Mellanby out, Gorton In?

GHT120

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

It's a fake report from a guy who literally calls himself a fake insider.  It's not real.

That was definitely my 1st thought, 2nd and 3rd.  

12 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

On RDS' L'Antichambre, François Gagnon said:

1) he has been told the next GM of the habs will speak French, not be French but speak French ...

(2) Bergevin found out Mellanby quit at the same time as everyone else (i.e., if true, Mellanby didn't send Marc his resignation)

(3) Roy has not (yet?) spoken with the habs

(4) he wonders if Jeff Gorton's longer-term role may not be to support/supervise a young, less experienced new GM

If the next GM isn't French but speaks it then it might be Blair MacKasey.  He was interviewed when they hired MB.  

27 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

On RDS' L'Antichambre, François Gagnon said:

1) he has been told the next GM of the habs will speak French, not be French but speak French ...

(2) Bergevin found out Mellanby quit at the same time as everyone else (i.e., if true, Mellanby didn't send Marc his resignation)

(4) he thinks Jeff Gorton's longer-term role may not be to support/supervise/mentor a young, less experienced new GM

Hopefully (3) remains unchanged.

Put (1) and (4) together and that’s quite interesting. I don’t know who this bilingual-but-not-French Young Turk might be! 

On (2) that bodes very poorly for MB, even worse than the decision not to invest in Mellanby. He’s surely gonzo, and leaving with a bad taste in his mouth, no doubt.

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

Jeff Marek mentioned this on the HNIC broadcast as well tonight.

49 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

If the next GM isn't French but speaks it then it might be Blair MacKasey.  He was interviewed when they hired MB.  

It was suggested to me a couple of hours ago that Rejean (Ray) Shero may be someone they're considering for GM.  His mother was french but I don't know how well he speaks it, if at all (neither did the person who suggested it to me so it is definitely speculation).  Both he and Gorton were proponents of a slower building process - Shero with NJ, Gorton with NYR - if Molson was open to going that route.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

On (2) that bodes very poorly for MB, even worse than the decision not to invest in Mellanby. He’s surely gonzo, and leaving with a bad taste in his mouth, no doubt.

I agree - but Molson could be that sold on MB.  This horrid season isn't entirely MB fault and there are numerous Pros for sucking this season.   

Its fairly clear to most that the Habs have a player development issue, but it seems that it might extend to managerial development too.  The Habs have certainly lost numerous people by failing to promote them and allowing other teams to hire them.  

29 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

It was suggested to me a couple of hours ago that Rejean (Ray) Shero may be someone they're considering for GM.  His mother was french but I don't know how well he speaks it, if at all (neither did the person who suggested it to me so it is definitely speculation).  Both he and Gorton were proponents of a slower building process - Shero with NJ, Gorton with NYR - if Molson was open to going that route.

I didn't realize his name is actually Rejean, but he is American so I would have to assume that he does not speak French.  After all, its unarguable that he's Anglicized his 1st name.  He could easily go by Rej/Reg or Reggie, which ironically do sound sort of French, but Ray doesn't.  It seems like he prefers to be viewed as an Italian American vs French.  Most people in the US with French last names are just Americans and have no connection with their French heritage.  

From this article, it seems like the departure of MB is speculation.

Lebrun confirms Mellanby left because he would not be retained for the GM/President jobs

Lebrun also confirms there is permission to talk to Gorton, but for a role above GM: probably President of Hockey Ops

====

I know most are sick and tired of Bergevin and Timmins.

I would like to see them continue under a president of operations like Gorton. They are good Professional and Amateur player evaluators but not good enough to build a cup contending team. Gorton could provide the direction the team needs in developing their prospects and in building towards the goal of winning a cup

But I am almost certain that is not what will happen.

Given that Molson had already made an offer to Bergevin, which Bergevin had rejected, I can’t see how adding Gorton to the mix would make the job more attractive to Bergevin. Likely the opposite.

2 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Given that Molson had already made an offer to Bergevin, which Bergevin had rejected, I can’t see how adding Gorton to the mix would make the job more attractive to Bergevin. Likely the opposite.

I know, I just don't know who could do a better job from the names that have been circulating:

Darche? really?

Madden JR? What have the Ducks won since 2007? They have raked more points than the Habs, but have fallen short in the playoffs

Roy? how successful did he make Colorado? or wasn't their rise after he left?

Gregg Button? a better choice than Pierre McGuire... but no one that has ever shown respect or interest in the Habs

out of potential inexperienced/rookie GMs, I like Mark Hunter, Bobby Smith and maybe Brière. Vincent Damphouse was a candidate when MB was hired but he pulled out due to his marital problems. But I would prefer a candidate with some experience and the personality needed for the jobs

7 minutes ago, titanfan said:

Keep hearing Roberto Luongo's name mentioned....

Seems a smart, witty fellow and was awesome goalie, but he seemed to be happy with life in Florida, isnt he?

Somewhat disappointed the Habs communications team would choose a "goofy" picture of Mellanby to post with their news release ... and if THAT is the best picture they had, they aren't too good at their job.

cut.jpg

4 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

out of potential inexperienced/rookie GMs, I like Mark Hunter, Bobby Smith and maybe Brière. Vincent Damphouse was a candidate when MB was hired but he pulled out due to his marital problems. But I would prefer a candidate with some experience and the personality needed for the jobs

Briere??  I don't think this is the time for a GM with no experience.  (Remember Rejean Houle) There are a lot of tough decisions to be made.  But finding an experienced GM ready, willing and able who has been successful is not going to be easy either.  Oh yeah, plus finding one that speaks French really narrows the field. 

2 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Briere??  I don't think this is the time for a GM with no experience.  (Remember Rejean Houle) There are a lot of tough decisions to be made.  But finding an experienced GM ready, willing and able who has been successful is not going to be easy either.  Oh yeah, plus finding one that speaks French really narrows the field. 

If Gorton is on board, an up&coming GM with experience below the GM level is not as scary as a newbie being handed the keys with no supervision (ala Bergevin).

7 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

If Gorton is on board, an up&coming GM with experience below the GM level is not as scary as a newbie being handed the keys with no supervision (ala Bergevin).

I don't really think of MB as a newbie when he came to Montreal. He spent time in Chicago as an Assistant Coach, Director of Player Personnel and Assistant GM.  That's not a bad resume.  I agree though that having Gorton on board will help anybody coming in. 

11 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I don't really think of MB as a newbie when he came to Montreal. He spent time in Chicago as an Assistant Coach, Director of Player Personnel and Assistant GM.  That's not a bad resume.  I agree though that having Gorton on board will help anybody coming in. 

And I'm not advocating for a Luongo type newbie ... just that a first-time, but groomed, GM will be better served than Bergevin ever was with Gorton to mentor him.

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

Somewhat disappointed the Habs communications team would choose a "goofy" picture of Mellanby to post with their news release ... and if THAT is the best picture they had, they aren't too good at their job.

It's the only usable one I was able to find of him as well (and I've noticed a lot of other sites used it as well).  He was rarely around the team so there really weren't a lot of opportunities for a better picture.

9 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

And I'm not advocating for a Luongo type newbie ... just that a first-time, but groomed, GM will be better served than Bergevin ever was with Gorton to mentor him.

The GM needs to have a good base of managerial experience: he should have been around hockey ops enough to know how the totality of a hockey organization works, and to be at that stage of career development where you think to yourself, “I could do this job, and if I did it, here’s how I’d do it.” Houle didn’t even have that. He was just some Molson exec who used to play hockey and who then got thrown into a role he didn’t have a clue about, any more than Blueberry knew anything about coaching.

But the new guy doesn’t need to be a former GM as such. The Habs should not be boxed into recycling the same old names from the short list of former NHL GMs. Indeed, even brilliant, shiny GMs like Bob Gainey or Peter Chiarelli afford no guarantee of success on their second go-round. So you’re right - hiring a new name, while having a Gorton on board to mentor, is a totally valid approach, one we should have taken in 2012 when we hired Bergevin.

Such a new hire will, by definition, almost certainly not have a GMing resume to rival Bergevin’s. MB has nine years as GM and the new guy will have less. That doesn’t mean he (or she) won’t do better than Bergevin - especially in drafting and development, where Bergevin has proven to be hot garbage.

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

Yes, I said basically the same thing on the other thread.

All Hype and nothing to report yet. Yesterday, some journalists were saying an announcement would be coming today.

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

It's the only usable one I was able to find of him as well (and I've noticed a lot of other sites used it as well).  He was rarely around the team so there really weren't a lot of opportunities for a better picture.

One would have hoped the team itself would have a few more ... they must have had a "yearbook photo" that the used on the website for the management team.

MONTREAL - Geoff Molson, Owner, President, and Chief Executive Officer of the Club de hockey Canadien, has announced that Marc Bergevin, Executive Vice President and General Manager, Trevor Timmins, Assistant General Manager, as well as Paul Wilson, Senior Vice President, Public Affairs and Communications, have been relieved of their respective functions, effective immediately.

A process to recruit, as soon as possible, the team's next General Manager is under way. While the next General Manager will bring significant hockey expertise to the organization, an additional criterion of that person's role will be to communicate with fans in both French and English.

To assure the continuity of the day-to-day hockey operations during this process, Mr. Molson has retained the services of Jeff Gorton, who will serve as Executive Vice President, Hockey Operations.

Geoff just won't give up the President title

8 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

MONTREAL - Geoff Molson, Owner, President, and Chief Executive Officer of the Club de hockey Canadien, has announced that Marc Bergevin, Executive Vice President and General Manager, Trevor Timmins, Assistant General Manager, as well as Paul Wilson, Senior Vice President, Public Affairs and Communications, have been relieved of their respective functions, effective immediately.

A process to recruit, as soon as possible, the team's next General Manager is under way. While the next General Manager will bring significant hockey expertise to the organization, an additional criterion of that person's role will be to communicate with fans in both French and English.

To assure the continuity of the day-to-day hockey operations during this process, Mr. Molson has retained the services of Jeff Gorton, who will serve as Executive Vice President, Hockey Operations.

Geoff just won't give up the President title

It's about time the do a clean house right. This organization needs a new voice and new vision. 30 years of the same shit gets tiring. 

Now wonder if a full 5 year rebuild will start? Build the team around Suzuki and Caufield 

• Like 1