Trade Deadline and the Habs

Plutarch

18 minutes ago, hockeyrealist said:

Dvorak was not brought in to score, he’s a two way centre that wins draws.  At least that is what he was brought in for.

I believe expectations of 40 ish points as well, but not really expected to light it up.

Would we actually have been any worse if we hadn’t given up a 1st and 2nd for a guy who hasn’t even been able to be a 3rd line centre?

1 minute ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Would we actually have been any worse if we hadn’t given up a 1st and 2nd for a guy who hasn’t even been able to be a 3rd line centre?

Hindsight is 20/20.

But he does have by far the best faceoff percentage on the team this year at 58%. And while 12 points in 27 isn't super, it's good enough for fifth on the team. 40 minutes on PK and 60 minutes on PP. Which, to me, doesn't describe a fourth-line centre.

4 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Hindsight is 20/20.

But he does have by far the best faceoff percentage on the team this year at 58%. And while 12 points in 27 isn't super, it's good enough for fifth on the team. 40 minutes on PK and 60 minutes on PP. Which, to me, doesn't describe a fourth-line centre.

It was a gross overpay at the time - and I said that when the deal was made. A 1st and a 2nd is a stupid overpay for a guy who was clearly at best a 3rd line centre. 

44 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

It was a gross overpay at the time - and I said that when the deal was made. A 1st and a 2nd is a stupid overpay for a guy who was clearly at best a 3rd line centre. 

Can you imagine if that pick wasn't top 10 protected?  I shudder to think of how bad that trade could look. I also think this is a tough year to judge how good Dvorak is as nobody on the Habs is lighting it up offensively. 

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

It shouldnt have been the better 1st round pick. Even if it was top10 protected. Bergevin desperate to try and make them team a bubbleteam but injuries and not replacing Weber and Price doomed the season before it started. Better we either kept kotkaniemi or kept the picks but our then gm trying to save his job.

8 hours ago, Dalhabs said:

Bergevin desperate to try and make them team a bubbleteam but injuries and not replacing Weber and Price doomed the season before it started.

Back then, Price was still expected to return for the start of the season. Edmundson was expected to be back. Caufield was hoped to be picking up where he was in the playoffs. Weber was the big loss (which is why Bergevin picked up Savard). But, at that time, it certainly was not obvious that we'd be in 31st place in the league.

It’s amazing how many things have gone wrong this year. Price, Weber, Edmundson, Petry, KK, Caufield all being complete disasters for various reasons - and then a ridiculous number of other injuries to complement that.

The Dvorak trade was a reasonable gambit under the circumstances IMHO. And no, we should NOT have committed to paying KK (9 points in 27 games) $6 mil and being required to offer him another $6 mil qualifying offer. F**k that POS.

We won’t really know what we have in Dvorak until next season, when a new coach comes in and the team reboots. Given his age, his reasonable contract, and the fact that he is a C in an organization with dire need of them, I wouldn’t be in a hurry to deal him at the deadline. Plus his value is lower now than it’s ever been.

6 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Back then, Price was still expected to return for the start of the season. Edmundson was expected to be back. Caufield was hoped to be picking up where he was in the playoffs. Weber was the big loss (which is why Bergevin picked up Savard). But, at that time, it certainly was not obvious that we'd be in 31st place in the league.

10 hours ago, Habsfan89 said:

Here's a question if the plan is to still try and win a cup with this group of guys, with this year just being a right off year. then if we get a top 5 pick do you trade it for an elite established center or LD/RD to win now? Or do you make the pick🤔

Win a cup with this group of guys???  I think you know the answer. This  team is so far from even thinking about winning the cup. It's a rebuild, we know it, Gorton knows it. Of course you make the pick. 

9 hours ago, Dalhabs said:

It shouldnt have been the better 1st round pick. Even if it was top10 protected. Bergevin desperate to try and make them team a bubbleteam but injuries and not replacing Weber and Price doomed the season before it started. Better we either kept kotkaniemi or kept the picks but our then gm trying to save his job.

And who should MB have replaced Weber and Price with?  These guys are cornerstone, franchise players. You just don't walk in to Walmart and find a replacement sitting on the shelf. It's not easy to replace guys like that. 

12 hours ago, Habsfan89 said:

Here's a question if the plan is to still try and win a cup with this group of guys, with this year just being a right off year. then if we get a top 5 pick do you trade it for an elite established center or LD/RD to win now? Or do you make the pick🤔

whowut.gif&ehk=r3eiq5BOop14InBFnXRJiqtho  giphy.gif&ehk=wO7qtSRJYBdMO1NlSq%2BIiPQH  

Thanks .... needed a chuckle.

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

It’s amazing how many things have gone wrong this year. Price, Weber, Edmundson, Petry, KK, Caufield all being complete disasters for various reasons - and then a ridiculous number of other injuries to complement that.

The Dvorak trade was a reasonable gambit under the circumstances IMHO. And no, we should NOT have committed to paying KK (9 points in 27 games) $6 mil and being required to offer him another $6 mil qualifying offer. F**k that POS.

We won’t really know what we have in Dvorak until next season, when a new coach comes in and the team reboots. Given his age, his reasonable contract, and the fact that he is a C in an organization with dire need of them, I wouldn’t be in a hurry to deal him at the deadline. Plus his value is lower now than it’s ever been.

That why I have him in the trade only if the return is good category. But, given his age and contract as you mentioned,  and our abysmal centre depth, I would need to see an outstanding return to be happy with a Dvorak trade at the deadline. 

1 hour ago, PMAC said:

That why I have him in the trade only if the return is good category. But, given his age and contract as you mentioned,  and our abysmal centre depth, I would need to see an outstanding return to be happy with a Dvorak trade at the deadline. 

Few players with 3 more years on their contract typically get traded at the deadline ... deals for players with term would be true hockey trades that coincidentally occur around the deadline.