December 9th - One H of a game - Habs versus Hawks

GHT120

Caufield managed 3 shots, didnt even notice Ylonen out there, but he had over a minute of PP time and Drouin looked OK, good to see.

Oh well, on to the next one.

8 hours ago, DON said:

Caufield managed 3 shots, didnt even notice Ylonen out there, but he had over a minute of PP time and Drouin looked OK, good to see.

CC was skating well but handling the puck like a hand grenade. Think two of his shots were from at or below the goal line.  Legs were working though.

Ylonen was unnoticeable as you said.

Can’t say I agree about Drouin, was meh. Still think he looks slow and overweight.  Thought Hoffman was best player on that line tonight, Suzuki was not impressive.  Those are three “legit” top 6 players who need to bring it every night, especially when team is so hit with injuries.  That line needs to set the tone with speed and effort.

Allen was only reason the game was close, all of the d looked bad. Clague looks like he should have passed through waivers. 

DD was the biggest disappointment, very poor line management. Even the commentators mentioned how odd it was to roll out the fourth line, centred by Mr. Zero Points Paquette immediately after one of the few sustained pressure shifts. DD should have rolled another offensive line for the o Zone faceoff, but nope here come the shittiest fourth line in hockey. Pacquette has proven to be useless, why can’t DD see that and make an effort to give the team a jump with a strategic move to keep momentum going, but nope let’s throw out the plugs.

He is a shitty coach.

8 hours ago, DON said:

same here, and since warching him play was the only thing I was looking for... I didn't bother watching the 3rd period.

10 shifts, 7:01 TOI = 1:11 PP + 5:50 ES

Pezzetta played on less shift, also had one shot and was noticeable in a good way

🤪 Message to Ylonen: "be more like Pezzetta" ?! 🤪

1 minute ago, hockeyrealist said:

CC was skating well but handling the puck like a hand grenade. Think two of his shots were from at or below the goal line.  Legs were working though.

Ylonen was unnoticeable as you said.

Can’t say I agree about Drouin, was meh. Still think he looks slow and overweight.  Thought Hoffman was best player on that line tonight, Suzuki was not impressive.  Those are three “legit” top 6 players who need to bring it every night, especially when team is so hit with injuries.  That line needs to set the tone with speed and effort.

Allen was only reason the game was close, all of the d looked bad. Clague looks like he should have passed through waivers. 

DD was the biggest disappointment, very poor line management. Even the commentators mentioned how odd it was to roll out the fourth line, centred by Mr. Zero Points Paquette immediately after one of the few sustained pressure shifts. DD should have rolled another offensive line for the o Zone faceoff, but nope here come the shittiest fourth line in hockey. Pacquette has proven to be useless, why can’t DD see that and make an effort to give the team a jump with a strategic move to keep momentum going, but nope let’s throw out the plugs.

He is a shitty coach.

Paquette hardly played, got some extra shifts on the PK. He i snot the reason they lost.

DD actually played the top line more and didn't "roll 4 lines" evenly:

image.png

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

same here, and since warching him play was the only thing I was looking for... I didn't bother watching the 3rd period.

10 shifts, 7:01 TOI = 1:11 PP + 5:50 ES

Pezzetta played on less shift, also had one shot and was noticeable in a good way

🤪 Message to Ylonen: "be more like Pezzetta" ?! 🤪

Ylonen had one shift on the early PP but barely got any ice time in the second and third, same as Pezzetta and Paquette. Pezzetta has the most energy of that line, but not the skills of Ylonen. Ideally they would complement each other, but Paquette doesn't really make that line stronger.

image.png

Drouin is right on a 52-point pace, averaged over 82 games.

I think we can definitively put paid to any lingering fantasy that he will ever become more than a guy who goes on little hot spells, but when all is said and done, is in and out, hot and cold, and ends up with adequate but uninspiring second-line totals. 

13 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I think we can definitively put paid to any lingering fantasy that he will ever become more than a guy who goes on little hot spells, but when all is said and done, is in and out, hot and cold, and ends up with adequate but uninspiring second-line totals. 

I think that's about right.  I expected more but doesn't look like it's going to happen. If it's going to happen it will likely be next year just before he is slated to become a UFA so he can suck someone in to a long term contract. 

2 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I think that's about right.  I expected more but doesn't look like it's going to happen. If it's going to happen it will likely be next year just before he is slated to become a UFA so he can suck someone in to a long term contract. 

And that sucker will probably be ye olde canadiens de montreal.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

And that sucker will probably be ye olde canadiens de montreal.

I guess my expectations were too high for Drouin. Drafted 3rd overall, scored 21 goals early in his career,  a lot of skill.  Sometimes the whole is less than the sum of the parts. I expected more than a 50 point guy.  A 50 point guy is fine as long as you pay him like a 50 point guy who doesn't provide a whole lot more on the ice. 

20 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I guess my expectations were too high for Drouin. Drafted 3rd overall, scored 21 goals early in his career,  a lot of skill.  Sometimes the whole is less than the sum of the parts. I expected more than a 50 point guy.  A 50 point guy is fine as long as you pay him like a 50 point guy who doesn't provide a whole lot more on the ice. 

He's a guy whose development flatlined - a bit like Andrei Kostitsyn, where he never really gets any better than in his first full season. I understand the Habs having been interested in his potential, but I noted at the time, Bergevin would never have accepted the lack of "character" from a Habs' prospect who refused to show up to play after being assigned to the minors. He probably is another player who was brought up too soon - and in his case, he refused to accept the need to marinade in the minors, so he never got the proper schooling in becoming a pro. Development matters.

3 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

He's a guy whose development flatlined - a bit like Andrei Kostitsyn, where he never really gets any better than in his first full season. I understand the Habs having been interested in his potential, but I noted at the time, Bergevin would never have accepted the lack of "character" from a Habs' prospect who refused to show up to play after being assigned to the minors. He probably is another player who was brought up too soon - and in his case, he refused to accept the need to marinade in the minors, so he never got the proper schooling in becoming a pro. Development matters.

Agree, refusing to go to the minors should have been a red flag.  It turned out fine for Tampa. 

5 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Yes, 52-point pace. However, given that our scoring overall is pathetic this year (62 goals in 28 games, or about 2.2 goals/game) I think a 60-point pace should be reasonable once he has some linemates that can find the net, too. At the moment, we have exactly one forward that has beat an opposing goaltender more than five times (six for Suzuki).

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

Yes, 52-point pace. However, given that our scoring overall is pathetic this year (62 goals in 28 games, or about 2.2 goals/game) I think a 60-point pace should be reasonable once he has some linemates that can find the net, too. At the moment, we have exactly one forward that has beat an opposing goaltender more than five times (six for Suzuki).

This is his 5th year with Montreal and he hasn't produced at a 60 point clip yet, would love to see it happen but I am a little skeptical it will happen now. The worst that can happen is he gets motivated to do it in his last year before free agency and then never again.  

On 12/10/2021 at 5:43 PM, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

This is his 5th year with Montreal and he hasn't produced at a 60 point clip yet, would love to see it happen but I am a little skeptical it will happen now. The worst that can happen is he gets motivated to do it in his last year before free agency and then never again.  

You are entirely correct on that. But the one additional factor is his long-standing struggle with mental health issues. Having resolved these may enable him to perform at a somewhat higher level. Maybe. But the current dumpster fire is not an environment where anyone will be setting career highs.