Habs claim Rem Pitlick

Dalhabs

"Taking overage center Rem Pitlick (76th) in the third round may have been too high for our taste, but the kid led the USHL in scoring and plays far bigger than his 5’9 frame would indicate."

https://www.thedraftanalyst.com/nhl-draft-2016/report-cards/

He is now listed at 5'11'' 196lb.

"One season ago, center Rem Pitlick was considered a dark horse to become a permanent fixture on the Nashville Predators roster.

Pitlick, who was once one of the organization’s top prospects, was claimed on waivers by the Minnesota Wild on Tuesday, ending his five-year run with the Predators organization."

https://www.nashvillepost.com/sports/preds/why-did-the-predators-sour-on-rem-pitlick/article_6e573c26-265a-11ec-8163-17f6991d309a.html

10 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

I've never been a big fan of Pitlick's in terms of thinking he has NHL upside but these are the types of players they should be trying to add in the hopes that one or two pan out into something.

Being at now (After this claim) 48 contracts, how many can they claim

You need a roster spot for Harris.

You may need one each for Stuble and Stapley. 

Plus any NCAA or CHL free agents that you want to sign. 

18 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Putting a few players on waivers will likely free up a few contract slots. And I'm sure that will happen yet once we are closer to full strength.

27 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Putting a few players on waivers will likely free up a few contract slots. And I'm sure that will happen yet once we are closer to full strength.

The 48 contract total doesn't change when players go down to the AHL ... if they have a NHL contract (one-way or two-way) it counts against the 50 total ... to reduce that total the waivers must be for the purposes of giving player his release.

If, for example, Chariot or Lehkonen were traded for picks/unsigned prospects that would, I believe, open up some room.

4 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

The 48 contract total doesn't change when players go down to the AHL ... if they have a NHL contract (one-way or two-way) it counts against the 50 total ... to reduce that total the waivers must be for the purposes of giving player his release.

If, for example, Chariot or Lehkonen were traded for picks/unsigned prospects that would, I believe, open up some room.

Sorry, I wasn't clear on that: we put a few players on waivers, and likely someone will claim one or two of them. Which does free up slots.

53 minutes ago, Commandant said:

They're also going to move some players for picks at some point which will free up a slot or two.  And if I'm right on Pitlick, he may be back in Nashville (who lost him originally) before too long anyway.

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

It only changes if other teams grab those players.... who is likely to be claimed on waivers?

33 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

They're also going to move some players for picks at some point which will free up a slot or two.  And if I'm right on Pitlick, he may be back in Nashville (who lost him originally) before too long anyway.

Other teams who are close to 50 may want to trade us the old contract ballast (the busted prospect in his last year) to make deals happen and stay below 50 on their end though as part of any deal. 

In a rebuild i want to leave spots open for NCAA guys both we have drafted and udfas. 

9 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

How long before the Habs grab Tyler Pitlick?  Might as well  grab the whole clan. Could have some great headlines in the future like  "Pitlicks Pound Pittsburgh",  or something like that. 

:D

26 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Other teams who are close to 50 may want to trade us the old contract ballast (the busted prospect in his last year) to make deals happen and stay below 50 on their end though as part of any deal. 

In a rebuild i want to leave spots open for NCAA guys both we have drafted and udfas. 

That will happen for some players but I still think they clear a couple of slots at least. 

52 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Some are intrigued by the 6 goals so far this season.

Its a mirage considering he has 6 goals on 13 shots. 

So if shoots 88 more times the Habs will have a 50 goal scorer?
😉
Decent AHL numbers ... 28g in 71 games ... but obviously 46% is an unsustainable shooting percentage.

On 1/12/2022 at 6:53 PM, dlbalr said:

I've never been a big fan of Pitlick's in terms of thinking he has NHL upside but these are the types of players they should be trying to add in the hopes that one or two pan out into something.

I think he could turn into a decent player that sticks around.  Theres really no downside for the Habs claiming him, only upside.  Plus, the Habs might be able to resign him cheap and have a positive value contract.  

On 1/12/2022 at 7:58 PM, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Always happy to add a man named "Pitlick" to the organization.

This will be the best chance he ever has to establish himself as an NHLer, that's for sure.

Yep, for sure.  

It seems like he was the unfortunate victim of being on 2 teams that already had strong forwards.  i.e. his other previous teams didnt need him, but that doesnt meant he isn't any good.  Apparently, the Wild waived of him because they dont need his offensive production, and he isnt a 4th liner, or even 3rd liner.  He's a top 6 forward so he didnt fit with their team needs, same with Nash too. 

ex:  he was 7th highest scorer on the Wild, and if he was still with the Preds and got the same goals he'd be 8th top scorer on their team.  He got 1 goal with the Habs and he is in a 3 way tie for 1st.  Huge difference.  

The Wild were also worried about him being arbitration eligible and what he might be awarded.  i.e. the Wild don't want $3+ million guys playing 4th line.  Imagine that.  

I wonder if either of his former teams tried to trade him?  If the Habs dont keep him they'll probably try to trade him, and possibly as a throw in for a bigger move.  

On 1/13/2022 at 3:46 PM, GHT120 said:

So if shoots 88 more times the Habs will have a 50 goal scorer?
😉
Decent AHL numbers ... 28g in 71 games ... but obviously 46% is an unsustainable shooting percentage.

His career S% is impressive and its definitely significantly above average.  He also gets close to equal amount of assists too.  Also, he got a natural hattrick in his 1st game with the Wild, and 2 of them were break aways so he could be decent on shootouts.  He also seems to get PPG so he should help their PP.    

I know he is a C but for some reason I want to see him play with Poehling and Caufield on the 3rd line.  i.e. they are similar age and maybe he could be the solution to getting them going.  

14 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

I think he could turn into a decent player that sticks around.  Theres really no downside for the Habs claiming him, only upside.  Plus, the Habs might be able to resign him cheap and have a positive value contract.  

It seems like he was the unfortunate victim of being on 2 teams that already had strong forwards.  i.e. his other previous teams didnt need him, but that doesnt meant he isn't any good.  Apparently, the Wild waived of him because they dont need his offensive production, and he isnt a 4th liner, or even 3rd liner.  He's a top 6 forward so he didnt fit with their team needs, same with Nash too.

The Wild were also worried about him being arbitration eligible and what he might be awarded.  i.e. the Wild don't want $3+ million guys playing 4th line.  Imagine that. 

Yes, the downside is minimal beyond using the contract slot.  But let's not say he was the unfortunate victim of anything here - he's a depth player that many teams in the league passed on for free a few months ago; his value was that low.  Minnesota chose to let him go and keep some not particularly good players instead which is a telling sign.  The Wild also were not worried about arbitration - he's going to be a VI UFA this summer due to a lack of NHL games.  He's off to a decent start but I don't think we're at the point yet of thinking he could be a piece beyond this season.  Let's see if he's still around a month from now.

Like I said the other day, he's been let go on waivers by two teams and all the underlying numbers say the production is unsustainable. 

Lets pump the brakes on claiming he's anything more than a place holder until we have a much bigger sample size than 3 games.

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

Yes, the downside is minimal beyond using the contract slot.  But let's not say he was the unfortunate victim of anything here - he's a depth player that many teams in the league passed on for free a few months ago; his value was that low.  Minnesota chose to let him go and keep some not particularly good players instead which is a telling sign.  

Well, from reading Wild and Preds forums they seem to say that he's a Top 6 forward, and both those teams already have better Top 6 guys.   ex:  7th & 8th top scorer on those teams, vs tied for 1st with Habs.  He was expendable because his former teams needed a crash and bang checker, which he isn't; and the Wild had 2-3 guys that are so he didnt fit in.  Plus, the Wild did get him for nothing, so.  The Preds seem to realize they screwed up waiving him.  

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

The Wild also were not worried about arbitration - he's going to be a VI UFA this summer due to a lack of NHL games.  He's off to a decent start but I don't think we're at the point yet of thinking he could be a piece beyond this season.  Let's see if he's still around a month from now.

I got the arbitration info from 2 different Wild forums and I figured they knew what they were talking about.  You're correct, its unlikely that he'll play 51 more games this year to hit 80 NHL games and it would have to be his 3rd season too.  He wont meet either criteria.    

When I checked his stats he still fairly young and doesn't have a lot of NHL experience so it seems surprising that he wasn't exempt and had to go through waivers.   

Regarding value, he doesn't have enough NHL experience for it be known how good he might turn out in the NHL.  

Is there a way of knowing if any other teams tried to get him off waivers either time?  The worst team that tries to pick up a waived player ends up with them.  I'm wondering if any other teams tried to get him?  I'm thinking other teams probably did try.  ex:  the Sens might have been interested in him.  

2 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Well, from reading Wild and Preds forums they seem to say that he's a Top 6 forward, and both those teams already have better Top 6 guys.   ex:  7th & 8th top scorer on those teams, vs tied for 1st with Habs.  He was expendable because his former teams needed a crash and bang checker, which he isn't; and the Wild had 2-3 guys that are so he didnt fit in.  Plus, the Wild did get him for nothing, so.  The Preds seem to realize they screwed up waiving him.  

I got the arbitration info from 2 different Wild forums and I figured they knew what they were talking about.  You're correct, its unlikely that he'll play 51 more games this year to hit 80 NHL games and it would have to be his 3rd season too.  He wont meet either criteria.    

When I checked his stats he still fairly young and doesn't have a lot of NHL experience so it seems surprising that he wasn't exempt and had to go through waivers.   

Regarding value, he doesn't have enough NHL experience for it be known how good he might turn out in the NHL.  

Is there a way of knowing if any other teams tried to get him off waivers either time?  The worst team that tries to pick up a waived player ends up with them.  I'm wondering if any other teams tried to get him?  I'm thinking other teams probably did try.  ex:  the Sens might have been interested in him.  

If he continues to perform this well, he may take Perreault's spot in next year's lineup. A serviceable 3rd line forward that can move up the lineup when injuries happen. I think he may be able to take some faceoffs too.

9 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Generally there isn't but sometimes it'll leak out.  I haven't seen anything for this claim but when Minnesota got him, I think they were the only team to put a claim in.  Nashville probably did this time as if they claimed him and no one else did, they'd have been able to send him down.

It’s natural to get excited when a new guy is acquired painlessly and steps in and seems to play well. But - echoing Commandant - I’ve seen this movie before and it almost never ends with the “Paul Byron” outcome, i.e., a valuable roster regular. Indeed, I’d be interested in data showing what % of the time an NHLer who is waived goes on to become an established player on his new team. 10-15% of the time, maybe? Whatever the exact figure, the odds are heavily against the kid. But I hope he beats them and does become a legit top-6 FW. That’d be great. 

One thing about having a terrible team is that it often creates openings for guys to contribute meaningfully for a while. (Think Oleg Petrov). They’re like hothouse flowers, good players who usually have some limitation to their game that means their window shuts as the team gets better. But who knows, maybe Pitlick will be able to carve out a niche as a valued #6 FW helping to keep us afloat during the “rebuild” years ahead.