November 16 - 7 pm - Habs look to take bite out of the Big Apple

GHT120

1 minute ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

I like Pezzetta, but to fight right at that moment was just dumb.  i.e. the Habs just scored, the momentum had swung in the Habs favour, so no reason to fight in an attempt to get the Habs going.  

Hard to believe, after winning that fight the momentum shifted back to the Rags and they scored.  

Terrible Time to fight, and was no real cause. He took a harmless, legal check….

bonehead play from a fourth liner when the whole line has looked bad tonight. 

3 minutes ago, hockeyrealist said:

I counted 7 landed punches for Reaves, 0 for Chucklehead 

It was almost like He reacted to the hit and then suddenly realized once the gloves came off that he had challenged Ryan Reaves ... GULP ... he looks like he almost didn't want anything to do with it once they were face-to-face ... albeit in different area codes

2 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

It was almost like He reacted to the hit and then suddenly realized once the gloves came off that he had challenged Ryan Reaves ... GULP ... he looks like he almost didn't want anything to do with it once they were face-to-face ... albeit in different area codes

Haha, yeah I can see that. He made Reaves’ night, Reaves didn’t even let him get off with a turtle, uppercut city.

4 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

You're likely bang on with that.  i.e. he probably had no idea who hit him when he dropped his gloves.  

Primeau has certainly come up with numerous saves to keep the Habs in this game.  

That is 1 of their biggest issues this year for the Habs.  Most of the times when they need a timely save to keep them in games, the puck ends up in their net.  

The Habs should consider starting to play Primeau over Montembault to see if his play in this game is a fluke or if he can keep it up.    

Interesting, Lundqvist is 1 of the talking head analysts on the Rags Intermission panel and he seems to be decent at it.  

36 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

I like Pezzetta, but to fight right at that moment was just dumb.  i.e. the Habs just scored, the momentum had swung in the Habs favour, so no reason to fight in an attempt to get the Habs going. 

Dumb penalties, that's his specialty. 

4 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

Has Price been that good in net over the years that he hides so much weaknesses on the team's over the years? One player cant make that big over a difference can they? How can this team be this bad without price? 

Have we taken price for granted over the years🤔 

The loss of Weber and Danault, and the absence of Edmundson, are significant for the team defence ... but it is also important to remember that in 3 of the last 4 seasons Price has been no more than a below average goalie, and often not even that ... there usually wasn't much to take for granted those years.

If it weren't for Primeau this would have been yet another 5-2 loss.  It sucks that he didnt get any points.  He should get more starts due to his performance tonight.  He probably made more timely saves in this game then Montembault or even Allen have in any 1 game they've played.

2 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

The loss of Weber and Danault, and the absence of Edmundson, are significant for the team defence ... but it is also important to remember that in 3 of the last 4 seasons Price has been no more than a below average goalie, and often not even that ... there usually wasn't much to take for granted those years.

Thats true, but I sorta get the impression that I'm 1 of a few that realize the Habs also lost 2 of their top leaders.  i.e. Price and Weber.  Plus, they both unexpectedly left - its not like either was known and MB had a lot of time to take actions and do something about it.  

4 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

If it weren't for Primeau this would have been yet another 5-2 loss.  It sucks that he didnt get any points.  He should get more starts due to his performance tonight.  He probably made more timely saves in this game then Montembault or even Allen have in any 1 game they've played.

Allen does have two shutouts -- tied for third in the league. And Montembeault has not been bad in the last two games, either.

This team would never have been as good as last year without Weber and Danault, but the injuries have decimated us. Price is still not ready, Edmundson still out, Drouin, Hoffman, Allen, Dvorak, Perreault, Evans, the list goes on. And that's without even counting the walking (skating) wounded. With some luck, they could have 15+ points now but that would still be terrible.

I'm a glass half-full kind of guy but at this point I'm pretty much resigned to the Habs being a lottery team at the end of the season.

22 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Allen does have two shutouts -- tied for third in the league. And Montembeault has not been bad in the last two games, either.

This team would never have been as good as last year without Weber and Danault, but the injuries have decimated us. Price is still not ready, Edmundson still out, Drouin, Hoffman, Allen, Dvorak, Perreault, Evans, the list goes on. And that's without even counting the walking (skating) wounded. With some luck, they could have 15+ points now but that would still be terrible.

I'm a glass half-full kind of guy but at this point I'm pretty much resigned to the Habs being a lottery team at the end of the season.

Allen does have 2 shutouts, but I don't remember him being pressured and making many big saves in those games.   Montembault has been decent lately too, but neither seem to come up with timely saves like Primeau did tonight.  

A few weeks ago I figured they still had a chance at making the playoffs, but they needed to start winning this month; and they haven't.   

I recall 1 season when NJ sucked it up at the start of the season, but then they went on two 10 game winning streaks and they actually made the playoffs.  I think the Flyers pulled off a similar playoff birth.  However, the Habs lack the elite offensive talent those teams had to pull it off.   ex:  Kovalchuk had a ton of points in long streaks the year the Devils managed to do it.  

At 1 point the Habs needed to play streaks of win 2 lose 1, then it became win 3 lose 1, but now its likely win 4 lose 1 - which is extremely unlikely the longer this suckfest goes.

The bizarre thing is I really don't believe that they are as bad of a team as the results they are getting.   It's 1 thing if they're a bubble team, it something else to be a bottom feeder.  It seems to be a leadership issue, but the injuries are making it a lot worse.

43 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Allen does have 2 shutouts, but I don't remember him being pressured and making many big saves in those games.   Montembault has been decent lately too, but neither seem to come up with timely saves like Primeau did tonight.  

A few weeks ago I figured they still had a chance at making the playoffs, but they needed to start winning this month; and they haven't.   

I recall 1 season when NJ sucked it up at the start of the season, but then they went on two 10 game winning streaks and they actually made the playoffs.  I think the Flyers pulled off a similar playoff birth.  However, the Habs lack the elite offensive talent those teams had to pull it off.   ex:  Kovalchuk had a ton of points in long streaks the year the Devils managed to do it.  

At 1 point the Habs needed to play streaks of win 2 lose 1, then it became win 3 lose 1, but now its likely win 4 lose 1 - which is extremely unlikely the longer this suckfest goes.

The bizarre thing is I really don't believe that they are as bad of a team as the results they are getting.   It's 1 thing if they're a bubble team, it something else to be a bottom feeder.  It seems to be a leadership issue, but the injuries are making it a lot worse.

Several key Habs are under-performing relative to what precedent would suggest: Anderson, Toffoli, Gallagher, Dvorak, and - most important of all - Petry are producing way short of what might have been expected. Conversely, nobody, except possibly Drouin, has stepped up and really surpassed expectations. (Hoffman is just being Hoffman, playing up to his standard level). So, I agree; it was reasonable to have expected better. I thought they’d be on the bubble, not as bad as this.

Leadership may be a factor, but if I had to guess, I’d point to Petry’s poor play coupled with the complete lack of secondary push from the D. Maybe Wideman has been stepping up in that role lately, but it’s not enough to compensate. This may explain some of the general suckage from the FW group. Weber was no Bobby Orr, but he at least made a reliable first pass. Without him, we needed vintage Petry, not the struggling guy we’ve been seeing.

I didn't watch the game, and came here to read some highlights. Seems like Pezzetta was more noticeable than Suzuki's line :(

On RDS's game summary, I saw that Gallagher got a penalty at the end of the game, nullifying any benefit from pulling the goalie.

Did Petry play?

11 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Dumb penalties, that's his specialty. 

Since it’s so obvious, are the coaches simply too shy to say something to him? I’m not being sarcastic here, but it’s the coaches responsibility to take him aside and tell him that if he takes stupid penalties, he’s done in the big league. 

If they are indeed encouraging his style of play, then the penalties are simply not stupid. I get that there are brain dead players out there, but this type of thing seems to be something the coaches could at least point out to him.  If they have, and he continues to take dumb penalties, he wouldn’t be getting any ice time at all. 

(with all that being said, I missed the penalty/fight)

17 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Since it’s so obvious, are the coaches simply too shy to say something to him? I’m not being sarcastic here, but it’s the coaches responsibility to take him aside and tell him that if he takes stupid penalties, he’s done in the big league. 

If they are indeed encouraging his style of play, then the penalties are simply not stupid. I get that there are brain dead players out there, but this type of thing seems to be something the coaches could at least point out to him.  If they have, and he continues to take dumb penalties, he wouldn’t be getting any ice time at all.

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if they've had that conversation already.  However, with the injuries, they don't have a lot of options short of sending him back to the minors and bringing someone else up and it's evident that there's something they like about his game so they're hoping he'll eventually figure it out. 

They want him to play aggressive, yes, but a lot of his penalties so far haven't been from throwing a hit, they've been retaliatory.  They'll live with the odd charging or boarding call from hustling but it's the ones away from the play entirely which most have been that are the bad ones.

2 hours ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

(with all that being said, I missed the penalty/fight)

He had no penalty, simply offsetting major, which if fighting still allowed, is acceptable (to many fans and owners) i assume.