Logan Mailloux is back

titanfan

6 minutes ago, DON said:

Bit selfish, but, awesome to hear the kid can get back to playing.:thumbs_up:

My hope for Logan Mailloux first of all is that he can be a productive member of society and  be a positive influence on others. If he can do that then I wish him the best on the ice.  I don't really want to get into this debate again though as it can understandably be an emotional one. My last post on this subject. 

I am happy that the kid has successfully gotten to this point. He is working through his issues and that bodes well for his personal future in society.

Now, I hope he will be judged for his play on the ice going forward.

• Like 1

I don't know whether the program was specified by the OHL or whether the Habs had a hand in it, but it should be a good education and starting point. The kid will be under a microscope for the rest of his career, and he will need to stay on the straight and narrow for good.

• tomh009 changed the title to Logan Mailloux is back

Maybe I’m cynical, but I suspect that misogynistic attitudes are sufficiently widespread in hockey circles (especially at the pre-professional, amped-up adolescent level) that Mailloux may now be ahead of a non-trivial percentage of his peers. This would be based on the regimen of therapy and reflection described in the article, and on the fact that he was very publicly excoriated for what he did. Unless he is an irredeemable idiot or a hopeless pr*ck, he will have been forced into a sustained process of introspection, shame, and reflection on what kind of person he wishes to become.

My hopes are now that he continues to build on these learnings, and that the Habs have the good sense not to cut him loose because of a PR concern. He is a major prospect and we cannot afford to throw those away. A kid who has been forced to do a lot of growing up early, as a result of his own disgraceful conduct, may well evolve into a leader eventually. We need to have the vision to stick with him and keep him on the path he’s currently embarked upon.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Maybe I’m cynical, but I suspect that misogynistic attitudes are sufficiently widespread in hockey circles (especially at the pre-professional, amped-up adolescent level)

Sadly, can confirm, based on my interaction from 18u AAA hockey down to the 12u level. It’s enough to have me concerned about having my son try out at higher levels. It permeates from the top down. Behavior that should be penalized is brushed aside, and kids that get concussions are then pushed aside/cut for being weak because can’t play through it.

15 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

My hope for Logan Mailloux first of all is that he can be a productive member of society and  be a positive influence on others. If he can do that then I wish him the best on the ice.  I don't really want to get into this debate again though as it can understandably be an emotional one. My last post on this subject. 

(DELETED) The kid made a mistake, he's owned up to it. Let him grow and learn from it now. 

10 hours ago, Habsfan89 said:

(...) The kid made a mistake, he's owned up to it. Let him grow and learn from it now. 

Let's not get into this discussion again. Please. Have edited the post to avoid triggering this again.

A mistake is sleeping in and being late for practice.  The kid committed a crime of a sexual nature.

Lets not minimize that as just a mistake.

I hope he has gotten treatment and understands what he did was wrong.  Looks like some posters need the same type of education though.

30 minutes ago, Commandant said:

A mistake is sleeping in and being late for practice.  The kid committed a crime of a sexual nature.

Lets not minimize that as just a mistake.

I hope he has gotten treatment and understands what he did was wrong.  Looks like some posters need the same type of education though.

wtf?  Nobody is saying he wasn’t in the wrong, at least no posts I am seeing here.

And he went through the legal system in the jurisdiction where the crime occurred, was sentenced, served and deserves the chance to prove rehabilitation works.

He is continuing to rehabilitate and apparently the powers that be seem to think he is authentic in those efforts.

continuing to bring up his criminal past in completely contradictory to the point of modern legal systems and the idea of rehabilitation.  
I think it is shitty of you to keep bringing it up as though it’s been forgotten, you do it in every mention of this kid.  

We all know he committed a crime, as far as I am concerned he has paid a bigger price than the scum bag executives, coaches, even teammates who allowed the rapist with the Blackhawks to linger around and continue raping future kids, most of them are not held accountable at all or at least the amount the this kid has.

His generation of players are the first to potentially be a visible change that young kids can see and model after (as far as tolerance, mental health awareness goes) if he is working on his issues as is commonly stated and actually becoming a healthier person he could become a leader and role model for future generations as was mentioned above.

Craig Mactavish murdered someone and continued to be employed by the league, broadcasters.  

People sometimes get second chances and sometimes do make the best of it.   

• Upvote 2

I’m glad the victim had the courage to speak up. I’m glad she was heard. I’m glad he was caught. I’m glad he was convicted. I’m glad he has paid a price. 

sadly, coming from being a jr high and high school teacher, he is just the one that is caught. He will change (or has changed) and will be better (smarter). But he is the tip of the iceberg. There is still a generation of boys growing up that consider this kind of treatment of women to be acceptable and will just be more careful about keeping it secret. 

I don’t have a problem with anyone paying the price and then resuming life. My hope now is that Logan can be a positive influence on those around him - and not just a superficial influence where they are more careful, but a deep influence where future men think differently. 

38 minutes ago, revvvrob said:

I’m glad the victim had the courage to speak up. I’m glad she was heard. I’m glad he was caught. I’m glad he was convicted. I’m glad he has paid a price. 

sadly, coming from being a jr high and high school teacher, he is just the one that is caught. He will change (or has changed) and will be better (smarter). But he is the tip of the iceberg. There is still a generation of boys growing up that consider this kind of treatment of women to be acceptable and will just be more careful about keeping it secret. 

I don’t have a problem with anyone paying the price and then resuming life. My hope now is that Logan can be a positive influence on those around him - and not just a superficial influence where they are more careful, but a deep influence where future men think differently. 

And this has what to do with him as hockey prospect being back to playing, any comment on that, instead of going down rathole again?:wall: 

Poached from main page, Mr. La Rose:

"Mailloux Reinstated

With January 1st fast approaching, the OHL had a decision to make regarding Canadiens prospect Logan Mailloux who had been under indefinite suspension through the end of the calendar year.  The league announced that he will be reinstated as of Saturday.  As a result of some recent COVID-related postponements in that league, the 2021 first-rounder will wind up missing 26 games in total.

Mailloux has been allowed to skate with London while under suspension so it’s possible he’s able to make his season debut as soon as Saturday in Erie (COVID permitting)"

It is impossible to expect a thread on Mailloux’s reinstatement after being banned for criminal behaviour to omit all reference to that behaviour. The main thing is to avoid getting into flame wars with each other over it. 

52 minutes ago, revvvrob said:

Depressing to think this is the case, but not surprising. There was a time when I was hopeful that Millennials/Gen Z represented a major advance on everything from homophobia to racism to gender equality, but it’s probably more accurate to say that what’s really going on is a polarization between “woke” elements jostling with “incel” types and MAGA reactionaries. Meanwhile, a good chunk of amped-up jocks continue to be the same misogynistic arseholes they always were. 

I have trouble understanding why some won't allow this young man to continue with his life and career. He committed a crime and has paid a big price, deservingly. But he's admitted to what he did and from a few reports of those close to him he has evidently had a proper attitude and done everything asked of him without a "woe is me" attitude. He understands that he's not the victim here.

He was a young man, immature and clearly irresponsible at the time. But we live in a society where a person can earn the right to resume their life if they go through the required punishments, education and courses and is deemed by those overseeing the person as having done what was asked of him which evidently he has done all of those things.

If he was our son how would we feel? I think we would be feeling like can he just have a chance now to prove himself and move forward and not have a life sentence hanging over him. There is a time for someone to receive forgiveness and be able to move forward. Unless he proves otherwise by some behaviour I think people should leave the young man alone and let him show everyone what he has learned and how he has changed. For me this is one of the basic's of life in an educated and enlightened society.    

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, REV-G said:

I have trouble understanding why some won't allow this young man to continue with his life and career. He committed a crime and has paid a big price, deservingly. But he's admitted to what he did and from a few reports of those close to him he has evidently had a proper attitude and done everything asked of him without a "woe is me" attitude. He understands that he's not the victim here.

He was a young man, immature and clearly irresponsible at the time. But we live in a society where a person can earn the right to resume their life if they go through the required punishments, education and courses and is deemed by those overseeing the person as having done what was asked of him which evidently he has done all of those things.

If he was our son how would we feel? I think we would be feeling like can he just have a chance now to prove himself and move forward and not have a life sentence hanging over him. There is a time for someone to receive forgiveness and be able to move forward. Unless he proves otherwise by some behaviour I think people should leave the young man alone and let him show everyone what he has learned and how he has changed. For me this is one of the basic's of life in an educated and enlightened society.    

I think most of us agree on this. If there’s a difference, it probably rests on those who tend toward saying “he’s owned up and paid the price, let’s move on” and those who take a more skeptical view that he is on permanent probation. But either way, I haven’t heard anyone in this thread disagree that the Habs should continue to work with him and develop him as a prospect, assuming no regression to loathsome behaviour.

As I said above, he will always be under a microscope for the rest of his career.

That said, I'm supportive of rehabilitation whenever possible, and the program here appears to be a step in the right direction. More work will be needed yet, for a long time to come.

Now, I'd like to see whether he can still play hockey.

4 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

In my view, if a criminal like Carla Homolka was let to resume her life after paying for her crimes... so can Logan Mailloux 

I agree in general, but I don't think it is at reasonable to claim that she paid for her crimes.  She manipulated the system in order to escape any punishment appropriate for her crimes. 

9 hours ago, hockeyrealist said:

wtf?  Nobody is saying he wasn’t in the wrong, at least no posts I am seeing here.

And he went through the legal system in the jurisdiction where the crime occurred, was sentenced, served and deserves the chance to prove rehabilitation works.

He is continuing to rehabilitate and apparently the powers that be seem to think he is authentic in those efforts.

continuing to bring up his criminal past in completely contradictory to the point of modern legal systems and the idea of rehabilitation.  
I think it is shitty of you to keep bringing it up as though it’s been forgotten, you do it in every mention of this kid.  

We all know he committed a crime, as far as I am concerned he has paid a bigger price than the scum bag executives, coaches, even teammates who allowed the rapist with the Blackhawks to linger around and continue raping future kids, most of them are not held accountable at all or at least the amount the this kid has.

His generation of players are the first to potentially be a visible change that young kids can see and model after (as far as tolerance, mental health awareness goes) if he is working on his issues as is commonly stated and actually becoming a healthier person he could become a leader and role model for future generations as was mentioned above.

Craig Mactavish murdered someone and continued to be employed by the league, broadcasters.  

People sometimes get second chances and sometimes do make the best of it.   

I never said he doesn't deserve a second chance. 

I just said that when we describe what happened as a mistake instead of a crime, then we minimize it, which shouldn't be the message either. 

3 hours ago, Peter Puck said:

I agree in general, but I don't think it is at reasonable to claim that she paid for her crimes.  She manipulated the system in order to escape any punishment appropriate for her crimes. 

I know what I said, if a monster like her is currently living her life as a commoner... then the teenage hockey player who has not "manipulated the system" deserves his chance

I'll limit myself to judging his performance on the ice.

Am curious how he will look after long lay off from competitive hockey.

Hope his puck skills and foot speed are "adequate". 

(is overdue for Habs to hit on a good late 1st round pick, jury still out on Poehling.)