Dec. 30, Canadiens vs Kotkaniemis, 7 PM

dlbalr

Montreal.jpg

(Lines are from last game and are likely to change with 2 more COVID protocol placements today)

Drouin - Suzuki - Gallagher

Harvey-Pinard - Poehling - Caufield

Belzile - Evans - Ylonen

Pezzetta - Paquette - Vejdemo

Romanov - Savard

Kulak - Clague

Schueneman - Niku

Montembeault

Carolina.jpg

Niederreiter - Aho - Teravainen

Svechnikov - Trocheck - Necas

Kotkaniemi - Staal - Jarvis

Fast - Stepan - Lorentz

Slavin - DeAngelo

Skjei - Pesce

Cole - Bear

Andersen

9 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Do the Habs have any players that will be exiting the COVID-19 protocol in the near future?

Lehkonen is out of it today, Hoffman, Dauphin, and Toffoli will be out tomorrow (though Toffoli is out for 6 more weeks due to injury anyway).  None of those players will be available to play on Saturday though due to Canadian border crossing restrictions (which are 14 days instead of 10).

3 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Do the Habs have any players that will be exiting the COVID-19 protocol in the near future?

BAD NEWS:  Habs add two more players to the Covid list

GOOD(?) NEWS: it's Louie Belpedio and Gianni Fairbrother 

Hmm, interesting.  I'm watching the Cannes feed and the announcers said that Gally's non goal in the TB game was controversial. 

2 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Tough penalty call on Belzile leads to a PPG for Niederreiter.  They were off to a decent start before that.

It seems odd that this lineup was doing really good against the Cannes. 

Hopefully, the Habs get a PPG and get that goal back. 

It would be wild if the Habs win this game. 

D'oh!  SHG Cannes. 

29 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Drouin is a late scratch ...

In case anyone was wondering 

18 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Hmm, interesting.  I'm watching the Cannes feed and the announcers said that Gally's non goal in the TB game was controversial.

It's definitely controversial - when I saw it, my first thought was no goal but I know plenty see it otherwise.

It's hard to evaluate that period - they're trying but there's a big difference in talent out there so the second half, in particular, was a bit rough.

Some perspective on the lineup for the Habs tonight - it would be illegal for a preseason game with not enough 'veterans' in uniform.  Meanwhile, the combined cap hit is $25.4 million, about $35 million below the cap floor.

10 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Yes, well...it's tough to watch a team with so little NHL talent, especially up against a high-impact squad like Carolina. Just boring, really.

Anything but KK scoring a goal I can live with.  Maybe I shouldn't have said that.  LOL

2 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Paquette is showing why he's not a goal scorer, he has missed on a couple of good chances so far (including an empty-netter).  Hard to fault Montembeault on either of Teravainen's goals - both perfectly placed one-timers.

This might be Montembeault's best game so far, in spite of those three goals.

2 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

I think he would be more effective if we get an elite center to take the pressure off him. 

Agreed. But we don't really even have a 2C to take some of that ice time right now.

If the Habs lose tonight I figure they will have to go approximately 39 - 10 in the last 49 games to make the playoffs.  Has a Hab team ever been out of the playoff race this early?   At least it's painfully obvious to Gorton what must be done. There are really no other options. 

2 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

He is supposed to be our elite C…or at least a legit #1 guy. 

At least give him a #2. 

Well ... even Dvorak would be better than the options Ducharme had for tonight's game.

And the Habs are 24% in the faceoff circle tonight.

12 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

He is supposed to become our elite C…or at least a legit #1 guy. 

At least give him a #2. 

Made an addition above that I consider to be a very important ... this is just his third season in the NHL ... IMO expecting Suzuki would be an elite or even high-end 1C this season was being overly optimistic ... as nice as last season was for him he was 36th amongst players designated on NHL.com as centres in points per game ... 52nd in goals per game