Game #34 Habs vs Panthers 1:00 EST Jan 1 2022

DON

image.jpeg

The Florida Panthers scored nine goals on Thursday night.

The Montreal Canadiens scored none.

The Panthers have the most home wins in the NHL (16-3-0), and they are a top-four team in the league overall.

The Canadiens have the worst road record in the NHL (2-12-3), and they are last in the Eastern Conference with 18 points.

3 hours ago, DON said:

image.jpeg

The Florida Panthers scored nine goals on Thursday night.

The Montreal Canadiens scored none.

The Panthers have the most home wins in the NHL (16-3-0), and they are a top-four team in the league overall.

The Canadiens have the worst road record in the NHL (2-12-3), and they are last in the Eastern Conference with 18 points.

Are you trying to say that Florida might be the favourite in this game?

Is it just me, or is the Savard Kulak pairing one of the worst defensive duos the Habs have ever iced?

I know the team is decimated by Covid19 but these players are supported to be NHL experienced blueliners.

30 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Are you trying to say that Florida might be the favourite in this game?

Vegas does slightly favour the Panthers, yes.

I'm amazed Suzuki was able to draw that penalty. But very pleased by the Niku-Ylonen-Suzuki play to create the scoring opportunity and put the puck into the net.

Montembeault playing very well against his old team.

Another Habs breakaway (Suzuki) and a slash at the last moment causes Suzuki to flub the shot. No penalty again!? Referees are a joke in this game.

1 hour ago, habscout said:

Is it just me, or is the Savard Kulak pairing one of the worst defensive duos the Habs have ever iced?

Worst ever may be a bit of hyperbole. But they have been on the ice for all three Florida goals. Plus two minor penalties by Savard. Can't argue against those.

1 hour ago, habscout said:

They've both struggled - Savard's trying to do too much and Kulak has been caught puck watching too many times already.

17 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Worst ever may be a bit of hyperbole. But they have been on the ice for all three Florida goals. Plus two minor penalties by Savard. Can't argue against those.

Make that all four Florida goals now. 😬

For the curious, at the outset of his press availability, Ducharme clarifies that Paquette was not found to have a concussion but the hit left him with a neck issue ... I take that to mean his absence in the third was "injury" not "concussion related.

3 hours ago, habscout said:

I know the team is decimated by Covid19 but these players are supported to be NHL experienced blueliners.

They arent the worst pair.

They are playing above their heads.  You cant ask these two to be your #1 and #2 d.

They are 4/5s at best... the support guy on a second pair or the top guy on a third pair.

Put both of them on the ice against #1 lines (and together) and of course they are exposed.

Well, that's all she wrote. 5-2 against a top team, with a short bench, and even that filled mostly with AHL players. A yeoman's effort by the team, but they really ran out of steam, and the skill gap was apparent from the first.

27 minutes by Clague, 25 by Savard and Kulak, and 20 by Niku. Savard was doing all right with Romanov next to him, but with Kulak they simple don't have enough to counter a high-end attack. Clague and Niku, could they be part of our D corps for the next few years? Less solid defensively, but at least they can move the puck.

Suzuki (25 minutes!), Ylonen (15) and Drouin (23) looked good early on. Caufield had a nice break. But the workload on our remaining core forwards is ridiculous. Hopefully by the time the break is over we'll have a more reasonable roster.

Oh, and Montembeault. Five goals allowed, but it could have been much worse. At this point, I would try to keep him if we can for next year, given that we don't know what our NHL goalie situation will be -- and I think Primeau needs another year in the AHL.

15 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Oh, and Montembeault. Five goals allowed, but it could have been much worse. At this point, I would try to keep him if we can for next year, given that we don't know what our NHL goalie situation will be -- and I think Primeau needs another year in the AHL.

Depending on what happens with Price, I could see them carrying three goalies down the stretch if they have the cap space to do it.  It'll depend on when/if Price comes back and if they've started selling by then, freeing up cap space in the process.  They've played him enough now to ensure his RFA rights will be theirs (he entered the season as a Group 6 UFA candidate - the Tampa Bay game got him to the magic number) and it wouldn't be surprising if their plan is to try to sneak him through waivers next year and have him and Primeau as the tandem in Laval.