Fire Hugh-Gort (Hughes and Gorton)

alfredoh2009

Gorton's reset in 2019 (Kakko) Lafreniere (2020) looks like a recipe for the Habs; but until he gets results in Montreal, it is: "what have you done for me lately" ever !

Might as well get started:

* since Gorton started, the Habs have not won a game

* the only hockey decisions that have been made are: to claim Clague on waivers and to send Norlinder to Laval

* Petry, Anderson, Toffoli fell on the ice during a game and are now listed as "injured" until after the holidays

* the first call ups were Schueneman and Dauphin

Edited by alfredoh2009
modified the title to reflect the two-headed GM role
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Hey, great quote from Dylan! I didn’t know you were fellow fan 👍

The existence of this thread is hilarious

image.png

• Like 1

As long as he doesn't do to price what was done to Lundqvist, I would be okay.

Trade Price let him win a cup else were and ride into the sunset as one of the greats to play the game. Don't hold on to him and let him rot through a rebuild like he did with Lundqvist. 

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Gorton's reset in 2019 (Kakko) Lafreniere (2020) look like a recipe for the Habs; but until he gets results in Montreal, it is: "what have you done for me lately" ever !

Might as well get started:

* since Gorton started, the Habs have not won a game

* the only hockey decisions have been to claim Clague on waivers and to send Norlinder to Laval

* Petry, Anderson, Toffoli fell on the ice during a game and are now listed as "injured" until after the holidays

* the first call ups were Schueneman and Dauphin

If we fast forward to 2024/2025 era:  and have same luck Rags did with picking. 2nd/1st in back to back seasons (Kakko, Lafreniere)  we’d have a number one and number two pick overall that end up with a total of 214 NHL gp and only 75 points combined.   If those results are what Gorton brings to this table I will not call that a success nor will it be worth watching a few seasons of garbage hockey to get those picks.

While this thread is hilarious now, it’s gonna age well.

28 minutes ago, hockeyrealist said:

If those results are what Gorton brings to this table I will not call that a success nor will it be worth watching a few seasons of garbage hockey to get those picks.

Currently the Rangers have the best winning percentage in the NHL. He was GM from 2015-2021, I am sure he had nothing to do with their current success.  Kakko and Lafreniere are 20 years old. Are you writing them off already?  Imagine how good the Rangers will be when they get going.

1 hour ago, Habsfan89 said:

Trade Price let him win a cup else were and ride into the sunset as one of the greats to play the game. Don't hold on to him and let him rot through a rebuild like he did with Lundqvist. 

Lundqvist had a full no-trade clause and exercised it on at least one occasion to stay there.  Gorton didn't choose to let him rot, Lundqvist made it clear he wasn't going to accept a trade.  Big difference.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Habsfan89 said:

As long as he doesn't do to price what was done to Lundqvist, I would be okay.

Well, some good goalies (Luongo seem to do fine on horrible teams in Florida, even as a youngster) get stuck in bad situations but are well compensated, so i dont feel too bad for any of them.

1 hour ago, DON said:

Well, some good goalies (Luongo seem to do fine on horrible teams in Florida, even as a youngster) get stuck in bad situations but are well compensated, so i dont feel too bad for any of them.

I want Price to win a cup we wasted the last 5 years of him here in Montreal not trying to win a cup. I hope he goes to Edmonton and wins a few with McDavid. 

17 hours ago, Habsfan89 said:

I want Price to win a cup we wasted the last 5 years of him here in Montreal not trying to win a cup. I hope he goes to Edmonton and wins a few with McDavid. 

Yo do remember that Bergevin made some moves and that the Habs lost to Tampa Bay in the Stanley Cup Final round last season, right ?

1 hour ago, JoeLassister said:

Yo do remember that Bergevin made some moves and that the Habs lost to Tampa Bay in the Stanley Cup Final round last season, right ?

Yeah I also remember he did a retool which wasn't needed when you have guys like Price, Weber and Gallagher and petry on your team. Instead of a retool he should of tried to put together a wining team. He wasted 4 good years out of those guys. 

4 years ago should of either been a full rebuild in which you trade those guys or you go all in trying to win a cup with those guys. 

Bergevin had the habit of waiting years and years to fill glaring roster holes. In that sense, he did indeed burn years of our core players' primes. On the other hand, his super-aggressive summer of 2020 was the single biggest contributor to the Run of '21. Ultimately he kept his implied promise of building a team that had a chance to win within the window of Price/Weber. 

I'd also note that a number of vets said very nice things about him when he was fired, and their affection and belief in him seemed sincere.

The real problem with MB was his dreadful drafting and development.

In any case, he is gone, a new era is starting, let's move forward.

3 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

... In any case, he is gone, a new era is starting, let's move forward.

👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

In any case, he is gone, a new era is starting, let's move forward.

Yes, it's much more fun discussing;

1) How the prospects in the system are doing

2) Who should they trade between now and the deadline. 

3) Who should they draft as it looks like they may/will have a top 5 pick and hopefully end up with at least 1 more 1st rounder. Biggest needs are at center and RHD

2 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

the loosing streak continues: will the Habs win a game for Gorton in 2021?

Left this year;

Philly-Boston-NY-NY-NJ-TB-Carolina

7 games...even a blind squirrel find a nut, once in a while.

So yes win 1 at least, maybe even 2 (i know is crazy talk, but stranger things...)!

On 12/15/2021 at 1:14 PM, DON said:

Left this year;

Philly-Boston-NY-NY-NJ-TB-Carolina

7 games...even a blind squirrel find a nut, once in a while.

So yes win 1 at least, maybe even 2 (i know is crazy talk, but stranger things...)!

will the Habs win two games in a row in 2021? you know, like a winning streak:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_National_Hockey_League_longest_winning_streaks

On 12/9/2021 at 2:08 PM, Habsfan89 said:

Agree what's done is done move on which is why my point was i hope we trade Price so he can go win a cup before his career ends. It just sucks he wont be wining one here. 

Such a weird thing to go on about in this thread. Trading him does nothing to guarantee that he will win a cup. We may as well let him try to win one here. That should be the goal for Gorton.

edit: I don’t need to delve any more into the topic because it becomes personal, but fans like yourself play the odds and make blanket statements such as “Price won’t win a cup with the Habs” and tend to rub it in when it becomes a reality. Sure, many want the Habs to become the Habs of the glory days, but quite Frankly 31 teams won’t be winning the cup in a given year, so it is ridiculously easy to state such a thing and then act like a know it all once it comes to fruition. 

With that being said, we even had some of those same comments on here last year, prior to our Stanley Cup appearance, and some of those posters (or one) never returned once we made the cup final. 

The point of all of this? Price can win a cup as a Canadiens. Will he? That’s entirely up for debate and another question altogether. However, no one knows the answer. That is why we watch the games.

I guess Gorton will not see his team win two games in a row in 2021.

If he was waiting until the n-th game to make any moves ... well, that will come closer to the trade deadline now 

• alfredoh2009 changed the title to Fire Gort-Ghes (Gorton and Hughes)

1. no hope for winning two games in a row anywhere in the near future

2. no move to be able to send the prospects (Primeau, Caufield) to develop in Laval

3. no solution to the black hole (tandem) in nets for Montreal: no respite for the team

4. beside some polite PR interviews, no communication of "the plan" yet, not even a hint

28 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

1. no hope for winning two games in a row anywhere in the near future

2. no move to be able to send the prospects (Primeau, Caufield) to develop in Laval

3. no solution to the black hole (tandem) in nets for Montreal: no respite for the team

4. beside some polite PR interviews, no communication of "the plan" yet, not even a hint

Relax, both fellas were working their phones every time camera panned them. Changes are coming soon'ish', dont worry.

• alfredoh2009 changed the title to Fire Hugh-Gort (Hughes and Gorton)