Game #30: Montreal at Pittsburgh - December 14, 19h Eastern DST

alfredoh2009

Will the Habs stop the losing streak? Will Gorton see them win for the first time since he joined?

image.png

Players drafted by Montreal highlighted

Montreal Canadiens

Hoffman-Suzuki-Perreault
Drouin-*Evans (game-time decision)-Armia
Lehkonen-Poehling-Caufield
Pezzetta-Paquette-Dauphin

Chiarot-Savard
Romanov-*Petry (game-time decision)
Kulak-Clague

*Wideman (back home with family)

Allen (Montembeault)

Pittsburgh Penguins

Rodrigues-Crosby-Kapanen
Zucker-Carter-Heinen
AstonReese-Blueger-McGinn
O'Connor-Boyle-Simon

Dumoulin-Letang
Pettersson-Marino
Matheson-Ruhwedel

Jarry (DeSmith)

Lineups from https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/

===============================

• alfredoh2009 changed the title to Game #30: Montreal at Pittsburgh - December 14, 19h Eastern DST
24 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

The answer is YES. The losing streak stops tonight. Habs come up with a big effort. 

I think Pittsburgh are the favorites to win. 

3 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Some good chances for the Habs so far, but nothing in the net as usual.

That Kapanen goal ... nothing Allen could have done. I only hope his cousin (Oliver) has similar skills!

I am excited by the potential of young O'Kapanen

11 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Good for Ylonen to get his first goal - nice shot and it set things up for an interesting finish.

He is so fast and seems to be very responsible backchecking 

great 3rd line RW, much better than Armia in today’s game

54 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Good for Ylonen to get his first goal - nice shot and it set things up for an interesting finish.

Or not.  That early goal pretty much ended it right then and there.  Five goal posts, that's a lot for any team and if one or two had gone in, that really could have changed the complexion of this game.

6-24, not pretty.

Oh well, onto game #31 and hoping Caufield puts a few pucks in the net. He had 3 shots today and bit overdue to score again.

Ylonen scores his 1st & 4 shots, Romanov 3shots/5 hits.

Drouin on 54.7pt pace and great to see some positives.

If I had to decide who stays with the Habs for the rebuild and who doesn't, from last game's performance:

stay: Allen, Romanov, Clague, Kulak, Suzuki, Ylonen, Caufield, Drouin, Poehling, Lehkonen,

good depth players: Dauphin, Pezzetta

trade: Petry, Chiarot, Hoffman

Not good enough for the rebuild, low trade value: Paquette, Perrault, Armia, Savard

8 hours ago, DON said:

6-24, not pretty.

Oh well, onto game #31 and hoping Caufield puts a few pucks in the net. He had 3 shots today and bit overdue to score again.

Ylonen scores his 1st & 4 shots, Romanov 3shots/5 hits.

Drouin on 54.7pt pace and great to see some positives.

Drouin is on pace to on eof his best seasons, would probably have more points if playing with better players. He is healthy, can play against any line and is a good complementary player

I hope Ylonen keeps this compete level and shows he will be part of the regular NHL 2022-2023 lineup

17 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Not good enough for the rebuild, low trade value: Paquette, Perrault, Armia, Savard

I do think Armia and Savard will have some value. Perrault and (especially) Paquette less so.

Paquette is couple months from retirement.

Not keen on seeing Toffoli, Savard, Hoffman dealt away; but, if find a good deal for picks/prospects for anyone over 24-25, make it so. 

Who will be the 1st to be sent packing? Chiarot for pick 20-32 seems most logical?

I wonder if will go with CoVid expanded rosters, that might be only place i see where Paquette might get a shot, as extra depth for a contender? 

I was not saying that Savard should be traded, only that based on this game they showed to have little trade value (they went through the motions)

Chiarot was the best Habs D and increased his trade value on this game

36 minutes ago, DON said:

Did Petry seem to play poorly to anyone else? Seemed so to me, he must have some lingering injury?

He came back too early, and was in a pissy mood after the game. calling the coach about lacking structure, not being ale to find others on the ice...

He looked lost

16 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

2 point in 26 games. 

No offence to Petry, but - while I’m sure he is correct about DD - he is the last person who should be calling anyone out.

My biggest issue with his public whining (didnt hear exactly what he said but get the jist), is that he is (i thought) a leader on this team. And his new boss just said coaches going nowhere anytime this season, so Jeff, suck it up and focus on things you can control and discuss your issues internally or get your agent to try and move you out (which not many fans will complain one bit about at the moment).

Again, I hold no brief for Ducharme, but I find myself really irritated at Petry. His complete and constant suckage has been a major contributing factor to turning what would have been a tough season, no matter what, into an abject disaster. In effect, this team has lost Weber, Edmundson, AND Petry, because the clown out there is not even 1/5 of what he was last season. When your play is a massive part of the problem, at least have the decency to shut the f**k up.

21 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Again, I hold no brief for Ducharme, but I find myself really irritated at Petry. His complete and constant suckage has been a major contributing factor to turning what would have been a tough season, no matter what, into an abject disaster. In effect, this team has lost Weber, Edmundson, AND Petry, because the clown out there is not even 1/5 of what he was last season. When your play is a massive part of the problem, at least have the decency to shut the f**k up.

I have a feeling that Petry is especially frustrated as he's trying to play through an injury knowing that the team is falling apart. 

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

I have a feeling that Petry is especially frustrated as he's trying to play through an injury knowing that the team is falling apart. 

Then I would say, get thee to the IR list. We still have six healthy D, and the season is toast anyway.

• Like 1