2022 World Juniors

DON

14 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

I'm not sure they'd be willing to put Xhekaj into a game.

Getting deaked out of jockstrap a couple times and run over by opponents who arnt 17 year old, might be good wake up call?

1 hour ago, DON said:

Getting deaked out of jockstrap a couple times and run over by opponents who arnt 17 year old, might be good wake up call?

That wakeup call came in the preseason when that happened a couple of times.  Now having said that, with Belpedio and Fairbrother being the ones in COVID protocol, they're down to 6 defencemen so they may need to bring a d-man up which makes the options Guhle or Xhekaj.

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

He's definitely in the mix as well if they decide they're going to pull a junior player up; he's the only other plausible recall they have beyond Mysak/Guhle out of the junior ranks.  They don't have to do that because they have options on the taxi squad and it doesn't make any sense to have them brought up to be a healthy scratch; I think they'd only do it if they planned to play that person in a game.  I'm not sure they'd be willing to put Xhekaj into a game.

It makes no sense to call up Mysak or Guhle. Either they aren’t playing and getting developing time, or they are burning a year, before we need to. We’ve made that type of mistake enough with young players.

Let them be in an environment where they actually have a chance to win. With that way DD has deployed Caufield, I don’t want him anywhere near decent prospects. Fire his ass at the end of the year and bring in a real coach, who doesn’t make the same asinine mistakes over and over with how he is deploying his players. 

10 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

It makes no sense to call up Mysak or Guhle. Either they aren’t playing and getting developing time, or they are burning a year, before we need to. We’ve made that type of mistake enough with young players ...

Unlike the NCAA players who often are enticed to sign by ensuring they will play a game and "burn" a year off their ELC, I believe that CHL players have to play 10 games in a season before it counts as a year of the ELC ... hence the 9-game "tryouts" CHL players some times get to start a season 

But in any case, I don't know that emergency call-ups impact their ELC.

29 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

It makes no sense to call up Mysak or Guhle. Either they aren’t playing and getting developing time, or they are burning a year, before we need to. We’ve made that type of mistake enough with young players.

We're talking about a short-term situation since the Habs are now literally out of defencemen to recall - they're all either up already or injured.  They have six and if someone gets hurt in warmup tonight, they're dressing 13 forwards.  Bringing Guhle or Xhekaj up (we can rule out Mysak since they still have forwards available) would basically be a one-day recall as once they're done their off week, they'll have extra players again.  (And with COVID hitting the junior leagues, they might not even miss a game.)

This scenario wouldn't affect their contracts - Xhekaj is already burning his first year and Guhle would need to play 10 games for that to happen.  At most, he'd play one.

20 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Unlike the NCAA players who often are enticed to sign by ensuring they will play a game and "burn" a year off their ELC, I believe that CHL players have to play 10 games in a season before it counts as a year of the ELC ... hence the 9-game "tryouts" CHL players some times get to start a season 

Games played under emergency recall do count towards the 10.  The 10-game rule only applies to 18/19-year-old CHL players; 20-year-olds like Xhekaj aren't subject to that provision - the year burns no matter what.

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Let them be in an environment where they actually have a chance to win. With that way DD has deployed Caufield, I don’t want him anywhere near decent prospects. Fire his ass at the end of the year and bring in a real coach, who doesn’t make the same asinine mistakes over and over with how he is deploying his players. 

Guhle should be the callup, but should be limited to a max of 9 games so we don't burn a year.  Edit and as Brian says we wouldn't burn a year in an emergency recall situation either. 

Short term we need to carry at least 7 defencemen, with how quickly players are being ruled out of games due to COVID.  If you have six and lose 2, all of the sudden you have to play a game with 4 D.  That's not good for anyone.  

This also should be short term that keeps him from sitting in the press conference and hurting development though. 

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

If they play 10 games wouldn’t it. Pint, or games they play count toward their 10 games?  
If they don’t play it’s not good for their development. If they play and the games count, you risk having them burn a year if they play the 10 games.

19 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Guhle should be the callup, but should be limited to a max of 9 games so we don't burn a year. 

Short term we need to carry at least 7 defencemen, with how quickly players are being ruled out of games due to COVID.  If you have six and lose 2, all of the sudden you have to play a game with 4 D.  That's not good for anyone. 

This also should be short term that keeps him from sitting in the press conference and hurting development though. 

I’d be okay with bringing him up, IF he is not lest sitting, AND we don’t burn a year of his ELC. But it I’d still worry bringing a young player into a team that has so much negativity around it right now.

11 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

If they play 10 games wouldn’t it. Pint, or games they play count toward their 10 games?  
If they don’t play it’s not good for their development. If they play and the games count, you risk having them burn a year if they play the 10 games.

Only games played count towards the 10, burning a year of the ELC (but 10 games alone is not a year accumulated towards UFA or arbitration, or offer sheet rights).

Games on the roster count towards 40, which means he earns UFA/arbitration/Offersheet a year earlier, but there is no chance in hell he's on the roster for 40 games. 

13 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

They're not going to play 10 games.  After Saturday, the Habs are off for a week and a half.  In that time, anyone that's in COVID protocol will have cleared, eliminating the need for Guhle or Xhekaj to be on the roster.  They need one (or both of them) available for Saturday and then they can go right back to junior.  There's no concern at all about burning the first year of Guhle's contract.  They just need a warm body for Saturday and the junior defencemen are literally the only options left.

Wow, what complete crap luck that the WJ's has been cancelled.  i.e. the Habs are having their worst year ever and will have a really high pick in a strong draft year so of course the tournament that showcases the best draftees get cancelled. 

5 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Wow, what complete crap luck that the WJ's has been cancelled.  i.e. the Habs are having their worst year ever and will have a really high pick in a strong draft year so of course the tournament that showcases the best draftees get cancelled. 

The world juniors isnt a tourney that showcases the best draftees... its an under 20 tournament.

And no team should ever base a draft pick on a two week tournament either.

These teams will have viewed the top kids dozens of times, whereever they are playing for the top 10 at least.