Nov. 11: Flames @ Habs - The Remembrance of Wins Past edition

43 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I’m pretty sure that, if we had known we were gonna lose KK, we would have signed Danault to the deal LA gave him.

On Dvorak: do any of the advanced stats/hockey gurus on this site know whether the Dvorak we have seen so far is the same guy who put up serviceable numbers in Arizona? In other words, is what we see what we get? Or has Dvorak been struggling with the adjustment to a new team and new linemates? He has looked rather harrowingly mediocre to me, either defensively stalwart nor offensively impressive. In terms of how this team is structured, he is quite a key piece, so if this is all he is, we’ve got a bit of a problem.

His advanced stats have not been good. 

He is deinitely having some issues adjusting to a new team, but i think he will come around.

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Yeah - but then again most of the team is underproducing. Curious whether Dvorak’s advanced stats are up to his standard levels or not. 

That highlights how well is Suzuki is doing.  A shade under a point/game is pretty impressive on a team having a terrible start.  I shudder to think how bad the team would be now if we had MaxPac instead of Nick. 

3 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I shudder to think how bad the team would be now if we had MaxPac instead of Nick. 

But we do have Nick and Patches is still a good player that I would not mind having

what’s there to shudder about ?

4 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

But we do have Nick and Patches is still a good player that I would not mind having

what’s there to shudder about ?

Who would be our #1 center if we didn't have Nick?  That would be something to shudder about. 

8 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Who would be our #1 center if we didn't have Nick?  That would be something to shudder about. 

If they didn't trade for Suzuki there likely would have been a whole different series personnel moves ... hard to know what the team would look like ... for example, MB would likely have been more willing to spend on Danault AND Phil wouldn't have had the same issues about his evolving role.

10 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

If they didn't trade for Suzuki there likely would have been a whole different series personnel moves ... hard to know what the team would look like ... for example, MB would likely have been more willing to spend on Danault AND Phil wouldn't have had the same issues about his evolving role.

You are likely right that things would have evolved differently without that trade.  MB would have been forced to over pay for Danault and our #1 center would be a guy whose career high in goals is 13.  Danault is the perfect #3 center on a championship team, he is not a #1 center on a championship team which is what I hope the Habs become at some point.

I certainly value Pacioretty, he is a consistent, dependable 30 goal guy but I would much rather have Nick. He fills a much greater need on the Habs team. 

44 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

You are likely right that things would have evolved differently without that trade.  MB would have been forced to over pay for Danault and our #1 center would be a guy whose career high in goals is 13.  Danault is the perfect #3 center on a championship team, he is not a #1 center on a championship team which is what I hope the Habs become at some point.

I certainly value Pacioretty, he is a consistent, dependable 30 goal guy but I would much rather have Nick. He fills a much greater need on the Habs team. 

OR ... forced MB to make some other move for a more appropriate 1C ... given the amount of icetime needed for Danault to shutdown the opponent's best centre/line I don't know that he could be ever considered s 3C in that role

2 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

OR ... forced MB to make some other move for a more appropriate 1C ... given the amount of icetime needed for Danault to shutdown the opponent's best centre/line I don't know that he could be ever considered s 3C in that role

As we have discussed at length, true #1 centers are hard to find, they don't come cheap in a trade as they are extremely valuable.   Looks like Suzuki may just work out as a 1C.  MB did very well with that trade, not so well with the Sergachev trade (stud defencemen are also hard to find).