Nov. 11: Flames @ Habs - The Remembrance of Wins Past edition

3 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

HAHAHAAAA, 30 seconds after Markstrom gave Suzuki the stink eye for trying to bank one in off him, Slick Nick goes in and does precisely that! What a fabulous F-you play by the kid!!

I Absolutely loved that response by Suzuki.  Awesome!

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Good summary of the game, I loved the Honourable Mention choice, after the 3 stars  :clap:

https://www.habsworld.net/2021/11/habs-effort-leads-to-win-over-flames/

Seems generous to me, he plays 7 minutes meanwhile Chiarot had another strong game, Lehks/Armia we’re strong with Evans as well.   
And Allen locked it down for third period after a questionable 2nd goal given up.   All better choices than Pezetta, nothing against him but c’mon now.

9 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Quiet game by Poehling, which I think it will be his type of play when he establishes himself, "Dvorak light"

I do not know how many FOs he took, but he won a good percentage of them

image.png

Yeah, he apparently did well

in draws. He had a strong third period which was huge and was not out of place overall.

9 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Hmm, interesting.  I noticed the Habs were winning quite a few of the FO's but I didn't realize they won that many.  

Same here, wonder if these stats were helped by Bell Centre statisticians, like the hits thrown stat that is often surprisingly high for Habs.

seemed like lots of scrambled draws all night. 

11 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Quiet game by Poehling, which I think it will be his type of play when he establishes himself, "Dvorak light"

I do not know how many FOs he took, but he won a good percentage of them

image.png

Considering the wingers he played with.  I thought he had a good night 

10 hours ago, BCHabnut said:

Me as well. 14 loyal years and a solid pension, gone. Landed on my feet, but still sucks.

I was in same boat. Was at 12 years and figured I was 12 years away from retiring. Be a lot longer now!

10 hours ago, BCHabnut said:

I Absolutely loved that response by Suzuki.  Awesome!

I’m hoping he can become our first 80 point man since Kovolev - only I’m hoping it won’t be a one time thing! May not be this year, but I think he can get there.

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

The issue the Habs have had with Poehling is how he plays, regardless of who his wingers are ... wingers may limit icetime and definitely can have an impact on scoring ... but the key for Poehling staying with the habs and earning more ice time is to play well and hard in all aspects of the game.

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

Anderson was double shifted to play with Poehling every now and then. He was OK, and took the last faceoff of the game at centre ice which (I guess) is a good sign.

43 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Anderson was double shifted to play with Poehling every now and then. He was OK, and took the last faceoff of the game at centre ice which (I guess) is a good sign.

I don't think that last faceoff had any meaning beyond the fact it was a two-goal game with six seconds to go; if you can't put out a fourth line for that, what can you put them out for?

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I thought was nice to see Pezzaetta line on for last face off, token or not.

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

The issue the Habs have had with Poehling is how he plays, regardless of who his wingers are ... wingers may limit icetime and definitely can have an impact on scoring ... but the key for Poehling staying with the habs and earning more ice time is to play well and hard in all aspects of the game.

He was at 55% possession and 45% xG despite those linemates, that's not bad for his first game though you don't want a better xG.

Belzille was 66 and 64. 

Meanwhile Pezzetta was at 45% possession and 27% xG, he's dragging down the line.  Its pretty clear the line performed really, really well on the shifts Anderson played with them. 

39 minutes ago, Commandant said:

He was at 55% possession and 45% xG despite those linemates, that's not bad for his first game though you don't want a better xG.

Belzille was 66 and 64. 

Meanwhile Pezzetta was at 45% possession and 27% xG, he's dragging down the line.  Its pretty clear the line performed really, really well on the shifts Anderson played with them. 

Expected goals would be an outlier for Pezzetta. Without the fancy stats we all know that there is little to be expected from him and line mates. Also, reduced ice time and small number of games will make his advanced stats swing wildly 

22 hours ago, Commandant said:

Yeah, he stepped it up in third period and was more visible, assertive.

and as per stats he did great in draws so kudos to him for a decent showing.

19 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Noticed Anderson/Gallagher both out with Poehling for a couple brief shifts, seems a good sign for Poehling.

But I do believe it is not good for Anderson and Gallagher to be playing with AHL’ers. They’re being paid a premium to score, not help minor leaguers adjust. Scary state of affairs for centre depth since there aren’t many better choices, Dvorak has been so underwhelming lately after a strong start to preseason/season.   Basically if you are an offensive winger on the Habs and not playing with Suzuki you are ####ed and going to look like a bad contract. 

7 hours ago, Commandant said:

The stats still matter, I don't want a player on the ice who is giving up scoring chances every time he's out there.

Indeed, probably a correlation between the lack of guys running around these days chasing hits/fights (like Pezetta most times) and the overall higher level of play/better coverages across the league.

Guys like Czikias, Clutterbuck, B Tanev who’ve made a career in the bottom 6 did so by NOT being a liability, occasionally contributing but always bringing energy.  

Some vets have adapted to this role and prolonged their careers as well like Simmonds, Lucic, Maroon…

Pezetta (like his haircut, although I love it) is a bit of a caveman in a modern NHL.

The Habs have placed an impetus on four lines for years now and makes it that much harder to do that when injuries hit / fw depth get tested, so we are paying a lot of attention to minor league call ups, b/c we are used to seeing four decent lines (Habs were a deep team at start of season, how quickly that changes).   Given the results are not supporting Habs strategy, at some point gotta try another tactic.

Seems to support the idea of stacking your top 9 and barely playing a fourth line (top nine all get 18-20 min/game)….

3 hours ago, hockeyrealist said:

Scary state of affairs for centre depth since there aren’t many better choices, Dvorak has been so underwhelming lately after a strong start to preseason/season.   Basically if you are an offensive winger on the Habs and not playing with Suzuki you are ####ed and going to look like a bad contract. 

I’m pretty sure that, if we had known we were gonna lose KK, we would have signed Danault to the deal LA gave him.

On Dvorak: do any of the advanced stats/hockey gurus on this site know whether the Dvorak we have seen so far is the same guy who put up serviceable numbers in Arizona? In other words, is what we see what we get? Or has Dvorak been struggling with the adjustment to a new team and new linemates? He has looked rather harrowingly mediocre to me, either defensively stalwart nor offensively impressive. In terms of how this team is structured, he is quite a key piece, so if this is all he is, we’ve got a bit of a problem.

3 minutes ago, DON said:

Over last couple years Dvorak had 45pt/82gm pace; this year on a 27pt pace, so yes he is underproducing so far.

Yeah - but then again most of the team is underproducing. Curious whether Dvorak’s advanced stats are up to his standard levels or not.