Caufield is back

titanfan

Not a fan of this at all.  Six games in the minors - several of which were passable but mediocre - is not enough for him to magically have fixed everything they wanted him to work on.  This is a desperation move, plain and simple.  

And once again, Laurent Dauphin - who has been Laval's best player by a significant margin this season - gets overlooked.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, dlbalr said:

Not a fan of this at all.  Six games in the minors - several of which were passable but mediocre - is not enough for him to magically have fixed everything they wanted him to work on.  This is a desperation move, plain and simple.  

And once again, Laurent Dauphin - who has been Laval's best player by a significant margin this season - gets overlooked.

Agree 100%.

4 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

I also agree, not sure how much he was able to accomplish in 6 games. 

40 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

39 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Agree 100%.

34 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I also agree, not sure how much he was able to accomplish in 6 games. 

Me three

Another example of a team that has no real plan ... send him down to find his game ... six games with a couple of goals but a -6 ... doesn't convince me that anything was found ... maybe sighted in the distance.

Makes complete sense.

Game #19 with 14 losses under their belt already, so this is a must win, do or die, make or break turnaround game and only makes sense to pull out all the stops & grasp those straws.:wall:

If sitting with  15 losses in 19 games or 14 losses in 19 games tomorrow; is huge difference to season outlook and future of franchise. :PC-smash:

1 hour ago, DON said:

Makes complete sense.

Game #19 with 14 losses under their belt already, so this is a must win, do or die, make or break turnaround game and only makes sense to pull out all the stops & grasp those straws.:wall:

If sitting with  15 losses in 19 games or 14 losses in 19 games tomorrow; is huge difference to season outlook and future of franchise. :PC-smash:

You would think that Habs management must think this is one of those years where you say "it's not our year but we have a great opportunity to do some planning for the future".  They can't come out and say they have given up but realistically who can they catch to make the playoffs in their conference?  There will be some good teams that don't make it. 

But how does demoting CC, watch him do decently but not fabulously (according to reports), and then bringing him back up after 6 games, represent "planning for the future?" Wouldn't planning for the future involve doing what is best for his development - ? And wouldn't that be better served by letting him really round into dominating form in the AHL?

I dunno, maybe the point of sending him down was just to teach him that he can't take things for granted? (But wouldn't a quick call-up convey the opposite message, i.e., we really can't do without you for long, kid?) Or did he really fix what needed fixing in 6 games - ? 

I find this confusing.

36 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I find this confusing.

Just seems so short-sighted a move.

Oh well, what do we know, watch Caufield score hat trick tonight and he win Calder trophy.:spamafote:

I definitely see the points above and reason to question the timing.

Hopefully he is put in a spot to succeed, which I believe is with a talented centre (Suzuki) and PP time (no Hoffman creates big hole). Hope he comes out shooting.

I question if sending him down in the 1st place was the right move.  The team was sucking, not just him.  The entire team was deserving of being sent down, but CC was the only 1 they could do that to, but did that make it right? 

Plus, right after he was sent down Suzuki started to go on a tare.  With Suzuki playing well, might CC have scored had he not been sent down?   It's probable that he would have.  

50 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

... Plus, right after he was sent down Suzuki started to go on a tare.  With Suzuki playing well, might CC have scored had he not been sent down?   It's probable that he would have.  

There is also always the possibility that being free of the expectation to make CC a dangerous scorer contributed to Suzuki "upping his game" ... we can never know the truth behind these types of variables.

7 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

I question if sending him down in the 1st place was the right move.  The team was sucking, not just him.  The entire team was deserving of being sent down, but CC was the only 1 they could do that to, but did that make it right? 

Plus, right after he was sent down Suzuki started to go on a tare.  With Suzuki playing well, might CC have scored had he not been sent down?   It's probable that he would have.  

Or, Suzuki may not have gone on a tare, although he didn’t get a lot of time with CC.

CC is obviously wiLl be anNHL player - the question is will he become an elite winger. He’s not one YET.

The issue I have with keeping him up, is if DD is only going to play CC 12-14 min with grunts like he was at the start of the year, I’d rather have him dominating and getting tons of ice time in the AHL. 

4 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Or, Suzuki may not have gone on a tare, although he didn’t get a lot of time with CC.

CC is obviously wiLl be anNHL player - the question is will he become an elite winger. He’s not one YET.

The issue I have with keeping him up, is if DD is only going to play CC 12-14 min with grunts like he was at the start of the year, I’d rather have him dominating and getting tons of ice time in the AHL. 

He wasn’t dominating AHL is the problem.  

Putting Cole's feet to the fire?

Translation:

We'll watch him for a few games and see if he's able to become the player he was in the playoffs.
Otherwise, we will send him back to Laval.

On 11/22/2021 at 4:56 PM, GHT120 said:

We'll watch him for a few games and see if he's able to become the player he was in the playoffs.
Otherwise, we will send him back to Laval.

So in other words, history repeating itself.  Call a player up too early, watch him struggle, send him back down.

34 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

So in other words, history repeating itself.  Call a player up too early, watch him struggle, send him back down.

Sad ... but quite possibly true ... 

11 hours ago, dlbalr said:

He should have never been called up, Dauphin deserved it more and it would have been better to give Ylonen that opportunity.

I have criticized how management seems to treat Caufiled as the hockey equivalent of "teacher's pet" (can't think of other way to describe)

Caufield will be a prolific scorer in the NHL once he reaches his potential; he is not that player yet.

• Upvote 1