zone instead of outside the blueline. 

7 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I thought it was a high-skill goal by Breadeater.

Habs playing pretty well, but they’ve been doing that pretty steadily for the past 7 or 8 games and finding various ways to lose, as you’d expect of a shi* team.

Anyone else like Hoffman? Good player.

Interesting that Chiarot had 9 goals last season and is scoring this year. We think of him as a plodder and he kind of is, but there is a little bit of offence there.

He is very good. I hope they keep him at the trade deadline or that they get max return for him. He is much better than I thought.

===

Also, Romanov having a strong game