Poehling -- Armia

Chiarot -- Petry
Norlinder -- Savard
Romanov -- Wideman
Niku

Montembeault
Allen

Scratched: Paquette, Pezzetta

Injured: Kulak (lower body), Hoffman (upper body), Perreault (eye), Edmundson (undisclosed)

Buffalo Sabres
Skinner -- Thompson -- Olofsson
Ruotsalainen -- Cozens -- Okposo
Bjork -- Girgensons -- Asplund
Hayden -- Eakin -- Hinostroza

Dahlin -- Pysyk
Bryson -- Jokiharju
Hagg -- Miller

Tokarski
Dell

Scratched: Butcher, Wolanin

Injured: Caggiula (upper body), Anderson (upper body), Tuch (shoulder), Mittelstadt (upper body)

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

1975 Yvan Cornoyer and Steve Shutt vs Sabres.jpg

Starting lineups to follow ...

For the younger amongst us (if there are any) those pure white boards must look VERY strange

21 minutes ago, DON said:

AHHHHHHHHHH, the good ol days.

For both clubs!

11 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

For the younger amongst us (if there are any) those pure white boards must look VERY strange

They do look weird even to old bastards like me who have now had 30 years of exposure to the advertising. Just as the current mostly ad-free uniforms will probably look weird to our children when they’re 50 and all the players look like race-car drivers.

48 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

The Sabres are slumping, the Habs rebound and post a 4-2 win!!

you had to throw that jab in there.

Well:

<timid tone on>

*~ go Habs go ~*

</timid tone off>

All I know is that I will never hope for a loss.

:gohabsgo:

18 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

All I know is that I will never hope for a loss.

:gohabsgo:

Well, the playoffs are not a realistic outcome, so wins do nothing but hurt draft position.  I'm completely comfortable hoping for regulation losses at this point...this team needs to draft top end talent to get competitive again.

I am glad they are playing Norlinder to evaluate him before they need to send him to Sweden and before they make a decision on D once Edmundson is back on the roster.

I am also glad to see Poehling in the lineup, he is holding his own.

I think you can hope for a win in any given game while still pulling for The Tank. The reason this team is in this pickle is that, for whatever reason, it is simply not good enough to win games consistently. No team is going to go 0-82. Therefore, I'll take a page from the NHL coaching handbook and say: trust the process. Hope for wins, confident in the knowledge they will be sufficiently infrequent as to ensure a high draft pick.

21 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

11 and 7 again with Pezzetta sitting again.  This is quite likely due to him needing waivers if he plays again which begs the question, why don't they just send him down and bring someone else up?

And Montembeault in goal, which I was hoping to see. He should be good enough against the Sabres (assuming the rest of the team is) and it saves Allen for tomorrow's game vs the Penguins.

36 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

11 and 7 again with Pezzetta sitting again.  This is quite likely due to him needing waivers if he plays again which begs the question, why don't they just send him down and bring someone else up?

because Paquette sucks and they are waiting until being forced to make a move

5 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

because Paquette sucks and they are waiting until being forced to make a move

Isn't being in a situation where you have to dress seven defencemen enough of a force in itself?  If they don't want to play Paquette because he's no good and they don't want to play Pezzetta to make him waiver-eligible, there's a better solution than doing nothing about either one.  Either play Pezzetta his tenth game or send him down.  Sitting someone that's still technically a prospect for more than a week as they've done with him isn't ideal.

24 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Isn't being in a situation where you have to dress seven defencemen enough of a force in itself?  If they don't want to play Paquette because he's no good and they don't want to play Pezzetta to make him waiver-eligible, there's a better solution than doing nothing about either one.  Either play Pezzetta his tenth game or send him down.  Sitting someone that's still technically a prospect for more than a week as they've done with him isn't ideal.

Remember when they brought Ribeiro up as a rookie, kept him in the lineup for long enough to burn the first year of his entry-level deal (15 games or something like that) and then sent him down? LOL. This isn't in that category of ineptitude by a long shot, but it isn't great.

8 hours ago, sbhatt said:

Well, the playoffs are not a realistic outcome, so wins do nothing but hurt draft position.  I'm completely comfortable hoping for regulation losses at this point...this team needs to draft top end talent to get competitive again.

I’m not as big on the draft as other people until it is actually happening. Then of course I want the Habs to have access to every elite prospect. 

It’s not something within my personality that can be changed, nor do I really care to. Even if all the smartest talking heads will always repeat that tanking is a better option, I will always be one that enjoys the entertainment value of every single game, and winning is more entertaining. 

I also disagree with tanking in general and especially this early in the season.

It’s been said ad nauseum but tanking ensures nothing, including actually getting access to the first overall pick, and with our recent high end picks leading to literally nothing in more than one circumstance, it’s simply never worth putting myself through the agony of defeat in order to think about the potential, albeit unlikely benefits that losing will provide for us in the future. 

Caps played earlier, so out of boredom while flicking through channels I fell on this game.  I watched a bit...not even sure why, because they promptly gave up 2 terrible goals.  They are the bums that I thought they would be.

25 minutes ago, sbhatt said:

Caps played earlier, so out of boredom while flicking through channels I fell on this game.  I watched a bit...not even sure why, because they promptly gave up 2 terrible goals.  They are the bums that I thought they would be.

Are you the one jinxing the Habs? :blink:

16 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Aside from the first period, that was a pretty disgusting effort overall from most of the team again. 

Yep. The RDS guys ripped them a collective new one over the 2nd intermission. No accountability, they argued, the same mistakes game after game. Lazy backchecks on the shortie. Sad. DD is simply in over his head and the team has more or less given up.