What would you do if you were the GM?

REV-G

6 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I share your optimism. Everything Hughes has done so far leads me to believe they have the right team in place. I am excited to see what tomorrow brings. 

I share optimism on the rebuild too, but its mostly because of the talent pool we are already set to have in place.

Suzuki Caufield and presumably Wright are extremely solid as a core up front for the next decade+

Then our defence (specifically left) has a ton in the cupboards too. Romanov, Guhle, Barron, and Harris all looking like they can be top 4 (or for Harris maybe an excellent bottom pair.)

if MTL were to pull off a trade for say OTT at 7, it might be specifically if a guy like Jiricek falls to 7 to shore up that rd

7 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I think calling the habs a bubble team right now is disrespectful to bubble teams. We are a bad team.

Dont get carried away with too much positivity there sir.:P

7 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I think calling the habs a bubble team right now is disrespectful to bubble teams. We are a bad team.

we were a bubble team in previous years and it wasn’t always due to injuries. It was because we had a lack of talent and zero depth. The rangers didn’t fild when Lundquist went down in 2014-2015. Talbot came in and got them into the playoffs. The team had enough depth. When price went down the following year in 2915-2016 the habs folded like a cheap tent. MB didn’t try to get an NHL level goalie.  When the pens lost Crosby, Malkin, Letang, stall, or when Fleury wasn’t perfuming over the years, there was a bough talent and other guys stepped up. Hell, the pens win their first cup with Crosby knocked out of the finals. No way do we have close to that kind of talented depth.

For most of the Bergevin years we were a bubble team. In between being mainly a bubble team, we had a few yo-yo seasons of being bad/horrible, to decent/good. But under most of MB’s tenure we were a bubble team that did not have enough talent to ever expected to contend - let alone be a perennial contender. Ditto with the Gainey years. The Houle years were even worse. We have been the definition of a bubble team for almost 30 years now. We had some decent to good seasons sprinkled in with some horrid seasons. But for the most part we have been a bubble team. That’s not disrespectful, that is just the way it is.

You maybe okay with continuing with that path of scrapping into the playoffs and then feeling anything can happen, im not. Im sick of it. For the first time since the early 90’s I actually have some optimism that we have a management team can start acquiring and developing a talented team. That may require another year of losing then wasting cap space on more garbage players like Hoffman, Savard, or giving up a 1st and 2nd pick for a mediocre third line centre. I’m okay with that. I’m done with the idiotic crap player drafting and development approach, where winning depends solely on having a Price, Halak, or Theadore be the primary reason for our success.  

it’s been a long time since the habs had a steady stream of talented players come into the lineup even after winning a cups (Lafleur, Robinson, Shutt), all joined cup winning teams, and were major pieces to the 70’s dynasties. In the. 80’s we had Chelios, Roy, Lemieux, Richer, Schneider, all drafted and developed. 

With the just scrape in and anything can happen approach, Bergevin had 3 top 10 picks (two top 3), and we don’t have a single one of those players on our team today. That is the sign of a badly managed team.

I’m hoping tomorrow we start back on the path of good drafting and development. But we need at least another year of trying to accumulate ELITE level talent, and I’m optimistic we have a management team that can get it done. This summer and the next two years is going to be the biggest test to see if we have a management team that can build a sustainable contending team, and get us out of being a perennial bubble team.

As a fan, what you present here is the best laid out plan we all expect- based on what has been shared of the Hugh-Gort-plan

Let’s hope our combined scrutiny of their moves has gotten it right and that the Habs-cup25 team will deliver

11 hours ago, TheDriveFor25 said:

I like Slavkovsky a ton… but my guess is Habs take Wright and trade for Puljujarvi out of Edmonton.

Puljujarvi is reported to be cheap, about a 2nd/3rd round pick. 

17 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

Puljujarvi is reported to be cheap, about a 2nd/3rd round pick. 

Yeah I could see the late 2nd plus a player getting it done.. 

12 minutes ago, TheDriveFor25 said:

Yeah I could see the late 2nd plus a player getting it done.. 

Actually the report is a late 2nd or a 3rd round.  No player as a sweetener required.

43 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

There are clearly moves still to come. 

Considering last night’s moves I think we are in for a wild summer. 

Who is next? Hoffman? Gallagher? Armia? 

If we agree that Gallagher is untradeable and if we disregard salary. I see it more this way:

Salfkovsky- Suzuki-Caufield

Drouin-Dvorak-Dach(*taking strong-side faceoffs)

Dadonov-Evans-Gallagher

Byron-Poehling-Ylonen

Pezzetta/Pitlick

to be traded: Anderson, Hoffman

26 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

If we agree that Gallagher is untradeable and if we disregard salary. I see it more this way:

Salfkovsky- Suzuki-Caufield

Drouin-Dvorak-Dach(*taking strong-side faceoffs)

Dadonov-Evans-Gallagher

Byron-Poehling-Ylonen

Pezzetta/Pitlick

to be traded: Anderson, Hoffman

I think they are actively shopping Hoffman and Gallagher but both are about creating cap space and not about a big return. 

Not sure either are easily traded. 

I do think HuGo are looking for a home run in an Anderson trade and they may get it. 

1 minute ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I think they are actively shopping Hoffman and Gallagher but both are about creating cap space and not about a big return. 

Not sure either are easily traded. 

I do think HuGo are looking for a home run in an Anderson trade and they may get it. 

I love baseball, and when I see a batter "swinging for the fences" I know he is more likely to strike out than not.

I would love it more if Hugh-Gort woud just connect/make contact and put the trade in play with Anderson. His trade value is high, cap space is needed, and Habs needs another 1st round pick next year.

2 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I love baseball, and when I see a batter "swinging for the fences" I know he is more likely to strike out than not.

I would love it more if Hugh-Gort woud just connect/make contact and put the trade in play with Anderson. His trade value is high, cap space is needed, and Habs needs another 1st round pick next year.

Agree on Anderson. 

Hopefully we get a Florida collapse this season as well. We could use a couple of top ten picks next draft 

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

There are clearly moves still to come. 

Considering last night’s moves I think we are in for a wild summer. 

Who is next? Hoffman? Gallagher? Armia? 

Ylonen to the minors, Pitlick is a serious non-tender candidate with the arbitration factor, Byron starts on IR.  That brings it down to 14 with no cuts necessary.  And while that tweet has Slafkovsky on the front line right away, that's clearly not going to happen; players don't go straight from the third line in the SM-liiga to the top line on the NHL.  They have to make a move for cap reasons but if they make one cap-cutting move, that's all they really have to do.

Have to think Slaf starts in AHL, at least for a little bit. I think there will be more trades/signings to come but for now I see it:

Dadonov - Suzuki - Caufield 

Maximize Ds value before he is dealt at the deadline

Drouin - Dach - Anderson

Mayne Drouin gets moved 

Hoffman - Dvorak - Gallagher

Does anybody bite on Hoff or Gally?

Poehling - Evans - Armia

2 minutes ago, TheDriveFor25 said:

Have to think Slaf starts in AHL, at least for a little bit. I think there will be more trades/signings to come but for now I see it:

Dadonov - Suzuki - Caufield 

Maximize Ds value before he is dealt at the deadline

Drouin - Dach - Anderson

Mayne Drouin gets moved 

Hoffman - Dvorak - Gallagher

Does anybody bite on Hoff or Gally?

Poehling - Evans - Armia

looks good, I agree with most of it.

I would try Dach on RW before moving Poehling to LW (better FO%) but either choice is fine

1 minute ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I would try Dach on RW before moving Poehling to LW (better FO%) but either choice is fine

They didn't trade Romanov for Dach to turn around and make Dach a winger. 

31 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Yeah. If they did I’ll be pretty pissed.

let’s hope Dach does realize his #3

pick potential.

time to make some deals to build the D.

44 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

... I would try Dach on RW before moving Poehling to LW (better FO%) but either choice is fine

42 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Also ... I've never understood why faceoffs HAVE TO BE taken by the centre.

Just looking at your updated depth chart this morning over coffee https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/pages/montreal-canadiens-organizational-depth-chart

The logjam at RW is absolutely crazy. We have no fewer than 5 legitimate NHL RW, and that doesn’t count Ylonen knocking on the door. Pretty much every other aspect of the roster stinks.

So the one thing we can safely predict is that we will be dealing away a RW - probably before the season starts. There is no point in carrying around that much surplus at one position. 

25 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Just looking at your updated depth chart this morning over coffee https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/pages/montreal-canadiens-organizational-depth-chart

The logjam at RW is absolutely crazy. We have no fewer than 5 legitimate NHL RW, and that doesn’t count Ylonen knocking on the door. Pretty much every other aspect of the roster stinks.

So the one thing we can safely predict is that we will be dealing away a RW - probably before the season starts. There is no point in carrying around that much surplus at one position. 

Yeah, and the issue is that a few of them are either expensive, old, or both - making them untradable. Ideally we move at least Gallagher or Armia, but that’s easier said than done. To bad we can’t just shift a few over to Right D which is crap and will be crappier if and when Petry is moved.😳

29 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Ylonen, caufield and a few others can also play LW.

13 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Ylonen, caufield and a few others can also play LW.

Well, one player I would not mess with at all is Caufield. Leave him alone to build on the second half of last season. The rest, though, sure, we could tinker with positionally. Whatever works.

16 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Well, one player I would not mess with at all is Caufield. Leave him alone to build on the second half of last season. The rest, though, sure, we could tinker with positionally. Whatever works.

I expect Caufield to improve. I think I can agree with”not messing” with him as I’m not hampering his development.

But I also want some coaching where he is challenged and asked to perform in situation he needs to become comfortable in for the sake of winning 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

He played LW at times during the second half of last season.  The line was Caufield - Suzuki - Anderson at times.