Game #34 Habs vs Panthers 1:00 EST Jan 1 2022

DON

1 hour ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

For what my opinion is worth, Caufield will always be a player who I can use in the same breath as Phill Kessel and Auston Matthews when it comes to goal scoring ability. 

Are you nuts?:rastapop:

Kessel seems reasonable for sure, who has averaged 28g/82gms over his 1154 games.

7 hours ago, DON said:

Are you nuts?:rastapop:

Kessel seems reasonable for sure, who has averaged 28g/82gms over his 1154 games.

Not that I had seen this before, but it just takes a little research. 

https://www.usahockeyntdp.com/records

Therefore, I am not nuts. I was merely making an accurate observation which one could argue will not translate at the professional level.  I happen to believe it will. 

57 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Therefore, I am not nuts. I was merely making an accurate observation which one could argue will not translate at the professional level.  I happen to believe it will. 

In the specific context of with USA Hockey Development I can understand you saying that "Caufield will always be a player who I can use in the same breath as Phil Kessel and Auston Matthews when it comes to goal scoring ability" ... but given that Caufield has yet to prove anything at the pro level it is IMO outlandish to make that claim beyond the specific context of with USA Hockey Development ... someday perhaps, but not yet.

4 hours ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Matthews scored 40g as a rookie and on a 45 goal pace his second, why would you expect Caufield to even be close to that?

I predicted 24g this year and obviously he wont even do that.

21 hours ago, GHT120 said:

In the specific context of with USA Hockey Development I can understand you saying that "Caufield will always be a player who I can use in the same breath as Phil Kessel and Auston Matthews when it comes to goal scoring ability" ... but given that Caufield has yet to prove anything at the pro level it is IMO outlandish to make that claim beyond the specific context of with USA Hockey Development ... someday perhaps, but not yet.

Cool story. The context of the discussion began as a result of a statement as to the reality that there was a lot of hype surrounding Caufield prior to him having started with the Habs. “Now fans are saying that they will be happy if he scores 25 goals as a second line winger.” My response is simply stating that I am one of the fans who hasn’t changed my stance on him simply because of his underwhelming season, which I have acknowledged myself as I watch.

I have already stated that I am personally not someone who overly hypes prospects but whether I said it explicitly or not, Caufield was someone I was excited about in a similar fashion to how I felt after drafting Subban. 

My very simple point is that my opinion has not changed on him simply because of this season. If I thought he would be able to score 30+ goals and be a first line winger on his draft day, then I would still believe that now. If some have reduced expectations, I am not one of them.

It seems needless to point out that what I was suggesting was in regards to his future in the league so there is no need to state that what I have said is “nuts” or “outlandish” because it is merely nothing more than a prediction. One that I believe in, but could obviously not develop into reality. I am still confident he will be a first line winger in the league, and will score more than 30... it could even be more.

18 hours ago, DON said:

Matthews scored 40g as a rookie and on a 45 goal pace his second, why would you expect Caufield to even be close to that?

I predicted 24g this year and obviously he wont even do that.

I understand that Matthews is a higher level player than Caufield but it will not surprise me if things get closer between them in terms of goal scoring in the future.  It’s impossible to make these predicitions without sounding out there but just wait for the season where Matthews has 36g and Caufield has 34g... I’m not stating that Caufield will turn out to be in the same ball park as Matthews overall but when it comes to goal scoring, Caufield will be in the conversation. 

In the end, time will tell. Like you said, Caufield is having an off year and 24 goals is closer to his regular outlook than 1g. I am sure there are those who disagree and I welcome their opinion. 

I just think Matthews is too darn good to be confused with Caufield, thats all and obviously we all hope Caufield fills the net for next decade scoring 30-40/yr.

2 hours ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Cool story. The context of the discussion began as a result of a statement as to the reality that there was a lot of hype surrounding Caufield prior to him having started with the Habs. “Now fans are saying that they will be happy if he scores 25 goals as a second line winger.” My response is simply stating that I am one of the fans who hasn’t changed my stance on him simply because of his underwhelming season, which I have acknowledged myself as I watch.

I have already stated that I am personally not someone who overly hypes prospects but whether I said it explicitly or not, Caufield was someone I was excited about in a similar fashion to how I felt after drafting Subban. 

My very simple point is that my opinion has not changed on him simply because of this season. If I thought he would be able to score 30+ goals and be a first line winger on his draft day, then I would still believe that now. If some have reduced expectations, I am not one of them.

It seems needless to point out that what I was suggesting was in regards to his future in the league so there is no need to state that what I have said is “nuts” or “outlandish” because it is merely nothing more than a prediction. One that I believe in, but could obviously not develop into reality. I am still confident he will be a first line winger in the league, and will score more than 30... it could even be more.

I understand that Matthews is a higher level player than Caufield but it will not surprise me if things get closer between them in terms of goal scoring in the future.  It’s impossible to make these predicitions without sounding out there but just wait for the season where Matthews has 36g and Caufield has 34g... I’m not stating that Caufield will turn out to be in the same ball park as Matthews overall but when it comes to goal scoring, Caufield will be in the conversation. 

In the end, time will tell. Like you said, Caufield is having an off year and 24 goals is closer to his regular outlook than 1g. I am sure there are those who disagree and I welcome their opinion. 

I don’t see how we can say CC is “having an off year.” That assumes some baseline against which to assess him. But this is his first NHL season. The only baseline we have is the minor leagues - which is not a particularly relevant comparator. Lots of players excel in the minors but fail to do so in the Show. All we know about CC right now is that he was a highly touted prospect who has had a very disappointing rookie year, relative to hypothetical expectations. Only time will tell if this is an “off” year or a sign that expectations were inflated.

I wonder how big a gorilla on his back is after just 1g in 26games, after being impossible for him to ignore all the Calder trophy pre-season hype?

(7th rounder 201st pick Harvey-Pinard 1g in 3 games, most pts/gm for all 2019 4th-7th round picks, of all 3 of them with NHL time :nuts:)

On 1/8/2022 at 10:31 PM, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I don’t see how we can say CC is “having an off year.” That assumes some baseline against which to assess him. But this is his first NHL season. The only baseline we have is the minor leagues - which is not a particularly relevant comparator. Lots of players excel in the minors but fail to do so in the Show. All we know about CC right now is that he was a highly touted prospect who has had a very disappointing rookie year, relative to hypothetical expectations. Only time will tell if this is an “off” year or a sign that expectations were inflated.

Yes, and once he does succeed at the NHL level, I guess it seems as though it would have been “impossible to predict”.  I know we’re all rooting for him as long as he’s wearing the blue, white and red but I look forward to it coming to fruition. This is an off season because he has only scored 1 goal. Of course he will score more this year but 1 goal in 26 games will be well off his career average. Perhaps we have a different definition of off year.

2 hours ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Yes, and once he does succeed at the NHL level, I guess it seems as though it would have been “impossible to predict”.  I know we’re all rooting for him as long as he’s wearing the blue, white and red but I look forward to it coming to fruition. This is an off season because he has only scored 1 goal. Of course he will score more this year but 1 goal in 26 games will be well off his career average. Perhaps we have a different definition of off year.

He should have been in Laval and allowed to dominate than been part of this shit show. Yes, I get that we are short bodies, but if we aren’t going to use a young player in a role they can excel and give them thr ice time they need, may as well play him in all situations in the minors. Cole Caufield is not going to impact  this team for the better or die for worse. Utilizing him the way DD has, is not going to get him out of this funk, or help his development any.

8 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

He should have been in Laval and allowed to dominate than been part of this shit show. Yes, I get that we are short bodies, but if we aren’t going to use a young player in a role they can excel and give them thr ice time they need, may as well play him in all situations in the minors. Cole Caufield is not going to impact  this team for the better or die for worse. Utilizing him the way DD has, is not going to get him out of this funk, or help his development any.

I doubt there is anyone out there who would disagree that CC should have been left in Laval to develop properly. Yes, he would have been called up as injuries decimated the roster, but there’s a big difference between positioning a young player as an AHL learner who gets call-up stints as part of his development process, and positioning him as an NHLer who gets sent down as a last resort. 

It could still work out just fine. Ray Ferraro has spoken about how he was brought up by Hartford and did nothing for, like, 40 games…and then suddenly started putting it all together. So he was able to be thrown in while under-cooked and come out the other side as a fully-realized offensive producer. Some guys comes through this unscathed. And then there’s the Galys of the world.

1 hour ago, DON said:

Didnt hear ANYONE say Caufield should start in the AHL this season (i could be mistaken but 99.9%  seemed on the Calder cake-walk bandwagon)?

I didn’t at the Beginning of the season, but I was against hailing him the first line RW against so many other proven RWs that deserved it more 

Edited by alfredoh2009
corrected "mailing" to "hailing"

1 hour ago, DON said:

Didnt hear ANYONE say Caufield should start in the AHL this season (i could be mistaken but 99.9%  seemed on the Calder cake-walk bandwagon)?

True, but once he was sent down, he should have stayed down.