Jan. 22, Canadiens vs Avalanche, 7 PM

dlbalr

31 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Toffoli-Suzuki-Lehkonen perchance? Apart from the goal, the three of them have had seven shots and four high-danger chances.

NO, i think me, you or anyone (even Crankshaft would get some points) would do fine on their line.

55 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

That Lehkonen goal certainly makes the third period a bit more interesting.  Wasn't much of a shot but a goal's a goal.

I think a certain Mr Gallagher would have been quite approving of that one. 😂

5 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

Wow you can really see how out skilled we are on 3 on 3 may god did we even touch the puck in OT 

We did have the puck at first ... the Toffoli shot was weak, though, should have passed the puck back instead. Ah well, we didn't really want two points, did we?

Hmm, 3 straight games where the Habs kept the opposition to under 4 goals, allowed over 40 shots/game, and managed to get 4 out of 6 pts.  It seems like they are improving.  

KP looked good in this game.  

56 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

We did have the puck at first ... the Toffoli shot was weak, though, should have passed the puck back instead. Ah well, we didn't really want two points, did we?

F-@#! yeah, I want two wins in a row.

enough is enough!

58 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

JP?

Hmm, I thought its spelled with a K, as did others:

2 hours ago, Habsfan89 said:

KP is having himself a hell of a game. 

Apparently its Cayden.  

@alfredoh2009, not sure why you said JP, it definitely isn't Jayden.  

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

F-@#! yeah, I want two wins in a row.

enough is enough!

Well, its a least a streak.  :1banana:

20 minutes ago, huzer said:

Far more entertaining game than I expected. Chris Wideman came over during warmups and gave my son a puck, so that was cool.

Wow, congrats, thats awesome.  

Hopefully that will inspire him and he'll become an NHLer.  It's wild how many pics and videos there are of NHL players being given pucks etc at games when they were kids.  

• Upvote 1

Watched some of this one…not all. I was amused during the 1st when the commentators were saying how the Habs were playing pretty well; meanwhile they were being outshot 23-11. But to their credit, they did not fold, and from what I watched the remainder of the game they were competitive despite the talent mismatch (as the score also suggests).

What’s interesting is that the hiring of Hughes seems to have boosted team morale. But also interesting is that this coincides with a run of some pretty great goaltending from Montembault and now Primeau. The Habs have had decent goaltending all year, but not reliably the kind of netminding that offers an advantage - e.g., that sees you getting massively outshot and only down by a goal, or coming out ahead. Suddenly they’re getting it. It’s not sustainable, surely, but if the entire team can draw confidence from these games, that may help to ensure at least spirited efforts going forward.

44 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Watched some of this one…not all. I was amused during the 1st when the commentators were saying how the Habs were playing pretty well; meanwhile they were being outshot 23-11. But to their credit, they did not fold, and from what I watched the remainder of the game they were competitive despite the talent mismatch (as the score also suggests).

Yeah, this is a huge difference to the early-season games, when a single opposing goal would demoralize the team and they would just fall apart. In spite of the team being (still) at the bottom of the league standings, the players haven't given up. Extra effort to demonstrate value to the new management, or just a bit of pride and drive to be competitive? Either way, it works for me.

I quite like the Toffoli-Suzuki-Lehkonen line. Lehkonen is clearly not a scorer, but he drives for the net, creates opportunities and provides defensive responsibility to complement the other two. In spite of playing mostly against the Avs' top line (Landeskog-McKinnon-Rantanen) they were 4-0 on high-danger chances and over 80% xGF.

I like the way the team is working hard and not giving up. Who would have thought they would have won in Dallas and took Vegas and Colorado to OT on the road with this lineup.  I still don't want them to move up the standings too much but I want to see them battle every night and be pros which is what they are doing now.  I think Ducharme has to be given some credit for the way this team is competing. 

Has a Habs team ever gone 1/2 season without winning 2 in a row? 

I dont see a team that is competing though.

I see a team that is giving up 50 shots a night and their goalies have had an unsustainable three game run of incredible play.

Lets not confuse getting good results with playing well.

I see a team that has been re-energized by the better performance of their goalies. It also shows they have not given up on Ducharme

if I remember correctly, it started after they were embarrassed in Arizona and DD came back with the “balanced” lines

they are not playing well but they are certainly competing 

One game of 50 shots and then playing better is re energized.

Three straight games of this?  Im not seeing the energy.

You can say its lack of talent but lack of talent should show up at the offensive end.  Defensive hockey can be done by NHL players with effort and a system.

25 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I dont see a team that is competing though.

I see a team that is giving up 50 shots a night and their goalies have had an unsustainable three game run of incredible play.

Lets not confuse getting good results with playing well.

When I use the word "competing" I am thinking of a team that is working hard on every shift and not giving up.  I think that's all we can expect right now.

Obviously with the lineup they had last night it's almost impossible to be "competitive" with a talented team like Colorado. You need good goaltending to stay in the game because Colorado had a way more talented lineup last night. 

I just don't think you can expect any more than Montreal has given the last week with the lineup they have. 

4 minutes ago, Commandant said:

One game of 50 shots and then playing better is re energized.

Three straight games of this?  Im not seeing the energy.

The more talented team is usually going to generate more shots and Colorado right now is way more talented than Montreal.  After the first period the shots were almost even. If you didn't see any energy in Montreal's game last night then I guess we saw different things.  Montreal outhit Colorado 32-24 last night, to me that's a sign of a team that is playing with energy and competing. 

2 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

The more talented team is usually going to generate more shots and Colorado right now is way more talented than Montreal.  After the first period the shots were almost even. If you didn't see any energy in Montreal's game last night then I guess we saw different things.  Montreal outhit Colorado 32-24 last night, to me that's a sign of a team that is playing with energy and competing. 

More shots? Ok

But how many NHL teams have given up 45 plus in three straight games this season?

How many times has colorado gotten 45 plus in a game?

This is bad defensive hockey, dont care who the oppostion is.

As for outhitting... of course... thats cause the Habs never had the puck.