Jan. 22, Canadiens vs Avalanche, 7 PM

dlbalr

12 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

When I use the word "competing" I am thinking of a team that is working hard on every shift and not giving up.  I think that's all we can expect right now.

Obviously with the lineup they had last night it's almost impossible to be "competitive" with a talented team like Colorado. You need good goaltending to stay in the game because Colorado had a way more talented lineup last night. 

I just don't think you can expect any more than Montreal has given the last week with the lineup they have. 

I dont expect them to play even with colorado.  Giving up 45+ in three straight games (and 50+ in two of them) just tells me that without a short run of unsustainable goaltending, these would be 3 blowout losses.

Just now, alfredoh2009 said:

they are not playing to preserve a lead or affraid of taking chances, they are just plsying the system and living with the mistakes (ton of shots)

Giving up tons of shots is not a good system.  Lots of mistakes is not good hockey.

This team is still playing like shit, the goalies just covered it up this week 

Savard, Petry, Clague, W-I-D-E-M-A-N played like shit. Some like Poehling missed assignments in the D zone

but in general the team has shown s decent compete level for what was expected

2 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Giving up tons of shots is not a good system.  Lots of mistakes is not good hockey.

This team is still playing like shit, the goalies just covered it up this week 

Montreal has had so many players in and out of the lineup that getting everyone on the same page is difficult. If they were playing like "shit" they would have been blown out last night. It's pretty hard for guys like Dauphin and Pezetta to keep up with the likes if Mickinnon, Raantanen etc, so Colorado is going to get some shots. 

Primeau played well and had a lot of shots but he didn't have to make a lot of spectacular saves last night, they did a good job clearing rebounds.  Half the shots were in the 1st period. 

Right now I am looking for effort and the effort is there. I think your expectations are a little too high with this lineup. 

21 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Montreal has had so many players in and out of the lineup that getting everyone on the same page is difficult. If they were playing like "shit" they would have been blown out last night. It's pretty hard for guys like Dauphin and Pezetta to keep up with the likes if Mickinnon, Raantanen etc, so Colorado is going to get some shots. 

Primeau played well and had a lot of shots but he didn't have to make a lot of spectacular saves last night, they did a good job clearing rebounds.  Half the shots were in the 1st period. 

Right now I am looking for effort and the effort is there. I think your expectations are a little too high with this lineup. 

They would have been blown out if not for one player (primeau) having the best game of his career so far.

I also think its a low bar to ask

.. dont give up 45+ shots a night every game, regardless of the lineup.

Anyways, love that Poehling looks much more comfortable out there, got some more PP time and 'seems' much quicker, than used to be. 

Just 2 of 8 on faceoff, so obviously needs work there, but age and experience should take of that bit.

(209faceoffs: 95-114 45.5% not horrible)

Coming from someone who still watches every game, I agree that the team is playing with a higher intensity. The games have been more entertaining as of late as well. Better or worse? It is up for debate but the results speak for themselves and we are obtaining points unlike earlier in the season. 

4 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Clague wasn't in the lineup last night, Kulak was back in for him.

I know, but Commandant was talking about the last two games and I responded to that.

thanks for checking though, always appreciate the feedback

6 hours ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Coming from someone who still watches every game, I agree that the team is playing with a higher intensity. The games have been more entertaining as of late as well. Better or worse? It is up for debate but the results speak for themselves and we are obtaining points unlike earlier in the season. 

Game seems more exciting when it isn't 3-0 after the first period (which it should have been without our goalie standing on his head)

You can't tell me that coming out and giving up 23 shots in the first period is high intensity. 

10 hours ago, Commandant said:

You can't tell me that coming out and giving up 23 shots in the first period is high intensity. 

Those last two games have also been against the two team most favoured to be Cup finalists.

But I think this argument has run its course, no one is going to be convinced of anything on this.

12 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Those last two games have also been against the two team most favoured to be Cup finalists.

But I think this argument has run its course, no one is going to be convinced of anything on this.

Dallas isnt a cup favorite and also put up 50 shots plus hit the post 4 or 5 times.

Don't confuse a competitive game and a close game on the scoreboard. In any of the past three games, they were not competitive. The unexpected strong play of 3rd and 4th string goalies kept them in the game. 

On a side note, my son is a goalie, so my wife likes to pay particular attention to the goalies during warmup. She asked what was wrong with McNiven. "I hope he doesn't play. Why is he flinching and ducking?"

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, tomh009 said:

I agree with your 2nd sentence, but I'd change the 1st to: 

Those last two games have also been against the two teams with the best Home records in the NHL.

Thats what surprised me.  The Habs are the worst team in the league and almost won 2 road games against 2 teams with the best home records.  Plus, the Avs are a top team and were on a 5 game win streak that the Habs almost ended.  i.e. they really shouldnt have had any chance at that game being remotely close.  

People can hee and haw about Shot totals all they want.  In previous years, the Habs had fairly high # of SOG, but they rarely scored.  Thats because they weren't really good shots with a high probability of going in.  i.e. Primeau played good but I wouldn't say that he was awesome and stole lots of goals.  

Also, I thought their PP looked a lot more dangerous than it has all year, and possibly in years.  

There was numerous good takeaways from the last 3 games.