Nov. 24, Habs vs Capitals, 7 PM

dlbalr

7 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Waive him ... If he were to clear he could go to Laval, take on an informal player-coach role and jump start a post-NHL career ... and if he were to be claimed ... oh well

I'd be fine with that.  I don't think they'll want to embarrass him and someone in the front office will be pointing out the optics of waiving a local player and how that won't help things.  (It doesn't matter at all to me but it does to some and we all know what the ensuing headlines would be...)

24 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

The third line picks up another goal, but there was no joy in that one. Lehkonen has started the season strongly.

Maybe Arizona and Ottawa can win tonight?

Go Yotes and Sens!   Habs have a big 4 point game against Buffalo Friday. 

2 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Petry in full tank mode

« Kkurse » continues 

Hard to watch Petry play.

Good Pacquette is back, for team tank anyways.

Good god, 60 more of these.:wall:

Bring up McNIvan and let him get peppered with pucks.

34 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

The third line picks up another goal, but there was no joy in that one. Lehkonen has started the season strongly.

Maybe Arizona and Ottawa can win tonight?

While he hasn’t been a problem, Lehks strong start to season? 2 goals in 20 some games, on pace for 8….

Strongly???

PK has been soft which is usually his domain, again not that it is on him but far from strong.

1 minute ago, hockeyrealist said:

While he hasn’t been a problem, Lehks strong start to season? 2 goals in 20 some games, on pace for 8….

Strongly???

PK has been soft which is usually his domain, again not that it is on him but far from strong.

9 points in 21 games, on pace for 36. His career high is 31.

Let me ask you a question: who plays D on our PK?

9 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

9 points in 21 games, on pace for 36. His career high is 31.

Let me ask you a question: who plays D on our PK?

Less than 36 point pace since you’re comparing it to 31 as though 5 point projection justifies anything. It is really a 34 point pace, and it is close to his average. So, I’d say he is performing at his usual clip.

Easy player to like, hard to love.  

and regarding you question about D on PK, all five guys do, especially the four skaters.  Did you see Washington forwards making life miserable for 200 feet of ice? Have see. Lehks do it, but not this year.

55 minutes ago, hockeyrealist said:

Less than 36 point pace since you’re comparing it to 31 as though 5 point projection justifies anything. It is really a 34 point pace, and it is close to his average. So, I’d say he is performing at his usual clip.

Easy player to like, hard to love.  

That's a good way to describe Lehkonen, very easy to like for his work ethic and defensive awareness but in order to love him he would have to convert more of the multiple scoring chances he gets. 

Why the hate on Lehkonen?

he is on pace to match his best season

he has earned a spot on the third line ahead of Armia

he always gives 100%

There are so many other deserving of criticism more than #62: 26, 13, 26, 40, 58, 26...

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Why the hate on Lehkonen?

he is on pace to match his best season

he has earned a spot on the third line ahead of Armia

he always gives 100%

There are so many other deserving of criticism more than #62: 26, 13, 26, 40, 58, 26...

I don't see any hate on for Lehkonen. I think the vast majority here like what he brings to the Habs except for the lack of finish. 

game box scores are a funny thing, they do not always tell the full story:

* Petry shows a decent stat line

* Savard also has decent numbers

* Does not show why Suzuki played less than his line mates (benched? hurt?)

* Evans -1 despite participating in his line's goals

* Niku and Wideman with bad numbers (where they really that bad?)

image.png

13 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Waive him ... If he were to clear he could go to Laval, take on an informal player-coach role and jump start a post-NHL career ... and if he were to be claimed ... oh well

But, if need to ensure Habs finish in bottom 10 (to retain 1st round best pick), he is a perfect fit.

1 hour ago, DON said:

But, if need to ensure Habs finish in bottom 10 (to retain 1st round best pick), he is a perfect fit.

agreed, this is my thinking too.

Paquette will be the 13th forward when Hoffman gets back anyways.

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I don't see any hate on for Lehkonen. I think the vast majority here like what he brings to the Habs except for the lack of finish. 

Agreed ... except for his filling third line spot and having a AAV of $2.3 which is too much for a 4th line quality player on a team that was SUPPOSED TO BE a playoff team.

12 hours ago, hockeyrealist said:

and regarding you question about D on PK, all five guys do, especially the four skaters.  Did you see Washington forwards making life miserable for 200 feet of ice? Have see. Lehks do it, but not this year.

On PK:

Chiarot 58:33

Petry 55:22

Savard 47:40

Romanov 41:07

And top forwards (no Danault or Byron!):

Lehkonen 46:16

Armia 35:13

Dvorak 31:15

Evans 28:31

Suzuki 27:15

(others under 20 minutes)

Most of the above D-men have struggled this season. Dvorak started strong but faded quickly.

This is not much like last year's PK unit:

Weber 138:37

Edmundson 127:40

Chiarot 113:04

Petry 106:51

Danault 121:36

Lehkonen 96:09

Evans 86:40

Byron 74:18

Armia 62:49

So, blaming Lehkonen for the PK struggles is a bit rich. And that third line (with Gallagher making 2.5x the salary of Lehkonen) is the one putting in the effort recently.

“They faced the (Evgeny) Kuznetsov line pretty much all night, they had a big challenge and they managed to create offence,” Ducharme said. “But as far as energy, it was clearly the line that had the most jump, and we need more guys who have that.”

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

* Petry shows a decent stat line

* Does not show why Suzuki played less than his line mates (benched? hurt?)

Based on the shift chart, it doesn't look like Suzuki was either hurt or benched, his shifts look pretty consistent all game.

image.png

2 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Call me crazy but I think Savard has been one of Montreal's better blueliners the last couple of weeks.  The glaring mistakes haven't been as frequent and he seems to have settled in a bit.  So I'm not surprised he had decent numbers - particularly last night - when he probably was their best blueliner considering how bad the top pairing was and Wideman/Niku's defensive difficulties.

Wideman/Niku as a pairing again shows bad coaching. 

This is the same problem as putting Chiarot-Savard as a pair earlier in the season (but the opposite)

They can't be paired together.  Add in the fact that Washington has a lot of big forwards and play an aggressive forecheck and its a recipe for failure before they even get on the ice.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Wideman/Niku as a pairing again shows bad coaching. 

This is the same problem as putting Chiarot-Savard as a pair earlier in the season (but the opposite)

They can't be paired together.  Add in the fact that Washington has a lot of big forwards and play an aggressive forecheck and its a recipe for failure before they even get on the ice.

I don't get it. Romanov/Wideman worked very well from what I could see. Why break that pairing up in the first place? 

The entire approach to D pairings has been perplexing from day one of the season IMHO. Puck movers paired with puck movers, plodders with plodders, good duos broken up arbitrarily, etc.. Just a mess.

The start of this game was so ugly and hard to watch, i almost deleted the recording after 5 minutes into game.

Why the heck is Petry so f'ed up, he is horrible with puck (scary everytime he touches it), cant defend a lick and has zero offense. Cant simply be, that he is missing Edmundson or a better partner...is it?

Wideman is so soft in own end. He sucks defending and seems scared to take a hit along the boards (like MAB was). Again, for the tank crowd that is all good; but, what a waste of icetime and roster spot.