Marc Bergevin hired by LA Kings as a consultant

habscout

35 minutes ago, habscout said:

Interesting. At least he's off Montreal's payroll.

He's not off the payroll unless the Kings are paying Bergevin's old salary to him.  Whatever he's getting from Los Angeles can be deducted from what the Habs owe him but they're still responsible for making him whole.

I wonder what a consultant does. Gainey has had this role for a long time, I believe. 

Is it as simple as “we’re thinking of doing X, what is your view?” What puzzles me is that, surely, managerial teams have several hockey minds doing deep-dives into things like player eval, contract management, advanced stats, etc.. I’m not sure what the point of hiring an extra consultant is. Naive of me, I suppose.

It sounds like he'll move up to assistant GM next season and at that point, he'd be next in line when Blake gets let go.  This is an opportunity to get his feet wet with the organization and with a consultant title, they'd have to pay him considerably less, meaning that Montreal is still on the hook for more of the money.

43 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I wonder what a consultant does. Gainey has had this role for a long time, I believe. 

Is it as simple as “we’re thinking of doing X, what is your view?” What puzzles me is that, surely, managerial teams have several hockey minds doing deep-dives into things like player eval, contract management, advanced stats, etc.. I’m not sure what the point of hiring an extra consultant is. Naive of me, I suppose.

Scotty Bowman has spent close to 20 years consulting for the Wings and the Black Hawks. At least in his case, he's worked more proactively, watching other teams, looking for opportunities for his employer rather than just doing something when asked. Apparently this provides enough value to get paid for 20 years of it.

That said, I have no illusions about Bergevin being at the same level.

3 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Scotty Bowman has spent close to 20 years consulting for the Wings and the Black Hawks. At least in his case, he's worked more proactively, watching other teams, looking for opportunities for his employer rather than just doing something when asked. Apparently this provides enough value to get paid for 20 years of it.

That said, I have no illusions about Bergevin being at the same level.

Comparing Bergevin to Bowman, would be like comparing Pee Wee Herman to Paul Newman.

10 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Comparing Bergevin to Bowman, would be like comparing Pee Wee Herman to Paul Newman.

I didn't compare them. CC's question was what a consultant would do for an NHL team. I used Scotty Bowman as an example.

13 hours ago, dlbalr said:

It sounds like he'll move up to assistant GM next season and at that point, he'd be next in line when Blake gets let go.  This is an opportunity to get his feet wet with the organization and with a consultant title, they'd have to pay him considerably less, meaning that Montreal is still on the hook for more of the money.

If it’s basically a way of taking MB off the market pending his proper integration into the organizational structure, then that does make sense.

And of course, any opportunity to add Scotty Bowman to your organization is one you take.

I remain a bit perplexed by the Bob Gaineys of the world, hanging around as “consultants.” It still seems to me that if your management structure is sound, you shouldn’t need to hire a “consultant” on an ongoing basis. But maybe I’m making too much of the title, and what it really is is a sort of “assistant to the assistant GM” part-time job that adds some sort of value…beats me. 

Yeah, a consultant could be almost anything, ranging from a full-time advisor to somebody that has a small monthly retainer, and whom the GM (or AGM) will call once in a while when they need some insight.