Marc Bergevin's track record: points/playoff and drafts

alfredoh2009

26 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

As my thoughts continue....

My general sentiment is that on either end of the spectrum, there is and has been too much emphasis and focus placed on Marc Bergevin.

The team’s successes and failures are much bigger than him.

Of course the general manager plays an important role in the composition of the lineup however when I look at the top and see teams like Pittsburgh and Washington, I think of Sidney Crosby and Alexander Ovechkin. These are players who have been on their respective teams for 15+ years. 

Pittsburgh and Washington have been through multiple GMs in that timespan. Furthermore, there was nothing in Bergevin’s power that could be done to prevent Pittsburgh and Washington from having those type of players. This is simply my point, in that there are a large amount of factors that are being overlooked with this data.

Who has been the player who gives our team the main perceived recipe for success? Carey Price. Also here for 15+ years and longer than our GM’s tenure. Had Carey Price maintained a super human level at any point, the Habs may have a cup and it would have had little to do with Bergevin. This can obviously only be said in retrospect considering we did not win, and I understand that. On the other end of the spectrum, having Carey Price, our best player on the team, has nothing to do with Bergevin, so how does he deserve credit or angst for his performance?

I apologize that it comes off as attacking the hard work put in, as it is not intended that way. It is true, however that the tables were started with an agenda in mind and while I am on the same side of the fence that Bergevin was an average GM, rather than the worst GM in the league, I think that the debate is still up in the air and basically anyone can have their own opinion on the topic.

I agree , anyone can make their own opinion.

Geoff Molson’s presser is providing lots of answers 

good on him, he could not be more clear 

Edited by alfredoh2009

18 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Me, I should not get worked up and K should move on from reminiscing about MB

Okay, understood. Sorry about that. It’s all good to reminisce though. Especially considering he just got fired. And you definitely made your point that he certainly wasn’t the worst gm in the world, as many had liked to portray throughout his tenure. 

41 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Okay, understood. Sorry about that. It’s all good to reminisce though. Especially considering he just got fired. And you definitely made your point that he certainly wasn’t the worst gm in the world, as many had liked to portray throughout his tenure. 

Nah, no worries. It’s what the forum is for: to discuss and even argue about all things related to the team we love