Fire Hugh-Gort (Hughes and Gorton)

alfredoh2009

Just now, DON said:

Relax, both fellas were working their phones every time camera panned them. Changes are coming soon'ish', dont worry.

I'm such a fool, I thought they were playing Wordle :rofl:

26 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

1. no hope for winning two games in a row anywhere in the near future

2. no move to be able to send the prospects (Primeau, Caufield) to develop in Laval

3. no solution to the black hole (tandem) in nets for Montreal: no respite for the team

4. beside some polite PR interviews, no communication of "the plan" yet, not even a hint

1. I don’t see this team winning 2 in a row until we fire DD.

2. Caufield should absolutely be in the NHL, Premieau should be in the minors out of mercy to him, because I doubt if we win two games even with CAREY PRICE with the effort we are getting from the rest of the team and how porous the defence is.

3. The solution in goal in the current situation is to offer up minor league career scrubs as sacrificial lambs, at her than risk destroying a goalie prospect.

4. What are they going to communicate?? We are having a fire sale at the deadline? We suck? We need to trade a bunch of veterans?? Will that help drive up their value at the deadline? The only issue I have with Mgmt until I see what they do at the deadline, is not firing the coach, and keeping Caufield and Premieau in NHL.

7 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

... 4. What are they going to communicate?? We are having a fire sale at the deadline? We suck? We need to trade a bunch of veterans?? Will that help drive up their value at the deadline? The only issue I have with Mgmt until I see what they do at the deadline, is not firing the coach, and keeping Caufield and Premieau in NHL.

EXACTLY

They have laid out their preference for the teams' style of play longer term and have indicated that almost everybody on the team could be traded for the right offer ... not much else I would want them to say publicly.

• alfredoh2009 changed the title to Fire Hugh-Gort (Hughes and Gorton)
  • 2 weeks later...

Not a criticism per se, just a concern on the "country club" approach to the New Habs:

It’s a legit concern. Hughes was a plausible choice for GM, and Brobov has the scouting chops for sure based on his resume. But St Louis and Lecavalier are both country club hires. It’s fuzzy whether St Louis is actually qualified to be an NHL coach (no one seems to know the extent to which his duties in Columbus represented a serious apprenticeship in coaching. That he was never, ever mentioned in any discussion of possible coaches, in Montreal or elsewhere, suggests not). And there seems to be no particular rationale for bringing Vinny on board other than that he’s a big French name and is pals with management. 

Nepotism will hurt us in the long run, as it does any operation that works in a highly competitive environment.

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Not a criticism per se, just a concern on the "country club" approach to the New Habs:

Brobov is a solid addition. Vinny is a PR move. 

5 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

It’s a legit concern. Hughes was a plausible choice for GM, and Brobov has the scouting chops for sure based on his resume. But St Louis and Lecavalier are both country club hires. It’s fuzzy whether St Louis is actually qualified to be an NHL coach (no one seems to know the extent to which his duties in Columbus represented a serious apprenticeship in coaching. That he was never, ever mentioned in any discussion of possible coaches, in Montreal or elsewhere, suggests not). And there seems to be no particular rationale for bringing Vinny on board other than that he’s a big French name and is pals with management. 

Nepotism will hurt us in the long run, as it does any operation that works in a highly competitive environment.

Vinny is coming in at an extreme entry level position.  Maybe he wants to get involved in hockey management and Hughes said sure.  This is how Yzerman started in Detroit, how Messier started with the Rangers, and how many former stars got into management.  His title and the comments made suggest he is not being given any real responsibility... just observe and give opinions. 

5 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I am not concerned about this yet.  If someone has been around the NHL a long time they will have relationships with a lot of people.  I don't expect them to hire someone they know zero about. 

Exactly, every management team in every sport tries to bring in as many as their own guys as possible.  When it comes to people like Bobrov, he was part of a successful team with Gorton in New York, so why wouldn't Gorton want him again?  Especially with us needing Amateur Scouting help right now. 

2 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

🤣

Just grinding your gears Mr. P.

We could be seeing "foxhole" type hiring I think you are referring to; but, if gets better results this time, that is main thing and that will be awhile off yet.

(and the hate for Lecavalier i dont get, just because he spurned the Habs to stay with Tampa till he was washed up, should blame Hughes more for that shouldnt one?)

1 hour ago, DON said:

... (and the hate for Lecavalier i dont get, just because he spurned the Habs to stay with Tampa till he was washed up, should blame Hughes more for that shouldnt one?)

Per the press conference, VL says in 2008 he OK'd a trade to Montreal but the owners/teams couldn't work things out ... and as a UFA he picked Philly because Laviolette won him over (ironic that Mike was dumped three games into VL's first year with the Flyers) ... just sharing, not saying

7 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Per the press conference, VL says in 2008 he OK'd a trade to Montreal but the owners/teams couldn't work things out ... and as a UFA he picked Philly because Laviolette won him over (ironic that Mike was dumped three games into VL's first year with the Flyers) ... just sharing, not saying

Didnt know that stuff.

Just seems were some who have hate on for him.

I dont know anything too negative about him as player or off-ice.

23 hours ago, DON said:

Just grinding your gears Mr. P.

We could be seeing "foxhole" type hiring I think you are referring to; but, if gets better results this time, that is main thing and that will be awhile off yet.

(and the hate for Lecavalier i dont get, just because he spurned the Habs to stay with Tampa till he was washed up, should blame Hughes more for that shouldnt one?)

Nothing to worry about. I know I am stirring the pot with my constant criticism of « Hugh-Gort’s Country Club for the novice »

I am having fun with it too 

With the trade deadline about one month away, I thought I should put here the transactions done by the new management team. I look forward to good discussions on the next moves, and although I put this under the "fire the two-man GM team": I still want them to be successful because I am a Canadiens Fan and I want the team to win a cup

image.png

4 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

With the trade deadline about one month away, I thought I should put here the transactions done by the new management team. I look forward to good discussions on the next moves, and although I put this under the "fire the two-man GM team": I still want them to be successful because I am a Canadiens Fan and I want the team to win a cup

image.png

• Should not Belzile and Niku not also show waived demoted to Laval to be clear ... they were not lost
  • Charles-David Beaudoin seems out of place ... he has never had an NHL contract (per CapFriendly) ... seems he and Laval agreed to a mutual termination of his AHL/ECHL contract as he had a good offer from the Swedish team ... there are other Laval/Trois Rivières transactions as well.

7 hours ago, GHT120 said:
  • Charles-David Beaudoin seems out of place ... he has never had an NHL contract (per CapFriendly) ... seems he and Laval agreed to a mutual termination of his AHL/ECHL contract as he had a good offer from the Swedish team ... there are other Laval/Trois Rivières transactions as well.

The site that chart comes from - a great resource, by the way - lumps in all NHL and affiliate-related transactions which is why he's on there.

https://www.prosportstransactions.com/hockey/

I like the site because it allows to querie GMs, franchised and staff moves

I used it to track MB’s transactions and I am still on the fence if Inpit in the effort to track Hugh-Gort