Jump to content

Mellanby out, Gorton In?


GHT120
 Share

Recommended Posts

Having been laid-off a couple of time, I hate how certain reporters are celebrating this with glee, showing no respect for people that were honest and dedicated to their jobs.

 

MB had to go, it was clear. TT had to go, to change the regime. I agree on the changes.

 

But journalists and reporters should be more professional than any fan on a forum.

 

====

The king is dead, long live the king

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Having been laid-off a couple of time, I hate how certain reporters are celebrating this with glee, showing no respect for people that were honest and dedicated to their jobs.

 

MB had to go, it was clear. TT had to go, to change the regime. I agree on the changes.

 

But journalists and reporters should be more professional than any fan on a forum.

 

====

The king is dead, long live the king

 

You want sympathy and loyalty get a dog🐩🐕🐶😎😊🤣

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Having been laid-off a couple of time, I hate how certain reporters are celebrating this with glee, showing no respect for people that were honest and dedicated to their jobs.

 

MB had to go, it was clear. TT had to go, to change the regime. I agree on the changes.

 

But journalists and reporters should be more professional than any fan on a forum.

 

====

The king is dead, long live the king

 

 

I don't disagree, I am big on professionalism.  MB and the staff worked hard, didn't get the success we had hoped for. Let's hope the devil we don't know will be better than the devil we know. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

Now wonder if a full 5 year rebuild will start? Build the team around Suzuki and Caufield 

 

Let's hope they get it right. Suzuki and Caulfield will be key components of the rebuild.  At least any brand new group will know they will have 3-5 years before they are judged so they don't have to think short term. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Let's hope they get it right. Suzuki and Caulfield will be key components of the rebuild.  At least any brand new group will know they will have 3-5 years before they are judged so they don't have to think short term. 

 

*** IF *** Molson gives it to them ... his mandate could (but shouldn't) be "we made the Final last season make a couple mod changes and get us there again" ... but I take some comfort in his bringing the guy who got the Rangers to announce a rebuild ... although they didn't do a full tear down.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

 

*** IF *** Molson gives it to them ... his mandate could (but shouldn't) be "we made the Final last season make a couple mod changes and get us there again" ... but I take some comfort in his bringing the guy who got the Rangers to announce a rebuild ... although they didn't do a full tear down.

 

No way somebody accepts the job with the expectations that they get back to the final right away. You don't hire a brand new guy without giving them some latitude. I don't think Molson is a complete idiot. 

 

I agree with your 2nd part though, it looks like Gorton is a guy who understands when a rebuild has to be done and it should be pretty clear that one needs to be done now. I also take some comfort in that. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Having been laid-off a couple of time, I hate how certain reporters are celebrating this with glee, showing no respect for people that were honest and dedicated to their jobs.

 

MB had to go, it was clear. TT had to go, to change the regime. I agree on the changes.

 

But journalists and reporters should be more professional than any fan on a forum.

 

The term professional doesn't really apply to some reporters who follow this team.  Some are great, others not so much.  Many are showing their true colours here.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, titanfan said:

He doesn't speak French

 

He knew that going into the discussion though.  He wouldn't have promised him the job if it was strictly a language thing; he'd have never been considered for it in the first place.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

 

Interesting...Russo and Mellanby have a long-standing connection going back to their days in Florida so I think there's something to that one.  I wonder why Molson changed his mind?

If you're going to hire a Bergevin clone you might as well keep the original one. I guess Molson felt we needed a new vision and voice in the front office which is why he cleaned house and fired everyone. Hiring Gorton tells you he wants a new direction other wise he would of either resign Bergevin or hired Mellanby to replace him. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

 

I don't disagree, I am big on professionalism.  MB and the staff worked hard, didn't get the success we had hoped for. Let's hope the devil we don't know will be better than the devil we know. 

 

Why the devil? we've had different incarnations of that SOB since the 1990s. Time to move on...

 

22 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

 

The term professional doesn't really apply to some reporters who follow this team.  Some are great, others not so much.  Many are showing their true colours here.

 

Yes, unfortunately getting clicks and likes is far more important for some.

 

Let's hope the new brass can navigate through these troubled waters

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

 

Interesting...Russo and Mellanby have a long-standing connection going back to their days in Florida so I think there's something to that one.  I wonder why Molson changed his mind?

The question is what that "promised" really was. I think it's pretty clear no formal offer was made as otherwise the messaging would have looked a whole lot different. He may have felt the job was his, but Molson clearly had not yet made a final decision.

 

The way things worked out, though, he probably should not have resigned. Staying another day and being fired instead would have got him a severance package at the minimum.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

 

Why the devil? we've had different incarnations of that SOB since the 1990s. Time to move on...

 

 

Yes, unfortunately getting clicks and likes is far more important for some.

 

Let's hope the new brass can navigate through these troubled waters

 

It is time for a bona fide rebuild. The last time we had one was when Gainey came aboard. (It failed, but no one can deny that he brought in a large crop of young talent; he did things the proper way, it just didn’t work out). Since Gainey 1.0 crapped out in 2009, it has been a question of patch up jobs, half-rebuilds, and ultimately confusion. Time to start anew.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

If you're going to hire a Bergevin clone you might as well keep the original one. I guess Molson felt we needed a new vision and voice in the front office which is why he cleaned house and fired everyone. Hiring Gorton tells you he wants a new direction other wise he would of either resign Bergevin or hired Mellanby to replace him. 

Apparently he did try resign Bergevin (earlier), but Bergevin didn't accept.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

 

It is time for a bona fide rebuild. The last time we had one was when Gainey came aboard. (It failed, but no one can deny that he brought in a large crop of young talent; he did things the proper way, it just didn’t work out). Since Gainey 1.0 crapped out in 2009, it has been a question of patch up jobs, half-rebuilds, and ultimately confusion. Time to start anew.  

It was painful as a fan to go through that.

i still remember how poorly the team played on the night #23 was retired. Team had no heart 

 

MB was laughed at for the emphasis on character. I liked that phase better 

 

still, neither won a cup. Both had to go when they did 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:
 
Geoff just won't give up the President title

Most corporations (and countries!) only have one president, though. 🙂 I don't see anything wrong with the title, and apparently Gorton didn't, either.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

On a gut level, I feel especially relieved at the departure of Timmins. 17 years of middling-to-mediocre drafting is more than enough. 

Maybe some day someone will write a memoir and we'll find out who actually made the calls on those draft picks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

It was painful as a fan to go through that.

i still remember how poorly the team played on the night #23 was retired. Team had no heart 

 

MB was laughed at for the emphasis on character. I liked that phase better 

 

still, neither won a cup. Both had to go when they did 

 

Yep. It’s like a prime minister…they come in full of hope, they gradually build a record in office, they do some good things and some bad things, but eventually the government rots out under them and needs to be replaced.

 

The 2009 team collapsed under some combination of key injuries (Markov and Lang), a player rebellion against Carbo, a clutch uncommitted players who were checking out mentally in the final year of their contracts, and - most importantly - the fact that those guys just weren’t good enough.

 

The high water mark organizationally since Houle occurred when Gainey Rebuild 2.0 (really a “retool”) came to fruition in 2014 and ‘15. Unfortunately that could not be sustained, due to injuries to Price and the ageing out of Pleks and Markov. The other high water mark was last spring when the old core (Price, Weber, Petry, Danault) came together for one last hurrah. But that was a short-term sugar-high, not a sign of a fundamentally strong organization. Indeed, ironically, it was just the reverse.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...