November 16 - 7 pm - Habs look to take bite out of the Big Apple

GHT120

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I am starting to think that maybe, just maybe the Habs might be in tough to grab a playoff spot. 

10 minutes ago, DON said:

Darn pessimist.:)

12 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

... Price and Weber ...  both unexpectedly left - its not like either was known and MB had a lot of time to take actions and do something about it.  

I would hope that Bergevin has FAR, FAR, FAR more information about the health of his players than we do ... if he doesn't that speaks volume about him as a GM.

Typically it’s American thanksgiving as the date team decide whether they are playoff bound or not.  Think it’s pretty clear what the Habs are this year.  I sincerely hope MB makes moves accordingly to try to get a top pick.  I sincerely hope there isn’t a turn around to just miss the playoffs and pick mid round.  

Rebuild, aim for a top-3 pick and don’t squander it this time.  One can only dream.

3 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

Typically it’s American thanksgiving as the date team decide whether they are playoff bound or not.  Think it’s pretty clear what the Habs are this year.  I sincerely hope MB makes moves accordingly to try to get a top pick.  I sincerely hope there isn’t a turn around to just miss the playoffs and pick mid round.  

Rebuild, aim for a top-3 pick and don’t squander it this time.  One can only dream.

Agree 100%

20 minutes ago, huzer said:

I may be the only one that was a bit nervous with Primeau's play. While he made some big saves, there were a lot of out of position moments that the Rangers were unable to take advantage of.

He played pretty well, some timely saves, but as you say, he was lucky a few times, too. One game is a very small sample, too.

Not that it will do anything to deter him from ever doing it again ... 0.05% (half of one-tenth of one percent) of his actual salary this season ... equivalent to $50 for someone making $100,000.

1 hour ago, TurdBurglar said:

... Rebuild, aim for a top-3 pick and don’t squander it this time.  One can only dream.

A true rebuild could even get them a chance at next years' projected #1 ... Connor Bedard ... apparently even more highly rated than Shane Wright.

NHL "gave" Edmonton 3 straight first-overalls, 4 in 6 drafts ... why not two straight for the Habs???

BTW - Anyone thinking the second paragraph is serious please take a breath ... but various iterations of the NHL Lottery did give the Oilers 4 in 6 ... so not impossible.

The fines would have much more of an impact if they said that, for example, Gallagher had been fined one game's salary for the infraction. He still gets to play, and it doesn't hurt the team, but paying $60K might make a player think twice in the future.

1 hour ago, huzer said:

I may be the only one that was a bit nervous with Primeau's play. While he made some big saves, there were a lot of out of position moments that the Rangers were unable to take advantage of.

That is Primeau in a nutshell though.  He's not the most technically sound goaltender and he tends to be overaggressive which leads to some spotty positioning.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, tomh009 said:

The fines would have much more of an impact if they said that, for example, Gallagher had been fined one game's salary for the infraction. He still gets to play, and it doesn't hurt the team, but paying $60K might make a player think twice in the future.

It would but the NHLPA pushed back hard on the NHL's attempt to raise the fines in the last CBA.  I can't see them agreeing to something like that.

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

Not that it will do anything to deter him from ever doing it again ... 0.05% (half of one-tenth of one percent) of his actual salary this season ... equivalent to $50 for someone making $100,000.

I wish I could get offered to pay $50 to deck people I work with without any other repercussion.

3 hours ago, dlbalr said:

It would but the NHLPA pushed back hard on the NHL's attempt to raise the fines in the last CBA.  I can't see them agreeing to something like that.

Which, I am certain, the NHL knew the NHLPA would ... so I have serious doubts it was a genuine attempt to improve the system ... if the fines were made more severe the expectations would likely be that suspensions would as well ... NEITHER the NHL nor the NHLPA are the least bit serious about player safety IMO.

5 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

NEITHER the NHL nor the NHLPA are the least bit serious about player safety IMO.

You know this is not news.

Is all about the $$.

4 hours ago, GHT120 said:

I would hope that Bergevin has FAR, FAR, FAR more information about the health of his players than we do ... if he doesn't that speaks volume about him as a GM.

MB said clearly that he did not know Weber was in so much pain, I think his words were “to this level”

55 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

MB said clearly that he did not know Weber was in so much pain, I think his words were “to this level”

I stand by my opinion that if he is that out of touch with the players health that is a HUGE negative ... whether or not the player talks him or it is one of the coaches or trainers he should be "au courant

Also, IMO, "to this level" is a nice bit of "wiggle word weaselling" to avoid any blame for letting Weber play when he probably shouldn't have been allowed on the ice.

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

I stand by my opinion that if he is that out of touch with the players health that is a HUGE negative ... whether or not the player talks him or it is one of the coaches or trainers he should be "au courant

Also, IMO, "to this level" is a nice bit of "wiggle word weaselling" to avoid any blame for letting Weber play when he probably shouldn't have been allowed on the ice.

:popcorn: and you know this because ..... ? :popcorn:

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Weber is old school, the kind of guy who will play through pain and perhaps didn't let coaches/management how much pain he was in. Good luck keeping him off the ice in the playoffs.  We can only speculate. 

7 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Thats a good point and would be true for most players and situations, but I tend to think that both Price and Weber are exceptions to the norm.  ex:  Price had a mental health and addiction issue, so that would likely fly under the radar. 

3 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Weber is old school, the kind of guy who will play through pain and perhaps didn't let coaches/management how much pain he was in. Good luck keeping him off the ice in the playoffs.  We can only speculate. 

Exactly!!  Weber is a really big strong guy who has a high tolerance for pain, and I doubt that he is a big whiner or complainer.  i.e.  if he's actually complaining about something, then its a very serious issue.  It sounded like he wasn't fully upfront with MB. 

In the Weber appreciation thread most people seem to believe that his play the last few years is due to him aging, but I think its more related to his injury - which has been going on for years.  i.e. he takes a year off and if he can come back, there is a chance that his play will be better than what we have seen in his last 2-3 seasons. 

ex:  if Weber was in his mid 20's and had that same injury it would have impacted his play in the identical manner.  Players do slow as they age, but his poor play the last few years isn't necessarily age related at all.

Price seems to be similar in that same regard - his last few years have been below his norm, and he might play better when he comes back. 

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

:popcorn: and you know this because ..... ? :popcorn:

OPINION: A view or judgement formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

KNOW: Be aware of through observation, inquiry, or information; Have knowledge or information concerning; Be absolutely certain or sure about something.

I never said I KNEW, I said I had an opinion