Game #19 Habs vs Pens Nov 18 7:00

DON

It's ironic, because they do have good D at getting lose pucks, and stripping the other team of the puck.  However, thats only out front of their own net.  i.e. they're boxing really well, but other than that the problem is that its too small of a box.  Any opposing player not near that box is basically being left wide open.  

I am glad they started Primeau, just to see if his last game was a fluke.  Unfortunately it does seem to be that way.  I dont blame for all the goals tonight but he isnt playing as well as his last game.  He does over play the puck sometimes, but Price did that too at 1 point.  ex:  sliding from 1 post to the other and going right past it.  

24 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

I forgot Kulak! But I don't think we have so much D depth in out prospect pipeline, at least for the next year or maybe two. Beyond Norlinder and maybe Guhle, the others are surely some years out yet.

Harris if he signs.  He was basically NHL-ready last season and I think would have played at times in the playoffs had he been under contract. 

And Kulak isn't in the long-term plans either.  I'd be stunned if he's back next season.

So, if we move out all the puck-movers (Kulak, Niku, Wideman) we're back to the Clydesdale model with some combination of Petry (33), Savard (31), Chiarot (30) and Edmundson (28). And maybe Romanov, Norlinder and Guhle/Harris.

That may well be their plan. But if we're intending to contend 3-5 years from now, I would personally go for a relative youth movement on D, and Niku and Kulak can at least move the puck. Ah well, will have to wait for the trade deadline to see who is getting shipped out.

Well, that wasnt pretty.

At least Petry is consistent so far, maybe this year will start with a full 20 game slump before waking up.

I dont know goalies, but that kid was sliding back and forth, out of net one way, than out of net the other side...needs to keeps it bit more simple for sure, but i dont know shite about goalies. 

Norlinder (17:39) didnt get run-over, put through the endboards, or have any huge braincramps, which was great start to see.

Caufield had puck time and seemed to be hustling, but just 1 shot.

2 hours ago, BCHabnut said:

This is the worst canadiens team I've ever watched. And I'm pushing 50. They are terrible. I bet I've watched 5 full periods all season. I shut it off or barely watch while doing other things.

I feel the same way. I'm 45, and I don't remember a team this bad! Even the 83-84 team (which is basically the first year of the Habs I can actually remember - I was 7-8 yrs old) and the 00-01 team which finished with 70pts, I don't remember them being this bad.

I think that the Habs have to make some major changes. I hate to say it, but I think MB needs to sit down with Carey and see if he's be willing to lift his no trade clause. I would also see what I could get for Jeff Petry.

At this point, it is clear to me that this team has some serious problems, and they won't make the playoffs. Might as well do everything you can to look at the future!

2 hours ago, hockeyrealist said:

Romy / Kulak have been decent as well.  

Norlinder skated well, smooth stride and comfortable with puck.

I like the Romy/Kulak pairing. I find that they were getting alot of crap this year. They've been playing well together for a while now!

1 hour ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Just a random observation that this is how life without Price feels to those who have always wanted to trade him. Because the 1 or 2 elite players or prospects we would have (perhaps) received in return aint stopping the puck.

I don't think Carey Price would've made much of a difference this year...maybe one or two losses less. Not enough to make a difference!

4 wins-15 losses

Can they go lower than Arizona & Seattle by mid-April, are they bad enough?

Or will the injured players come back, really make a difference and end up picking 10-15.:crazy:

32 minutes ago, Habsfan said:

I don't think Carey Price would've made much of a difference this year...maybe one or two losses less. Not enough to make a difference!

It’s one thing to lose. It’s another to let in 5 goals against on a consistent basis. 

I think my prediction for the year was 78 points. That was too generous.

they need to rebuild the D as priority #1.  Move Chiarot at the deadline, and if you can find a sucker for Petry and Savard move them for prospects and picks.

9 hours ago, Habsfan said:

I like the Romy/Kulak pairing. I find that they were getting alot of crap this year. They've been playing well together for a while now!

This is first game they’ve played together.

Romy has been with Wideman and looking decent.

Kulak has been with Savard and very hit or miss, lots of misses.   
They have not been playing on together prior to Pens game in order to give Norlinder a vet partner in Savard.

9 hours ago, tomh009 said:

So, if we move out all the puck-movers (Kulak, Niku, Wideman) we're back to the Clydesdale model with some combination of Petry (33), Savard (31), Chiarot (30) and Edmundson (28). And maybe Romanov, Norlinder and Guhle/Harris.

That may well be their plan. But if we're intending to contend 3-5 years from now, I would personally go for a relative youth movement on D, and Niku and Kulak can at least move the puck. Ah well, will have to wait for the trade deadline to see who is getting shipped out.

These comments all come from an earlier post saying it was time to move 26, 8, 58 (Savard) and 44.   Kulak, Niku and Wideman are not worth building around so future d would only retain Romy, Norlinder from current team.

Add Guhle, Harris and bring in two decent players to round out the 6.

10 hours ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Just a random observation that this is how life without Price feels to those who have always wanted to trade him. Because the 1 or 2 elite players or prospects we would have (perhaps) received in return aint stopping the puck.

I think that this is the year of "getting healthy", we just need Petry to go on the IR once Edmundson is back nest week. So that he can get back to form and increase his trade value.

I am glad Drouin is playing with energy, that Drouin-Dvorak-Anderson would be an excellent 3rd line on any team.

after watching the game, my feeling is that the veterans had given up before the game started because of the 5 prospects on the lineup.

Seems like a move by MB before the 20th game to evaluate his options; like he is preparing to either start shopping his veterans for picks or to get fringe NHLers for a tank job after sending all the prospects to develop.

On RDS, Guy Boucher was showing how the defeat was not due to coaching but due to the veterans not eing invested or playing with energy. Vincent Danphouse mentioned how the veterans are not showing leadership and how the coach has all the pressure on sholders that would normally be carried by Weber/captain. The panelists mentrioned how the rookies were OK but not yet good enough for the NHL, that they should be sent down.

I agree with their view. Ducharme didn't throw his players under the bus by naming names, but he was right in saying the team was just bad, bad, bad, mauvais, bad.

I would send the prospects to play lots of minutes away from Montreal. I would demote all waiver except prospects except Suzuki: let them win a championship with Laval.

I would trade Toffoli and Petry for high draft picks, for extra first rounders if packaged. All this so that the next GM can have a position of strength come next season, be it Bergevin or any one else.

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

after watching the game, my feeling is that the veterans had given up before the game started because of the 5 prospects on the lineup.

Really?  If that were the case then I think they should get rid of all the veterans. They were just bad. 

6 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Really?  If that were the case then I think they should get rid of all the veterans. They were just bad. 

Just the ones that would improve the team.

and overpriced on-the-decline Gallagher or cement-hands Lehkonen or eternal-#7 Kulak will not fetch much 

Definitely a season to unload contracts on aging veterans. Petry, Gally, Chiarot, whoever.

That we do not have a bumper crop of young talent in the system to replace them means this will likely result in years of suckage, but at least we can use it to restock the talent pool.

4 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I think that this is the year of "getting healthy", we just need Petry to go on the IR once Edmundson is back nest week. So that he can get back to form and increase his trade value.

I am glad Drouin is playing with energy, that Drouin-Dvorak-Anderson would be an excellent 3rd line on any team.

Seems like a move by MB before the 20th game to evaluate his options; like he is preparing to either start shopping his veterans for picks or to get fringe NHLers for a tank job after sending all the prospects to develop.

On RDS, Guy Boucher was showing how the defeat was not due to coaching but due to the veterans not eing invested or playing with energy. Vincent Danphouse mentioned how the veterans are not showing leadership and how the coach has all the pressure on sholders that would normally be carried by Weber/captain. The panelists mentrioned how the rookies were OK but not yet good enough for the NHL, that they should be sent down.

I agree with their view. Ducharme didn't throw his players under the bus by naming names, but he was right in saying the team was just bad, bad, bad, mauvais, bad.

I would send the prospects to play lots of minutes away from Montreal. I would demote all waiver except prospects except Suzuki: let them win a championship with Laval.

I would trade Toffoli and Petry for high draft picks, for extra first rounders if packaged. All this so that the next GM can have a position of strength come next season, be it Bergevin or any one else.

sure Drouin amd Anderson would be a good on a third line. But how many teams pay $11m for 2/3’s of a third line??? Our issue is we don’t have a complete first line (2/3’a of one with Suzuki and Taffoli), and basically don’t have a legit 2nd line.

we also don’t have a top pairing D, or even a legit middle pairing D.

The way he is playing Petry is unmovable without major salary retention - which should seriously be considered, because we are going to suck for the next 2 to 3 years.

14 hours ago, Habsfan said:

I feel the same way. I'm 45, and I don't remember a team this bad! ...

In some ways I have it worse ... I'm 62 and my peak Habs interest (i.e., ages 10-21) yielded 8 Cups in 12 seasons ... including the greatest team of all-time (76-77) ... so my standards for excellence are very high ... with more teams, diluted drafts* and the salary cap I don't expect any team to be that good in the modern NHL landscape, but even adjusted for reality my minimum standard of excellence is a team that has a legit** chance to compete for Cup before each season ... even with last seasons playoff run in mind it has been a long time since I felt that the Habs started  season with that "legit chance" ... 

* : second round picks used to start at 14th-22nd in "my era" ... now it is the 33rd pick of the draft

** : by legit I mean a team that plans around the internal expectation to (a) be no worse than 3rd in its division and (b) be in the conference final