What should Gorton do?

What’s Gorton going to do?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of GM are we getting?

• Roy
    • Darche or Madden JR
    • An ex player with 0 experience
    • An experienced GM
  2. 2. Complete rebuild or a short re-tool?

• Rebuild
    • Re-tool
  3. 3. What to do with Ducharme?

• Fire now
    • Keep him to complete the tank and fire at end of season
    • Possibly keep him if the new GM likes him

51 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

You don't bring in Roy now as GM after you hired Gorton to run things as VP. If you were to bring in Roy I would of did it as VP let him ruin the whole thing.

Fixed that for you. :D

On 12/4/2021 at 6:30 PM, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Really, too inexperienced. But it would be cool to see all the same.

14 years a head coach in USports, Olympian, Hall of Famer, 2 plus years of head of Player Development with an NHL team...  to me she seems to fit the current parameters very well.

I thought it was pretty telling that when Patrick Roy's name was first brought up in the press conference Gorton described him as "emotional" then later changed it to passionate.  I think that is a pretty good clue, he is unlikely to hire someone he thinks of as "emotional". 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I thought it was pretty telling that when Patrick Roy's name was first brought up in the press conference Gorton described him as "emotional" then later changed it to passionate.  I think that is a pretty good clue, he is unlikely to hire someone he thinks of as "emotional". 

Good.

Was kinda counting on Roy not being a realistic option and more a joke.

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

For some historical perspective ...

NgE7ypaj.jpg

Gorton was not that great at drafting. I remember now thinking that we were better off with MB and TT because the reset for NYR led to more upheaval and little impact players until Fox 

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Good ol’ uncle Bob

God bless Bob. Although I have to admit, he does seem like a bit of a dinosaur at this point; his involvement doesn't bring me the sense of reassurance it might have done 15 years ago.

Personally, not sure why people are excited by Gorton.

His track record is not that impressive from a team success point of view when he was in charge, seems to have done well personally in his career trajectory.

What is there to brag about for a Rangers fan under his watch?

Previous posts in this thread provide good example.

His statement that he intended to improve/leverage the use of analytics was embraced well, but then followed up with a statement that Bob G is going to be involved with new hiring process contradicts that.
Ole Bob is just that, old.  and while nostalgia is good it flies in the face of moving forward using modern tools like analytics. Shouldn’t someone strong in that area (technology, youth movement in the league, modern management techniques and analytical thinking)be involved with this new hire?

Overall I feel like he is being given a lot of love and I don’t understand why yet. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, hockeyrealist said:

Personally, not sure why people are excited by Gorton.

His track record is not that impressive from a team success point of view when he was in charge, seems to have done well personally in his career trajectory.

What is there to brag about for a Rangers fan under his watch?

Previous posts in this thread provide good example.

His statement that he intended to improve/leverage the use of analytics was embraced well, but then followed up with a statement that Bob G is going to be involved with new hiring process contradicts that.
Ole Bob is just that, old.  and while nostalgia is good it flies in the face of moving forward using modern tools like analytics. Shouldn’t someone strong in that area (technology, youth movement in the league, modern management techniques and analytical thinking)be involved with this new hire?

Overall I feel like he is being given a lot of love and I don’t understand why yet. 

Of course we won't know for a while whether Gorton does a good job or not. I like that he is not afraid of a rebuild in a big hockey market.  I am sure Bob G is not the only one he talks to regarding the GM position , I don't think  it contradicts anything, Bob does understand the Montreal market. If Bob was a candidate for GM I would be concerned but he is not. I have enormous respect for Bob Gainey the player and person, he didn't do a good job as GM. 

The Rangers are in pretty good shape today and that's because of decisions made a few years ago. 

1 hour ago, hockeyrealist said:

... then followed up with a statement that Bob G is going to be involved with new hiring process contradicts that.

Ole Bob is just that, old ...

I think Gainey's role will be, in large part, providing context/advice on the Montreal market ... he may also provide a second set of eyes/ears throughout the interview process, but Gorton has a good idea of the traits he wants in the next GM ... doubt Bob will have any input into that.

I'm OK with input. As long as it's Gorton making the decision, he can ask ask for input from Ducharme, from Julien, from the team's physiotherapist, anyone at all. Input is fine, as long as no one gets a veto.

4 hours ago, tomh009 said:

For some historical perspective ...

NgE7ypaj.jpg

A few things this chart doesn't show.

1) Gorton traded Derrick Brassard for Mika Zibanejad and a 2nd round pick in 2016 (excellent trade)

2) he signed Artemi Panarin as a free agent 

3) he traded for Adam Fox  (won the Norris Trophy last year)

Some pretty good moves. 

11 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Gorton robbed the Canes blind on that Adam Fox trade. Two second-round picks for a future Norris winner ...

He sure did.  Admittedly he had some leverage as Fox apparently didn't want to play in Carolina. But still. Two 2nd round picks for a young stud defenseman, Norris trophy winner, still only 23. 

Hopefully it makes him try harder to sign Jordan Harris as he sees how these young college blue chip defenseman can develop. I am not saying Harris turns into Fox only that there is a lot of potential there. It might also make Harris realize (I am sure he has already) how lucrative it can be to burn 1 year of your ELC when you can. 

Gorton shouldn't get credit for Panarin and Fox wanting to play only for the Rangers, or for double lottery luck that resulted in two consensus picks that aren't looking so hot right now.  What are the biggest moves he made besides those, the Zibanejad trade?  He certainly personifies Molson's preferred meathead mould.  

20 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Do you think there was a better candidate out there than Jeff Gorton?  Who would you have hired? 

I don't know most front office personnel around the league.  I heard the assistant GM in Washington mentioned as having a good track record.  Boston and Tampa always have more talent coming through than us.  Most top talent evaluators aren't household names.  Gorton seems to have a respectable track record but I have no idea of his stature as a hockey mind.  He sure looks like Molson's type of guy, though.  

22 minutes ago, Neech said:

Most top talent evaluators aren't household names.  

I agree. GM's quite often get the  credit/blame for a team's drafting record but it's the guy's behind the scenes, on the road doing the legwork. I have no idea how much the GM's listen to or overrule the scouting department. It would be interesting to listen to those discussions. 

7 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

A few things this chart doesn't show.

1) Gorton traded Derrick Brassard for Mika Zibanejad and a 2nd round pick in 2016 (excellent trade)

2) he signed Artemi Panarin as a free agent 

3) he traded for Adam Fox  (won the Norris Trophy last year)

Some pretty good moves. 

trades and free agent signings, I agree.

but his drafting was terrible!

I hope someone like Madden, who is really good at drafting, warms up to Montreal. He would complement Gorton very well.

On 12/5/2021 at 5:43 PM, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I guess hiring an agent might be OK but that agent also needs to be a good judge of hockey talent which is far more important than being able to negotiate contracts. 

Part of a job of an agent is scouting talent when they are 14 and 15 and 16 years old and knowing which prospects to offer your services to.

Between my draft stuff online at the website and my law degree i interviewed with a couple agencies in 2018.  Didnt work out for various reasons (mostly that they were entry level positions at low pay and law firms were offering way more money) but they were more interested in the interviews asking about my scouting work than about my legal experience. They even straight out said that was the website what put me ahead of many candidates with just law degrees.

It was also a lot of hours on the road to watch a lot of 14-16 year olds and meet with their families.

If i was straight out of law school and not someone with a mortgage to pay and fiancee and stuff i probably would have taken it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1