Nov. 20, Predators vs Habs, 7 PM

dlbalr

It would be nice to see Montembault evolving into a legit NHLer, if not a starter.

I like Wideman and do not understand why he was scratched from the lineup for that appalling Penguins game. Hopefully he is not falling prey to the Kulak syndrome, where the coaches have him pegged as a #6-7 no matter how well he plays.

2 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

It would be nice to see Montembault evolving into a legit NHLer, if not a starter.

I like Wideman and do not understand why he was scratched from the lineup for that appalling Penguins game. Hopefully he is not falling prey to the Kulak syndrome, where the coaches have him pegged as a #6-7 no matter how well he plays.

both players are placeholders for more talented prospects or young NHLers when the Habs make trades.

I would keep them both and keep them in the lineup to make sure the few prospects we have have the necessary time to develop. I feel for Kulak, but with the emergence of Romanov and the projection that Norlinder has shown, it is clear that Kulak's days as a Hab are numbered

Just now, alfredoh2009 said:

both players are placeholders for more talented prospects or young NHLers when the Habs make trades.

I would keep them both and keep them in the lineup to make sure the few prospects we have have the necessary time to develop. I feel for Kulak, but with the emergence of Romanov and the projection that Norlinder has shown, it is clear that Kulak's days as a Hab are numbered

Kulak is obviously not part of whatever plan the Habs have, except as a #6-7.

On a D with a desperate need for guys who can drive offence, Wideman has 8 point in 15 games. Is he part of the long-term solution? Surely not. But in the short term, he is looking like a guy who should be in the roster every night, without question. He is more creative on the PP than anyone we’ve had since we traded Subban (not that he is anywhere near that level), and Romanov’s improvement coincided with being paired with him. He looks to me like a classic case of a guy who does very well when given opportunity on a bad team. So if someone can explain to me why he was scratched against PITS, that’d be good.

1 minute ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Kulak is obviously not part of whatever plan the Habs have, except as a #6-7.

On a D with a desperate need for guys who can drive offence, Wideman has 8 point in 15 games. Is he part of the long-term solution? Surely not. But in the short term, he is looking like a guy who should be in the roster every night, without question. He is more creative on the PP than anyone we’ve had since we traded Subban (not that he is anywhere near that level), and Romanov’s improvement coincided with being paired with him. He looks to me like a classic case of a guy who does very well when given opportunity on a bad team. So if someone can explain to me why he was scratched against PITS, that’d be good.

I am almost certain (my humble opinion) that the last two games were more about evaluating assets before trading. Decisions have to be made on Norlinder, Kulak and Niku within the week because Edmundson is about to re-join the lineup

scratching Wideman was more a vote of confidence that he would not be traded, again IMHO

Habs are not anywhere close to "win now". Trade(s) is(are) coming

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

... Decisions have to be made on Norlinder ...

When Norlinder gets the least TOI in what was until the last half of the third period (perhaps more specifically the last 4-8 minutes, depending on perception) a one-sided score, I think the decision has been made

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Indeed. And Niku has two points in just five games. I would rather play these guys than Savard, and generate some offence. Our defence sucks, anyway, and if you balance the pairs right, the defensive risks are acceptable (IMHO).

24 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

When Norlinder gets the least TOI in what was until the last half of the third period (perhaps more specifically the last 4-8 minutes, depending on perception) a one-sided score, I think the decision has been made

Yep.  At this point, he's the likely candidate to be sent back when Edmundson returns; at this point, they're just doing a bit of evaluating to help justify taking him away from his team in Sweden for three months.