2022 World Juniors

DON

Not much else going on for next week or so, besides this.

The team poses with the trophy after winning gold at the 2005 World Juniors (Photo: CP)

Mysak named captain Czech and play vs Captain Guhle Dec 26. 

December 23 games

Finland U20 vs United States U20 2:00 pm - WJC Pre-Tournament - Watch on TSN5/RDS

Oliver Kapanen -

Czech Republic U20 vs Switzerland U20 7:00 pm - WJC Pre-Tournament

Jan Mysak -

Russia U20 vs Canada U20 7:00 pm - WJC Pre-Tournament -Watch on TSN5/RDS

Kaiden Guhle -

2022 IIHF WORLD JUNIOR CHAMPIONSHIP SCHEDULE

Sunday, Dec. 26

Finland vs. Germany (Edmonton), 2 p.m. ET

Russia vs. Sweden (Red Deer), 4:30 p.m. ET

Czechia vs. Canada (Edmonton), 7 p.m. ET

United States vs. Slovakia (Red Deer), 9:30 p.m. ET

Monday, Dec. 27

Austria vs. Finland (Edmonton), 2 p.m. ET

Russia vs. Switzerland (Red Deer), 4:30 p.m. ET

Germany vs. Czechia (Edmonton), 7 p.m. ET

Sweden vs. Slovakia (Red Deer), 9:30 p.m. ET

Tuesday, Dec. 28

Switzerland vs. United States (Red Deer), 4:30 p.m. ET

Austria vs. Canada (Edmonton), 7 p.m. ET

Wednesday, Dec. 29

Finland vs. Czechia (Edmonton), 2 p.m. ET

Slovakia vs. Russia (Red Deer), 4:30 p.m. ET

Canada vs. Germany (Edmonton), 7 p.m. ET

Sweden vs. United States (Red Deer), 9:30 p.m. ET

Thursday, Dec. 30

Czechia vs. Austria (Edmonton), 4:30 p.m. ET

Slovakia vs. Switzerland (Red Deer), 7 p.m. ET

Friday, Dec. 31

Germany vs. Austria (Edmonton), 2 p.m. ET

Switzerland vs. Sweden (Red Deer), 4:30 p.m. ET

Canada vs. Finland (Edmonton), 7 p.m. ET

United States vs. Russia (Red Deer), 9:30 p.m. ET

Sunday, Jan. 2

Quarterfinal 1 (Edmonton), 2:30 p.m. ET

Quarterfinal 2 (Red Deer), 5 p.m. ET

Quarterfinal 3 (Edmonton), 7:30 p.m. ET

Quarterfinal 4 (Red Deer), 10 p.m. ET

Tuesday, Jan. 4 (Edmonton)

Semifinal 1, 3 p.m. ET

Semifinal 2, 7 p.m. ET

Wednesday, Jan. 5 (Edmonton)

Third-place game, 4 p.m. ET

Championship game, 8 p.m. ET

3 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Two assists for Lambert. That kid is good, would be happy with him if we can't get Wright.

Hes struggling this year.  Hes probably fallen out of the top 15.

His skating hasn't improved since he was 16 and is getting exposed against men

Edited by Commandant

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

One guy in this tournament who i like if we dont get Wright is Logan Cooley on the US team.  2nd line C for them.

Curious for your thoughts on a guy I see ranked in the 5-15 range on various lists ... Conor Geekie ... kid doesn't turn 18 until May and is already listed as 6'4", 205 ... there are references to his skating maybe being poor ... but even if true, I wonder if a kid that big at that age might just need some time to adjust to his size.

23 minutes ago, DON said:

It seems to be one of those year's where guys slotted 2-10 is going to change a lot as every list I have looked at is different.  I believe in drafting BPA. Habs needs are Centre and RD so it appears there are a lot of guys in the top 10 who fill that requirement. I am surprised that Mathew Savoie is not top 10 as almost every other list I have looked at has him in the top 10.  Maybe there is a reason he wasn't picked for the world junior team.  Habs need another 1st rounder so they can maybe snag someone who has fallen out of favour temporarily. 

34 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

... I am surprised that Mathew Savoie is not top 10 as almost every other list I have looked at has him in the top 10.  Maybe there is a reason he wasn't picked for the world junior team ...

The list is for the Best Draft Eligible in World Juniors (i.e., the best prospects playing in the tournament),

30 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

... I believe in drafting BPA. Habs needs are Centre and RD so it appears there are a lot of guys in the top 10 who fill that requirement.

If believe BPA, you shouldnt care what Habs current needs are when picking in july. Basically two different things, as who knows what the 2024-25 roster will need.

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

Curious for your thoughts on a guy I see ranked in the 5-15 range on various lists ... Conor Geekie ... kid doesn't turn 18 until May and is already listed as 6'4", 205 ... there are references to his skating maybe being poor ... but even if true, I wonder if a kid that big at that age might just need some time to adjust to his size.

I'm gonna do a top 32 after this tournament, but he should be in the 6-10 range. 

He reminds me a lot of Eric Staal.  He's got a lot of skills but that skating is what is holding him out of the top 5

11 minutes ago, DON said:

If believe BPA, you shouldnt care what Habs current needs are when picking in july. Basically two different things, as who knows what the 2024-25 roster will need.

True, but I think you can project that in 2024-25, unless the Habs make a big trade or free agent signing or someone comes out of nowhere (possible, maybe Brooks?) that RD will likely have some big holes with Weber gone and Savard and Petry on their final legs. There will be more than 1 spot to fill for a RD.

24 minutes ago, DON said:

It's true that you can't project the roster. However, it's clear what the current prospect pipeline is, and that's what the "picking for need" is normally based on. For example, when the Habs picked Kotkaniemi, it was because their best C prospects in the system (e.g. Poehling) projected for the bottom six, and they didn't want to count on Danault and Galchenyuk for the long term strategy.

That said ... you can still use positional need inc combination with BPA as often there are multiple options at roughly the same level: in that case, you might decide pick a C over a RW, or a LD over a LW, for example. But the assumption is that you are not making a reach well down the list based on position.

Pick BPA when you are this high in the draft.  If you want to pick 2 or 3 RHD in the 2nd, 3rd, 4th round so you have a bunch of lottery tickets at a position, great.

But in the top 10-15 of the draft you have to shoot for the elite talent.  If they work out they will always be pushing a mediocre talent out of the lineup and into trade bait you can turn into a position of need.

Surely teams would have a ranking of more than 65players?

Why would you; say, take a d your scouts ranked 39th and pass on the goalie your scouts ranked 36th, because you 'want' more d-men? Habs have done tried that with d-men in 2nd/3rd round (it seemed) and dont think it paid off. 

So simply go with highest ranked kid on your own board (in first 3 rounds at least), and totally ignore position or need, shouldnt you be better off in long run?

1 minute ago, DON said:

Surely teams would have a ranking of more than 65players?

Why would you; say, take a d your scouts ranked 39th and pass on the goalie your scouts ranked 36th, because you 'want' more d-men? Habs have done tried that with d-men in 2nd/3rd round (it seemed) and dont think it paid off. 

So simply go with highest ranked kid on your own board (in first 3 rounds at least), and totally ignore position or need, shouldnt you be better off in long run?

The difference between a 36th and 39th pick (to use your example) is usually very, very small, and both will have a rather small chance of becoming NHL regulars. And you do need to have some positional balance in your prospect pipeline so that you can put a team together -- in Laval as well as in Montreal.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tomh009 said:

The difference between a 36th and 39th pick (to use your example) is usually very, very small, 

Irrelevent if early 1st or mid 2nd; if picking 6th for example like Wings and simply take a Seider, why would you pass and take your 8th ranked kid because NHL team currently needs a centre more (and no one else had the kid ranked that high aside from Yzerman & crew).

Isnt that what the scouting "staff" are for, splitting the hairs to come up consensus ranking of some sort, keep it simple. IF is flip a coin equal ranked kids (like Price/Staal) then is GMs call; but still should be best player long term for franchise (seems like Gainey made right call in 2005, i know Habs29 will point to screwing up royally by missing picking Kopitar that year:D).

Even if you are making draft picks for positional requirements, it should never be because of what the team needs today, as most picks will take years to be ready for the NHL. But you do need to manage your prospect pipeline, both at draft time and as time goes on.

Of course we never see any team's internal draft rankings so we don't know whether they are really taking BPA or not ...

• Like 1

The whole managing prospects if are CHL vs NCAA/Euro (more years till sign), should be more a consideration for all later picks...i think? 

Obviously pick for positional depth/scout favorite's (or toss dart at board) in 4th-7th round when rankings pretty meaningless.

2 hours ago, DON said:

Irrelevent if early 1st or mid 2nd; if picking 6th for example like Wings and simply take a Seider, why would you pass and take your 8th ranked kid because NHL team currently needs a centre more (and no one else had the kid ranked that high aside from Yzerman & crew).

Isnt that what the scouting "staff" are for, splitting the hairs to come up consensus ranking of some sort, keep it simple. IF is flip a coin equal ranked kids (like Price/Staal) then is GMs call; but still should be best player long term for franchise (seems like Gainey made right call in 2005, i know Habs29 will point to screwing up royally by missing picking Kopitar that year:D).

I’ve seen too many goalies picked in they first round that didn’t come close to their potential. Even with elite young goalies you never know. I know that other positional players don’t work out as well, but goalies are a tough nut to crack. I remember when the Flames moved up to take Trevor Kidd, by making a trade with NJD. Devils used the flames puck to take Martin Brodeur. I wouldn’t want to pick any goalie in the first fifteen or twenty picks. Price won a Hart, so he is obviously is a generational player, but I just don’t believe in picking a goalie that high. Plenty of elite and generational goalies have been drafted in later rounds. Can’t say the same with other positional players. You have the odd Kucherov, but ordinarily, those type of players are first rounders.