GAME#37 Habs vs Arizona 4:00pm EST Jan 17 2022

DON

image.jpeg

Early game

7-29 Habs vs 8-28 Arizona...who the heck knows what kind of game this will be.

Sunday, January 16
Practice
LW C RW
68 - Mike Hoffman 14 - Nick Suzuki 17 - Josh Anderson
32 - Rem Pitlick 28 - Christian Dvorak 92 - Jonathan Drouin
62 - Artturi Lehkonen 71 - Jake Evans 40 - Joel Armia

55 - Michael Pezzetta / 45 - Laurent Dauphin

25 - Ryan Poehling

22 - Cole Caufield

13 - Cedric Paquette (No contact) 42 - Lukas Vejdemo 73 - Tyler Toffoli (No contact)

I hope Dauphin plays instead of Pezzetta, I really want to see how he does over multiple games. I was trolling @dlbalr the other day, but I know Pezzetta's NHL days are coming to an end soon. Danny Dubé (french radio play-by-play commentator) said last week that despite how well Pezz has looked in a few games, he is simply not NHL-quality. The only reason he is playing is because of injuries.

Dauphin on the other hand could play the role Paquette was brought in for.

Another note on fringe NHLers: Pitlick was picked 76th in 2016 where Adam Brooks was picked 92nd in 2016. Both are smallish AHLers that may fill-in a 3rd line spot when hot but may only be a 13th forward or a taxi squad filler. I see him loosing his spot to Byron when he returns.

59 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Another note on fringe NHLers: Pitlick was picked 76th in 2016 where Adam Brooks was picked 92nd in 2016. Both are smallish AHLers that may fill-in a 3rd line spot when hot but may only be a 13th forward or a taxi squad filler. I see him loosing his spot to Byron when he returns.

Trade deadline is only two months away. There may be more roster spots available after that.

And I should note that Pitlick weighs about 20 lbs more than Brooks. He may be only 5'11 but he is solidly built -- similar to Suzuki.

• Upvote 1

I like the Lehkonen-Evans-Armia line, I hope to see them together for a few games:

And Pezz is moving closer to Laval. Belzile was put on waivers today

33 minutes ago, Commandant said:

where players were picked in 2016 is kind of irrelevant in 2022.

What they do on the team now matters. 

it's my best guess at what scouts thought at the time of a player vs another. I do not know either of them and I was trying to see how they may have been evaluated at the time. 2016 was the year of the smallish players ,.. Habs picked Bitten 70th, Mete at 100th, Debrincat was 39th on one of the picks Habs traded to Hawks

1 minute ago, alfredoh2009 said:

it's my best guess at what scouts thought at the time of a player vs another. I do not know either of them and I was trying to see how they may have been evaluated at the time. 2016 was the year of the smallish players ,.. Habs picked Bitten 70th, Mete at 100th, Debrincat was 39th on one of the picks Habs traded to Hawks

I get that

I'm just saying what scouts thought in 2016 really does nothing to tell us what to think of players today.  Its so far in the rearview that newer data has pushed it out and is irrelevant to scouting them now. 

11 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I get that

I'm just saying what scouts thought in 2016 really does nothing to tell us what to think of players today.  Its so far in the rearview that newer data has pushed it out and is irrelevant to scouting them now. 

ok, I'll say it this way: Rem is a better waiver pickup than Adam.

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

And I should note that Pitlick weighs about 20 lbs more than Brooks.

Why note this?

Pitlick is blond, has as much relevance as weight, unless doing a tug-of-war i suppose.

Well ... I suppose this start is good for our lottery odds, but not much else. The Coyotes are outskating us and Primeau didn't look particularly sharp on those goals -- too long since he last started a game?

Others say not before Wednesday at the earliest ... it would at least make things interesting if the game slips away.

Good for Rem ... nice interception and feed by Drouin ... nice shot by Pitlick ... 

7 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Good for Rem ... nice interception and feed by Drouin ... nice shot by Pitlick ... 

He can shoot ... 46 goals in 56 games in the USHL. Not quite the same pace since then, but I think he has a very serviceable shot. And he has decent speed, too.

2 hours ago, tomh009 said:

And I should note that Pitlick weighs about 20 lbs more than Brooks. He may be only 5'11 but he is solidly built -- similar to Suzuki.

From the stats I've seen Pitlick is 1" taller than Brooks but he's 10lbs heavier.  The average size is 6' 200 lbs, so Pitlick is 1" and about 5lbs under average size.  Therefore, I tend to agree with @alfredoh2009 that he is sort of on the smallish side.  However, so is Byron, who was picked up off waivers and turned out to be a great free long term pickup.  I'm thinking Pitlick might turn out having a similar impact and staying power as Byron.  After all, he does have 7 goals this season.  How many other Habs 7 goals?  

3 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

From the stats I've seen Pitlick is 1" taller than Brooks but he's 10lbs heavier.  The average size is 6' 200 lbs, so Pitlick is 1" and about 5lbs under average size.  Therefore, I tend to agree with @alfredoh2009 that he is sort of on the smallish side.  However, so is Byron, who was picked up off waivers and turned out to be a great free long term pickup.  I'm thinking Pitlick might turn out having a similar impact and staying power as Byron.  After all, he does have 7 goals this season.  How many other Habs 7 goals?  

Not certain that Pitlick has the all-round game and leadership that has contributed to giving Byron staying power.

2 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Not certain that Pitlick has the all-round game and leadership that has contributed to giving Byron staying power.

That is true that Byron plays a all round game, but he is unarguably small.  He's 3" and 30 lbs under average size.  i.e. Byron needs to play a full rounded game or he wouldn't be in the NHL.  

Pitlick is in a 3 way tie for Habs top scorer.  Suzuki and Anderson also have 7 goals.  Thats pretty good for a player picked up off waivers.  

30 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

He has 7 goals on 15 shots....  in other words... not sustainable. 

8 minutes ago, Commandant said:

He has 7 goals on 15 shots....  in other words... not sustainable. 

That stat is really skewed by his three goals on three shots against Seattle. Take that out, and it's four goals on 12 shots. Still high but not as outrageous. He needs to shoot way more to maintain this level of scoring.

But I do stand by my earlier comment: he has a nice shot.

1 minute ago, tomh009 said:

That stat is really skewed by his three goals on three shots against Seattle. Take that out, and it's four goals on 12 shots. Still high but not as outrageous. He needs to shoot way more to maintain this level of scoring.

But I do stand by my earlier comment: he has a nice shot.

When someone says... his 7 goals are tied for the team lead... the 3 goals on 3 shots counts. 

4 out of 12 is still 33.33% which is still insanely high too. 

He can have a nice shot... but in order to score goals consistently in the NHL he's going to need to find a way to get off lots more shots, that's the issue. Its not the shot itself, its can he create more offence by getting a higher volume of shots, or else he can't be a consistent scorer.