Mellanby out, Gorton In?

GHT120

On TVA, Renaud Lavoie says there are rumours that Mellanby has quit (been fired?) and that the Habs have asked the Rangers for permission to talk to their for GM.

Jeff Gorton could be a decent placeholder GM if they fire Bergevin and then perhaps move up to President to lead the search for a new "acceptable" GM ... or come on board as President, take on A/GM and start the GM search right away ... doubt he would come to the Habs for a 6-month job as acting GM, but don't see Molson budging from his coach and GM have to be able to speak French ... but I and others have said before, a team President doesn't need to speak French as they do not often meet with the media.

10 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Sounds like gorton for director of hockey ops.  (Ie a spot higher than a gm) ...

That seems to be confirmed

Button is a new twist

I wonder how it is Mellanby went from being seriously considered for GM+ positions in Montreal to suddenly being “out of the running?” Did he break wind in a meeting or something? Or say he prefers Labatt?

Don’t know much about Groton…he seems to have done stellar work in Boston, but came in in NY at the tail end of one era, oversaw the early rebuild, got canned before that work could really come to fruition. More fine-grained insight into his tenure there would be welcome. I like that he has considerable experience, anyway.

EDIT: Button?? Really?? Surely not - ? And he’s not bilingual, is he?

1 minute ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I wonder how it is Mellanby went from being seriously considered for GM+ positions in Montreal to suddenly being “out of the running?” Did he break wind in a meeting or something? ...

My GUESS would be that Molson wanted a clean slate and Mellanby wasn't willing to stick around and show the new guys "where the coffee creamer is kept" ... Timmins should be updating his resume ... he has been "on the slate" longer than anyone, and Button dances himself a draftnik ... or maybe Button or Gorton even have a "player personnel guy" that is unemployed and could step in now.

4 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I wonder how it is Mellanby went from being seriously considered for GM+ positions in Montreal to suddenly being “out of the running?” Did he break wind in a meeting or something?

Don’t know much about Groton…he seems to have done stellar work in Boston, but came in in NY at the tail end of one era, oversaw the early rebuild, got canned before that work could really come to fruition. More fine-grained insight into his tenure there would be welcome. I like that he has considerable experience, anyway.

EDIT: Button?? Really?? Surely not - ? And he’s not bilingual, is he?

Don’t know they they wouldn’t just hire Gorton for the GM position. Button was a Fxck up in Calgary, but at this point is take him over MB. Also better than the Roy, or McGuire options.

Just now, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

That is definitely a new twist.  All I can say is WOW!  I didn't see that coming. 

I have a lot more confidence in Gorton’s resume than Button’s. 

3 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Don’t know they they wouldn’t just hire Gorton for the GM position. Button was a Fxck up in Calgary, but at this point is take him over MB. Also better than the Roy, or McGuire options.

You beat me to it, I was going to say the same thing. Mr “Prospect Expert” made a passel of dumb moves in Cowtown. Button…the more I think about it, the more sour I become. I guess people can learn and grow. Let’s hope.

Sportsnet panel reporting that Patrick Roy was never contacted. Thank the sainted ghost of Jean Beliveau.

3 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Gorton may not have wanted both jobs ... knowing Presidents have a longer rope than GMs.

You beat me to it, I was going to say the same thing. Mr “Prospect Expert” made a passel of dumb moves in Cowtown.

And I wouldnt think that's the track record we're looking for.

Just now, tomh009 said:

And I wouldnt think that's the track record we're looking for.

That *was* 20 years ago, though. 

If he is indeed hired, I’ll give him a chance, but without enthusiasm. Also, he’s not French speaking, is he? After a modest grace period, the franco media will be lining up to crucify him.

Just now, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Hopefully Button has the cahones to do a rebuild and is not averse to trading veterans. You would think he will be given some rope as you have to give the new guy some time to put his stamp on things. 

It's a fake report from a guy who literally calls himself a fake insider.  It's not real.

You beat me to it, I was going to say the same thing. Mr “Prospect Expert” made a passel of dumb moves in Cowtown.

As sometimes happens, the Flames went to the Final the season after he was fired.

25 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I wonder how it is Mellanby went from being seriously considered for GM+ positions in Montreal to suddenly being “out of the running?” Did he break wind in a meeting or something? Or say he prefers Labatt?

Assuming the report is correct, the more intriguing question I have -- is Molson willing to hire a non-bilingual GM, then? That would significantly expand the list of possible candidates. (Unless Mellanby has picked up French in his spare time ...)

15 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

It's a fake report from a guy who literally calls himself a fake insider.  It's not real.

My apologies ... after the Lebrun and Dredger reports fanning the flames of re-org of some sort I did not notice whose tweets I was posting ... mea culpa.

43 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Assuming the report is correct, the more intriguing question I have -- is Molson willing to hire a non-bilingual GM, then? That would significantly expand the list of possible candidates. (Unless Mellanby has picked up French in his spare time ...)

They were believed to have interest in Jim Nill last time who didn't speak french.  Maybe it's an option here as I don't think Mellanby learned the language; he didn't even work out of Montreal.

On RDS' L'Antichambre, François Gagnon said:

1) he has been told the next GM of the habs will speak French, not be French but speak French ...

(2) Bergevin found out Mellanby quit at the same time as everyone else (i.e., if true, Mellanby didn't send Marc his resignation)

(3) Roy has not (yet?) spoken with the habs

(4) he thinks Jeff Gorton's longer-term role may not be to support/supervise/mentor a young, less experienced new GM