Game #19 Habs vs Pens Nov 18 7:00

DON

21 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

You're absolutely right.  But I don't think they can move Byron for any sort of viable return; I'd be asking for a sweetener if I was another team (retention or a pick).  I don't see that happening with Lehkonen. 

Unless they really start cutting long-term salaries, they can't afford both of them next season.  Is it worth losing cap space or another asset to get rid of Byron to keep Lehkonen on an above-market contract (which could be for one year or longer) or is it better to get an asset for Lehkonen and keep Byron on his above-market contract for next year (and let his contract run out to get the cap space a year from now)?  I don't think Lehkonen is part of a longer-term post-rebuild core so I'd go with the second scenario being more beneficial.

I agree that we are likely stuck with Byron's contract for one more year, same with Drouin as no one wants to take on the remaining parts of those contracts.  Lehkonen and Chiarot will be the easiest to move as contending teams will see value in what they bring without having to worry about fitting them into the cap next year.  Of course Drouin will likely have a good year next year and the Habs won't know what to do with him. 

I think we agree on a lot of key points. But the big question is what this rebuild (if any) will look like, and who will be part of the new core. Lehkonen is still young and while not cheap you won't get the same level of player for the league minimum, either. But whom will they keep and whom will they trade?

The way I see it, if the rebuild is limited to trading away Lehkonen and Chiarot, it's not much of a rebuild, it's just fiddling with the margins. On the other hand, if they do decide to (and succeed to) trade away older, more expensive players like Petry and Gallagher, for a target season of 2024-25 or something similar, the short-term cap will not really be an issue.

Time will tell.

2 hours ago, tomh009 said:

I think we agree on a lot of key points. But the big question is what this rebuild (if any) will look like, and who will be part of the new core. Lehkonen is still young and while not cheap you won't get the same level of player for the league minimum, either. But whom will they keep and whom will they trade?

The way I see it, if the rebuild is limited to trading away Lehkonen and Chiarot, it's not much of a rebuild, it's just fiddling with the margins. On the other hand, if they do decide to (and succeed to) trade away older, more expensive players like Petry and Gallagher, for a target season of 2024-25 or something similar, the short-term cap will not really be an issue.

Time will tell.

Yeah, I would like to see the big tickets moved out. Contracts notwithstanding, they are big names who will probably command the highest level of return - especially Petry. 

3 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Time will tell.

No question there is general agreement on some type of rebuild. Trading Petry and/or Gallagher depends on finding a willing dance partner. What contending teams want/need at the trade deadline will go a long way in determining this. There are multiple contenders this year for the cup with no real clear favourite so adding the right piece could be the difference for many teams. Hopefully the Habs can capitalize on this. 

59 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

No question there is general agreement on some type of rebuild. Trading Petry and/or Gallagher depends on finding a willing dance partner. What contending teams want/need at the trade deadline will go a long way in determining this. There are multiple contenders this year for the cup with no real clear favourite so adding the right piece could be the difference for many teams. Hopefully the Habs can capitalize on this. 

A rebuild would start this season (up to and through the deadline) but some of the bigger/longer contracts on the "move list" would be more likely traded around the draft or through the summer (if they can be)

10 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

A rebuild would start this season (up to and through the deadline) but some of the bigger/longer contracts on the "move list" would be more likely traded around the draft or through the summer (if they can be)

A Petry, Chiarot or Gallagher could be attractive for a team looking to make a Cup run. And in many cases they would be able to deal with this year's cap impact, leaving the bigger problems until the summer.

Maybe. 🙂

11 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Agreed, longer term contracts like Gallagher and Petry are harder to move and take some planning by the teams taking them on so they are less likely to be a trade deadline deal.  

Savard has proven useful in playoffs. Too bad he has such a bad contract or he could have been an asset. Dvorak could also be of interest to a playoff team. The biggest playoff asset we have when healthy is Price, and his return at deadline could be franchise changing. IMO. 

32 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Dvorak ... sure, in a major rebuild he could be gone, too. But we do still need to have four centres on the roster so we might need to keep him.

Agree. Dvorak is young and on an affordable ticket. Not sure why we’d trade him away.

2 hours ago, johnnyhasbeen said:

Savard has proven useful in playoffs. Too bad he has such a bad contract or he could have been an asset. Dvorak could also be of interest to a playoff team. The biggest playoff asset we have when healthy is Price, and his return at deadline could be franchise changing. IMO. 

Disagree. Nobody is going to want Price.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Agree. Dvorak is young and on an affordable ticket. Not sure why we’d trade him away.

Disagree. Nobody is going to want Price.

Agree, Price is basically untradeable. Even if he came back there would be no team willing to take on that contract. Seattle could have had him for nothing and they had the cap room. 

3 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Agree. Dvorak is young and on an affordable ticket. Not sure why we’d trade him away ...

Only reason would be for a great return ... of course ***if*** the PAIN were to produce Shane, then Shane (if ready), Nick, Ryan and Jake could fill the four spots ... and possibly lead them to the Honour of selecting Connor in 2023 (I am a dreamer)

50 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Only reason would be for a great return ... of course ***if*** the PAIN were to produce Shane, then Shane (if ready), Nick, Ryan and Jake could fill the four spots ... and possibly lead them to the Honour of selecting Connor in 2023 (I am a dreamer)

It's nice to dream. I have those dreams too.  LOL