No Fans Again... December 16th

DON

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

My with that goal, Dauphin matches his most points in a season

has he won a longer stay with Montreal this season?

He absolutely should have a longer look.  He should have been the first one up earlier in the season but for whatever reason, the previous regime really didn't think much of him.  By no means is he a long-term piece but in a year like this, yeah, he's worth giving an extended look to.

Just now, dlbalr said:

He absolutely should have a longer look.  He should have been the first one up earlier in the season but for whatever reason, the previous regime really didn't think much of him.  By no means is he a long-term piece but in a year like this, yeah, he's worth giving an extended look to.

Yeah, this Gorton guy is a genius ! 
:rolleyes:

D'oh, as if what crap luck.  He wins the SO but gets injured on the last shot.  

Primeau could be concussed but it looks like he jarred his neck because not only was his head knocked backwards his chin also went to the left.  i.e. that action of having your chin turned like that really hurts - its very similar to an MMA/wrastling submission hold - Chicken Wing.  

In Montreal they are having games without fans like most places having more restrictions. Here in AB, Kenny has eased restrictions on the unvaccinated🙄

20 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

In Montreal they are having games without fans like most places having more restrictions. Here in AB, Kenny has eased restrictions on the unvaccinated🙄

Yup, Kenney has been the poster boy for how to handle the Covid crisis. In Kenney we trust.  LOL

11 hours ago, DON said:

25:09 for Suzuki, seems alot.

Caufield 8 shots, Chiarot 7 shots, Lehkonen 6 shots

Romanov 24:37, Ylonen 16:17:thumbs_up:, Dauphin 17:29, Caufield, 16:13, Poehling 15:02

Added some. 😉

The kids are getting more ice time. Has Ducharme been reading these forums, or did Gorton tell him to give the kids a chance to play?

21 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Added some. 😉

The kids are getting more ice time. Has Ducharme been reading these forums, or did Gorton tell him to give the kids a chance to play?

I would be very concerned if a coach made decisions based on reading fan forums. Very concerned. 

2 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

DD doesn’t get the respect he deserves.

He is managing through a crappy situation very well.

DD has been unfairly dumped on by many here. They were basically a mediocre team last year that went on a magical run. When a mediocre team loses the kind of talent and leadership they did through injury and going elsewhere than what do you expect?  DD was in a no win situation this year.  Corey Perry saw the writing on the wall and made a good decision. 

I remember Scotty Bowman supposedly told Mike Babcock, to be a good coach you must have good players (lesson he learned when he coached the Sabres i assume).

And DD does not have a competent roster to compete, for reasons outside his control.

And when your defense is providing zero offense (basically are Zero top pairing d-men on the team) & most of your top six is underachieving, not sure what any coach could do.

I dont think which mediocre d-men are/arnt paired together matters, maybe a bit but not enough to turn this ship around.  And seems like the kids are getting more icetime, so i really have no complaints about the coaching and would give them a pass for this year anyways.

1 hour ago, DON said:

I remember Scotty Bowman supposedly told Mike Babcock, to be a good coach you must have good players (lesson he learned when he coached the Sabres i assume).

And DD does not have a competent roster to compete, for reasons outside his control.

And when your defense is providing zero offense (basically are Zero top pairing d-men on the team) & most of your top six is underachieving, not sure what any coach could do.

I dont think which mediocre d-men are/arnt paired together matters, maybe a bit but not enough to turn this ship around.  And seems like the kids are getting more icetime, so i really have no complaints about the coaching and would give them a pass for this year anyways.

Sounds like the sort of wisdom that Frank Selke or Dick Irvin might have imparted when Scotty was a yout. 

25 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Sounds like the sort of wisdom that Frank Selke or Dick Irvin might have imparted when Scotty was a yout. 

He never really worked with Selke or even Irvin, though he certainly did observe Irvin thoroughly. Back then, though, he was coaching in the Habs' farm system, most often with Pollock doing the management.

One tidbit I remember from the (excellent!) Scotty book is that he learned early on that you need to adapt your coaching to the players you do have, you can't assume that every set of players can play the same way. Overall, one super impressive thing about Bowman is how well he adapted and evolved his coaching, first through the farm system, then to coaching the retreads in St Louis, and then, as the NHL game changed over the decades, in Montreal, Buffalo and Pittsburgh.

We talk about needing a modern coach, but I have absolute confidence that Bowman could do that today, too, were he still to be of coaching age. An absolute legend.

13 hours ago, tomh009 said:

We talk about needing a modern coach, but I have absolute confidence that Bowman could do that today, too, were he still to be of coaching age. An absolute legend.

Didnt the players kinda hate Bowman as a coach, or he wasnt a "players' coach at all. And a lazy player like Drouin/Hoffman might not see much ice? And modern kids might not like his old school treatment?