Jump to content

Habs claim Kale Clague


dlbalr
 Share

Recommended Posts

55 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Why am I not surprised about the habs picks? Not many bonafide NHL’ers drafted between 2012-2018. 

We have what Lekhonan and Evans on our team from those years?

Caufield from 2019, and that’s about it. Anyone with a worse record than that?

 

We have Pezetta, Poehling and Romanov, KK tuned into Dvorak,  Galchenyuk into Josh Anderson, Sergachev into Drouin,  Jordan Harris,  Jesse Ylonen and Cayden Primeau will be here soon. It's not stellar for sure but not quite as terrible as you make it out to be. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

 

We have Pezetta, Poehling and Romanov, KK tuned into Dvorak,  Galchenyuk into Josh Anderson, Sergachev into Drouin,  Jordan Harris,  Jesse Ylonen and Cayden Primeau will be here soon. It's not stellar for sure but not quite as terrible as you make it out to be. 

How many of our OWN drafted and deceptive players are on the team?? Only one I really missed is Poehling and Romanov  and they aren’t really core players - look better this year, but not yet established regulars.

 

Tampa tonight from the same period had Vasilevskiy, Point, Joseph, Colten, Cirelli, Raddysh, Foote, Fortier, and other core players like Kucherov, Kilorn, Palat, Stamkos, and Hedman are also hime drafted and developed.

 

they also traded Drafted and aging players for core players like Sergechev, and McDonough - much better

moves than any ones we made.

 

One of the arguments I keep hearing is we made moves, so traded away picks to go for it. So has Tampa.  They have just done a hell of a better job drafting and developing their picks - including mid round picks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Everyone knows that Habs drafting and development has sucked ass. Not a single top-6 FW or top-4 defenceman in 10 years. Come on.

Yep. Only thing is worse is reading excuses for our the lack of success, rather than acknowledging 

the utter incompetence of management.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, DON said:

The kid had bit of rough start with Habs.

But 17:29 and he didnt seem horrible.

I thought the same. His give away on the first goal was bad, but he moved the puck up ice most of the time. He was physically overpowered a few times but not as bad as Wideman usually is.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Everyone knows that Habs drafting and development has sucked ass. Not a single top-6 FW or top-4 defenceman in 10 years. Come on.

 

Then why do people keep bringing it up?  It hasn't been good.  Bergevin and Timmins got fired because of it.  Do we need to continue to rehash the past.  Let's move forward. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

How many of our OWN drafted and deceptive players are on the team?? Only one I really missed is Poehling and Romanov  and they aren’t really core players - look better this year, but not yet established regulars.

 

Tampa tonight from the same period had Vasilevskiy, Point, Joseph, Colten, Cirelli, Raddysh, Foote, Fortier, and other core players like Kucherov, Kilorn, Palat, Stamkos, and Hedman are also hime drafted and developed.

 

they also traded Drafted and aging players for core players like Sergechev, and McDonough - much better

moves than any ones we made.

 

One of the arguments I keep hearing is we made moves, so traded away picks to go for it. So has Tampa.  They have just done a hell of a better job drafting and developing their picks - including mid round picks.

 

I think 100% of the people on this forum would agree with you that Tampa has done a much better job than Montreal at drafting and development.  That's why they have won 2 cups in a row and that's Bergevin and Timmins got fired.  Not much else to say. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

 

We have Pezetta, Poehling and Romanov, KK tuned into Dvorak,  Galchenyuk into Josh Anderson, Sergachev into Drouin,  Jordan Harris,  Jesse Ylonen and Cayden Primeau will be here soon. It's not stellar for sure but not quite as terrible as you make it out to be. 

I hate the KK turned into Dvorak argument.  (Not a personal attack, as I have heard this often).  Truth is we completely mismanaged KK.  Then desperately needed someone to take his place and scrambled to get Dvorak.  There was no plan to move KK for Dvorak.  Saying KK turned into Dvorak is really a stretch.

 

Absolutely Sergachev turned into Drouin.  That was a move.  KK was a clusterf#$k of epic proportions.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Klusterf#$K  (might as well start the word with K and end it with one!) all started with drafting him third overall.

 

Then calling him up too early.  Burning a year of his contract.  Using him poorly.  Benching him in the playoffs.  Not getting his contract done.  Watching him leave.  Then panicking and trading assets for Dvorak...

 

Stay tuned, it isn't over yet...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, titanfan said:

Then calling him up too early.  Burning a year of his contract.  Using him poorly.  Benching him in the playoffs.  Not getting his contract done.  Watching him leave.  Then panicking and trading assets for Dvorak...

 

This thing of it being Bergevin's fault that a deal didn't get done is somewhat disingenuous.  Yes, there was a contract offer on the table, a two-year bridge and it was made early in free agency.  Kotkaniemi's agent told the Habs they didn't want a bridge deal and then went and signed a bridge deal elsewhere, albeit at a much higher price tag than Kotkaniemi was worth.  He wasn't worthy of a long-term big money contract so it would have made no sense for Bergevin to give him one.  It would have made no sense for the Habs to offer him one year at $6.1 million.  The offer that made sense was the one they made and Kotkaniemi chose not to sign it with his agent getting Carolina to wildly overpay in the process.  Had the Hurricanes not been interested in revenge, guess what, Kotkaniemi would have signed the two-year bridge deal just like every other post-ELC RFA that wants a long-term pact and waits it out to only wind up settling for the team's offer, a process that happens several times a year.  I can't fault Bergevin for following the same script that pretty much every other team follows with their mid-tier post-ELC guys every other year.

 

Don't get me wrong, the rest of the points you make are very legitimate but I can't fault Bergevin for the contract.

 

As for Clague to keep this on topic, I thought he was decent.  It was encouraging to see that much ice time for him considering what Niku and Norlinder get when they're in the lineup.  It seems like they'll give him a good look.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I thought the same. His give away on the first goal was bad, but he moved the puck up ice most of the time. He was physically overpowered a few times but not as bad as Wideman usually is.

 

Soft as warm butter Wideman is, but good for team-tank i suppose.

12 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

 

Then why do people keep bringing it up?  It hasn't been good.  Bergevin and Timmins got fired because of it.  Do we need to continue to rehash the past.  Let's move forward. 

It aint the only dead horse that needs to be buried once and for all, but we know they never will go away and will keep popping up.:wall:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Whatever we make of being offer-shat, KK was mismanaged in two senses:

 

1. He was not the BPA at #3 overall.

2. He was brought up waaaaay too early. 

 

They bungled that file. 

They didn't choose BPA, they drafted for organizational need as we basically had no top-6 centres in the prospect pipeline, and trading for one is difficult. So, they took the best C available. In retrospect, it didn't work out, but I do understand the rationale.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

They didn't choose BPA, they drafted for organizational need as we basically had no top-6 centres in the prospect pipeline, and trading for one is difficult. So, they took the best C available. In retrospect, it didn't work out, but I do understand the rationale.

Interesting stat.  KK was the top Centre of the 2018 draft.  He has played more games than the next 5 centres drafted combined.

 

Only 4 centres from that entire draft have scored more than 5 goals in the NHL.

 

KK - 28

Yegor Sharangovich (5th round, 141st overall) - 19

Isac Lundestrom (23rd overall) - 12

Philipp Kurashev (4th round, 120th overall) - 8

 

KK is also first in point with 70.

Sharangovich is second with 38.

 

Might not have been the best year to draft a centre???

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, titanfan said:

Might not have been the best year to draft a centre???

Quite. But the previous five drafts the Habs had picked 25th, 26th, 26th, 9th and 25th, so they may have seen this as a one-time opportunity to draft a top centre.

 

Now, if they had had Suzuki by this time, I think they would have been much more likely to choose the best player available.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...