Kent Hughes ... << 18e directeur général de l'histoire des Canadiens >>

GHT120

Kent Hughes will address the media on Wednesday, accompanied by owner, president and CEO, Geoff Molson, as well as the Club's executive vice-president, Jeff Gorton.

• GHT120 changed the title to Kent Hughes ... << 18e directeur général de l'histoire des Canadiens >>

Not surprised at all. Gorton is tight with Hughes; this was always the likeliest outcome. 

I saw Mike Gillis, former agent, do excellent work in Van until the aftermath of the 2011 run got him off track, so I have no problem at all with an agent as GM. And we should remember that Gorton is probably the de facto GM anyway. 

Once the shortlist was announced, I saw it was not going to be the non-traditional choice (e.g., a Euro GM, or a woman) I’d vaguely been pulling for, so any disappointment in that was settled a few days ago for me.

So, good news. I’m just happy the decision is made and now actual hockey decisions can actually start getting made. 

• Like 1

Will be interesting to see him/them fill out the team ... especially in scouting and player development ... although anyone employed by an NHL team is unlikely to be released until after the draft.

My favourite of the top candidates. Now let's stock up on 1st round picks for 2023.  We've endured the pain and have a good shot at Shane. Time to suck hard for Bedard. He is generational. 

I really want a full sell-off and 1 more year of being near the bottom. If we do get Wright, keep him in juniors another year. We have a chance to build a real contender for years to come if we managed back to back first overalls. 

Congratulations to Ken Hughes!

I hope that they beef-up the amateur scouting team before the draft. It has been average during Trevor's term.

I am confident that with a new and improved analytics focus, the professional scouting will do well.

Finally, it will be interesting to see how they approach the trade deadline. They have about a month before it and to me it will be most interesting to see what they value, what they can do without and how they structure the salary structure of the team in the short term.

37 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Finally, it will be interesting to see how they approach the trade deadline. They have about a month before it and to me it will be most interesting to see what they value, what they can do without and how they structure the salary structure of the team in the short term.

Two months and three days! It's on 21 March this year. 🙂

If they do a significant selloff, I don't foresee cap problems for the next few years.

1 minute ago, tomh009 said:

Two months and three days! It's on 21 March this year. 🙂

If they do a significant selloff, I don't foresee cap problems for the next few years.

Wow, that is great that they have extra time.

I am not concerned about cap problems, I am interested in salary in the structure of the club. I liked how MB managed the cap going into the Stanley cup-run season until it caved in with the Weber/Price/Kotkaniemi/Edmundson four-headed monster did him in.

Fun times ahead for me in watching this unfold

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I saw Mike Gillis, former agent, do excellent work in Van until the aftermath of the 2011 run got him off track, so I have no problem at all with an agent as GM. And we should remember that Gorton is probably the de facto GM anyway. 

Bill Zito - Florida's current GM - was also an agent and he has done some good things with them so far.

4 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Bill Zito - Florida's current GM - was also an agent and he has done some good things with them so far.

Lacroix was decent in Colorado, too.

I don't mind the hiring. Other than irrationally being pleased it wasn't Darche or Briere, because of my own personal desire not to have a GM with ties to the team as a former player. It wouldn't have felt like a fresh start to me, just more of the same. i figured Castonguay was a darkhorse, and that the Habs probably filled their internal "diversity" quota when they hired Machabee.

32 minutes ago, huzer said:

I don't mind the hiring. Other than irrationally being pleased it wasn't Darche or Briere, because of my own personal desire not to have a GM with ties to the team as a former player. It wouldn't have felt like a fresh start to me, just more of the same.

And yet he is a Montreal native, coming back after much experience elsewhere. This feels good. How it works out in the long term remains to be seen, but I'm happy for the time being, at least.

Now, Gorton and Hughes better get busy working on that rebuild plan!

• Upvote 2

I agree with others' sentiments that he's probably a more qualified candidate than an ex-player.  I hear he has connections to the school where Harris and Struble play, hopefully he can get them signed.  Still seems like a kind of ceremonial post with Gorton calling the shots - I'm surprised that someone with a more francophone name wasn't chosen.  

Just a couple things to say about the hiring of Kent Hughes:

1) Glad the hiring process is over and they can concentrate on the rebuild

2) I wish Kent Hughes the best of luck and hope he does a fantastic job.  Obviously Jeff Gorton thought he was the best candidate and that's what counts. 

1 hour ago, Habsfan89 said:

Wonder if he will get the same kind of passes from the media and fans for 9 years like Bergevin did 🤔

I didn't see that. I saw a lot of criticism of Bergevin from fans (a lot on this forum)  and in the media, some justified and some was not.  When you are under the microscope in a hockey market like Montreal you will get criticized unless you win a lot of cups.  And even then.....

1 hour ago, Neech said:

I agree with others' sentiments that he's probably a more qualified candidate than an ex-player.  I hear he has connections to the school where Harris and Struble play, hopefully he can get them signed.  Still seems like a kind of ceremonial post with Gorton calling the shots - I'm surprised that someone with a more francophone name wasn't chosen.  

Whether someone is an agent or ex player doesn't make them a good or bad candidate. It depends on the individual involved and their skills/abilities.  Hughes speaks French and grew up in Montreal, that should be plenty good enough for the French media although I suspect some of those were hoping for Saint Patrick. 

How is the French media taking this decision, anyway? It's a nice test of whether the requirement (in their minds) is that the GM be French-speaking, OR that he actually be a quebecois de souche - which is an even dumber requirement than the language one.

56 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

How is the French media taking this decision, anyway? It's a nice test of whether the requirement (in their minds) is that the GM be French-speaking, OR that he actually be a quebecois de souche - which is an even dumber requirement than the language one.

From my ivory tower in Ottawa: 

The “souveranistes” are making noise as usual ; but they are so few of them left that it is just noise 

2 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Whether someone is an agent or ex player doesn't make them a good or bad candidate. It depends on the individual involved and their skills/abilities.  Hughes speaks French and grew up in Montreal, that should be plenty good enough for the French media although I suspect some of those were hoping for Saint Patrick. 

Someone who's been an agent for the past two decades has more relevant experience for management than someone who's spent that time being a player.  

47 minutes ago, Neech said:

Someone who's been an agent for the past two decades has more relevant experience for management than someone who's spent that time being a player.  

I would agree if their only experience was being an ex-player.  Just being an ex player doesn't make someone  a good candidate, it's what they did on top of that. 

One of the indications of the organization as a whole is doing things differently is that alumni were invited to attend.

His French is VERY, VERY good ... he is truly bilingual ... he didn't lose it living in Boston.