Game#41 Habs vs Minni 8:00pm Jan 24 2022

DON

19 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Tonight's postgame for anyone wanting to relive the frustration: http://www.habsworld.net/2022/01/habs-blown-out-by-wild/

A game doesn’t deserve a write-up. A puking emoji is sufficient.  We’re in a much needed tank mode, but do we really need to be in puke-crap mode??

3 hours ago, tomh009 said:

30 shots (and four goals) against at the halfway point of the game ... 🙄

This is what happens when you get badly outshot and your fourth string goalie isn't standing on his head and keeping you in the game. 

As I was saying in the Colorado GDT, for the other 18 guys, they aren't playing much differently than they did last week. 

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

:clap: Pezzetta - take a run at Dumba for no good reason with 11 seconds left when they're just running down the clock leading to a big scrum and then another one off the draw.  Absolutely unnecessary and flat out stupid. 

Thats the Pezzetta we've always seen in his minor league career. 

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I think Mr. Hughes can do the math. The Habs got 23 points in their first 41 games, they will need approx. 73 points in their last 41 games to have a chance to make the playoffs. I wonder what Vegas says the odds are of that happening?  Mr. Hughes will be a seller. 

I'd love to know what those odds are.

Everybody has written them off this year but for some strange reason I still wouldn't be surprised if they actually do make the playoffs.  We've seen their worst start in franchise history, so maybe we will see them pull off the best finish in NHL history in the same season.  That would be crazy to see.  

It's really insane that the entire team is basically playing at 50% if not closer to 25% of their regular career averages.  That really doesn't make any sense.   They really are better than how they are playing, plus the covid protocols and injuries.  If they can get healthy and get everybody back soon maybe the can go on long series of win streaks and pull it off.  

One possible explanation is they might strongly believe that they cant win without Price.  If that is the case they will prove themselves right.   Either way, they need Price back ASAP.

3 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

I'd love to know what those odds are.

Go to the store

Buy a lottery ticket for Wednesdays Lotto 6/49

The odds of you winning are better than the Habs making the playoffs this season. 

1 minute ago, Commandant said:
1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

:clap: Pezzetta - take a run at Dumba for no good reason with 11 seconds left when they're just running down the clock leading to a big scrum and then another one off the draw.  Absolutely unnecessary and flat out stupid. 

Thats the Pezzetta we've always seen in his minor league career. 

I think that its sort of unfair to criticize Pezzetta in that situation.  Its not like Pezzetta put himself out there during the last minute of the game.  

What did Dumba do earlier in the game?  He went after Dauphin.  

What's Pezzetta's role?  To do exactly what he did.  ☺️

13 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Everybody has written them off this year but for some strange reason I still wouldn't be surprised if they actually do make the playoffs. 

I would be surprised. I would be very very very very surprised.  They would have to go something like 36-5 to finish the year.  Technically possible. 

27 minutes ago, Commandant said:

No I don't think its unfair to criticize a kid for doing stupid shit in an 8-2 game.  That's how unnecessary injuries pile up. 

Well, nothing builds team unity like a good old fashion line brawl.  🤣

21 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I would be surprised. I would be very very very very surprised.  They would have to go something like 36-5 to finish the year.  Technically possible. 

I dont expect it by any means, but I wouldn't be surprised.   However, the interesting thing is that I don't think they'd need to do quite that well to pull it off.  After all, there are numerous 4 point games left and if they win all of those games that would lower the amount of points they would need to make it.  i.e. Leafs and Bruins are really the only 2 teams they need to worry about.  The other teams dont really have a chance at catching T.O., Bos, or the Caps.  I believe the Habs have a better team on paper than those other teams.  

The Habs might be able to pull it off if they can go 32-9 or 31-10 or something.  If they can will all those 4 point games their chances are better than it would seem.    

1 minute ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Well, nothing builds team unity like a good old fashion line brawl.  🤣

I dont expect it by any means, but I wouldn't be surprised.   However, the interesting thing is that I don't think they'd need to do quite that well to pull it off.  After all, there are numerous 4 point games left and if they win all of those games that would lower the amount of points they would need to make it.  i.e. Leafs and Bruins are really the only 2 teams they need to worry about.  The other teams dont really have a chance at catching T.O., Bos, or the Caps.  I believe the Habs have a better team on paper than those other teams.  

The Habs might might be able to pull it off if they can go 32-9 or 31-10 or something.  If they can will all those 4 point games their chances are better than it would seem.    

LOLLLLLLLLLL, send me what you are smoking, i want some too. 

9 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

A game doesn’t deserve a write-up. A puking emoji is sufficient.  We’re in a much needed tank mode, but do we really need to be in puke-crap mode??

Not sure how that would have went over with our readers.  Open up an article and all they'd see is :1vomit:?  I'd get some complaints from our readers even if it's a much more succinct description than what I had in there.

9 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Not sure how that would have went over with our readers.  Open up an article and all they'd see is :1vomit:?  I'd get some complaints from our readers even if it's a much more succinct description than what I had in there.

Just creating emoji would stilll have shown more effort you, than what we saw from the team last night

I've said that l’’m all in for a two year tank. We are bad enough to do that with effort.  But games like yesterday are going to destroy our young kids. We need to get them say from DD. Molson needs to suck it up and take the hit on DD’s salary.  Let’s get someone to his going to get the team to put forth some effort and progress as players, while they lose.

You can’t call for a tank and then moan when the team disgraces the sweater.

I’ve seen enough hard-working, mediocre teams hover around the playoff line to know that demanding an exemplary work-ethic, discipline, and team game may actually damage the tank. Not enough to put us in the playoffs; just enough to ensure we have no chance at #1 overall.

I too worry about work ethic and bad habits infecting the kids. But that’s a reason why annual tank-jobs are a bad idea. This year is a write-off, everyone  except Sir Boagalott (!!) knows it, and that includes the players. What we need is a fresh slate next year: new coach, new expectations, new attitude, start learning how to win.

As for this group, they’ve shown they can rally behind stellar goaltending and get loser points. Absent that goaltending, their self-belief collapses.

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

You can’t call for a tank and then moan when the team disgraces the sweater.... I too worry about work ethic and bad habits infecting the kids. But that’s a reason why annual tank-jobs are a bad idea. This year is a write-off, everyone  except Sir Boagalott (!!) knows it, and that includes the players. What we need is a fresh slate next year: new coach, new expectations, new attitude, start learning how to win ...

Somewhat agree about calling for a tank and moaning ... I don't think any pro-tank folks should complain about results ... but I think it is fair to complain about effort and to critique performance.

Respectfully disagree about next year ... IMO Habs need another high pick next season ... Habs need a couple of elite pieces added to Suzuki, Caufield and Romanov (and any of the current prospects who pan) outgoing forward.

But I agree about the work ethic and bad habits ... my version of a tank next season would be moving out several veterans and filling the team with any young players that are ready and hard-working but marginal veterans ... I want a HARD-WORKING, but losing, team ... issues with work ethic generally arise with veteran players when teams slip out of playoff contention.

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

You can’t call for a tank and then moan when the team disgraces the sweater.

I’ve seen enough hard-working, mediocre teams hover around the playoff line to know that demanding an exemplary work-ethic, discipline, and team game may actually damage the tank. Not enough to put us in the playoffs; just enough to ensure we have no chance at #1 overall.

I too worry about work ethic and bad habits infecting the kids. But that’s a reason why annual tank-jobs are a bad idea. This year is a write-off, everyone  except Sir Boagalott (!!) knows it, and that includes the players. What we need is a fresh slate next year: new coach, new expectations, new attitude, start learning how to win.

As for this group, they’ve shown they can rally behind stellar goaltending and get loser points. Absent that goaltending, their self-belief collapses.

This isn’t just a tank. This is an epic proportion crap team - BEFORE they’ve unloaded their big name guys. This isn’t Toronto moving out players, and keeping their top prospects in the AHL to get Matthews, or Arizona trading away anyone who makes money. We are close to a cap team still, have a shot load of overpaid players on the team still. We should suck - I figured a poin total around 75 points. We are on track for around 50 - WITHOUT a sell off of assets!

if we had traded Chiarot, Drouin, Anderson, Gallagher, Petry, and Savard I think wouldn’t mind the result. We’ve had injuries, but so has everyone else.  given the guys that we have we should not be this bad YET. After a major sell-off sure.

11 hours ago, Commandant said:

No I don't think its unfair to criticize a kid for doing stupid shit in an 8-2 game.  That's how unnecessary injuries pile up. 

Given the way the game began (i.e., Dvorak-Spurgeon) and the final few minutes, I would not be entirely surprised if DD didn't send Pezzetta out there to do exactly what he did

23 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

The Habs have lost more games to injuries than anyone else this year. And top players, too.

Is part of that because we decided to invest in an older club? Some of the injuries are to guys been out all year, or known to be out all year (Weber), but replaced with guys that we’re head scratchers (Savard - he isn’t even a suitable replacement for Edmondson).

we have been hit hard on the goaltending in particular - but I don’t think Goaltending has been the reason we’ve stunk on most nights.

The D has been horrible, injuries don’t explain the horrendous play of guys like Petry, and there is no excuse for the pitiful offensive output. 

32 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Is part of that because we decided to invest in an older club? Some of the injuries are to guys been out all year, or known to be out all year (Weber), but replaced with guys that we’re head scratchers (Savard - he isn’t even a suitable replacement for Edmondson).

we have been hit hard on the goaltending in particular - but I don’t think Goaltending has been the reason we’ve stunk on most nights.

The D has been horrible, injuries don’t explain the horrendous play of guys like Petry, and there is no excuse for the pitiful offensive output. 

The loss of Price, Edmundson, Weber, and even KK have really hurt this group - and maybe the biggest hole of all, other than #31, has been Philip Danault. Our heart and soul was pretty much eviscerated. And MB’s patch ups did not work this time.

Funny thing about losing KK. I never liked him all that much, and never trusted that he would become an impact player. But on a psychological level, when he was on the team you could at least look at the organization at C and feel that there was hope: that maybe he would evolve into a rangy, 60-point, big-body C anchoring the top 6 and allowing Suzuki to freewheel as #1. Psychologically, his departure bombed the Habs back to square one when it comes to the future at C. And that has been kind of demoralizing to me, as a fan, this season. Who knows, maybe it affects the players too. 

That said, you’re right that Petry in particular has been a disgrace. Gally has not exactly set the world aflame either, although at least he has not been a complete sh*tshow. When you lose the heart of your veteran core, and the remaining vets play somewhere between mediocre and horrible, that’s not a good combo.

4 hours ago, tomh009 said:

The Habs have lost more games to injuries than anyone else this year. And top players, too.

No doubt, losing corner stone players like Price and Weber, a top 4 defenceman  like Edmundson hasn't played a single game, and then Toffoli, Anderson, Byron, Gallagher, Allen  etc etc, no other team is even close to the Habs when it comes to injuries, especially key injuries. 

23 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

They wont draft top 5 playing 55?

You don't want another $3 mil 4th liner do you?  

Oh wait, they got rid of MB, never mind.  

Actually, if they played #55 as a regular 4th liner, it would mean that they have c;eared the deck and are in full tank mode: I'll vote for that this season!

8 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Given the way the game began (i.e., Dvorak-Spurgeon) and the final few minutes, I would not be entirely surprised if DD didn't send Pezzetta out there to do exactly what he did

And minni d man did take a poke at Dalphin, so i have zero issue with the solid bodycheck, i would of done same. Bodychecking is still allowed in the NHL isnt it?