Game#41 Habs vs Minni 8:00pm Jan 24 2022

DON

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

As long as you are willing to drop your gloves afterwards.

not #55, that would be a bonehead move by him.

Romanov can drop the gloves, he has pedigree

9 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

not #55, that would be a bonehead move by him.

Romanov can drop the gloves, he has pedigree

tenor.gif?itemid=16289398&ehk=u7Xwoq0Bl2

Romanov should (IMO) only be fighting when absolutely necessary ... he has not shown any particular aptitude for it ... Pezzetta is fighting (pun intended) to earn a spot in the NHL and fighting is part of any chance he has to be an NHLer.

13 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Actually, if they played #55 as a regular 4th liner, it would mean that they have c;eared the deck and are in full tank mode: I'll vote for that this season!

He has been a healthy scratch what, once over the last six or seven weeks?  I think it's safe to say they're playing him as a regular fourth liner.  We could see a test of that once Gallagher, Byron, Armia, and Caufield (if he doesn't go to the AHL) return but by then, three or four more players will probably be injured anyway.  With Dvorak out already, that's one.

12 hours ago, tomh009 said:

As long as you are willing to drop your gloves afterwards.

Are you f'in kidding?

SO; if a NFLer smokes a QB, he instantly must fight? or same for rugby, any hard tackle deserves a fight.

How immature, idiotic and passe is that mentality? And not allowed within the rules.

22 minutes ago, DON said:

Are you f'in kidding?

SO; if a NFLer smokes a QB, he instantly must fight? or same for rugby, any hard tackle deserves a fight.

How immature, idiotic and passe is that mentality? And not allowed within the rules.

I agree ... but the sad reality of today's NHL is that if a player gets hit hard someone on his team most often goes after the "hitter" ... not certain whether tom was advocating that philosophy or just reflecting today's game.

22 minutes ago, DON said:

Are you f'in kidding?

And yet it's reality ...

1 minute ago, GHT120 said:

I agree ... but the sad reality of today's NHL is that if a player gets hit hard someone on his team most often goes after the "hitter" ... not certain whether tom was advocating that philosophy or just reflecting today's game.

Definitely not advocating. But I don't foresee any short-term change.

4 hours ago, dlbalr said:

He has been a healthy scratch what, once over the last six or seven weeks?  I think it's safe to say they're playing him as a regular fourth liner.  We could see a test of that once Gallagher, Byron, Armia, and Caufield (if he doesn't go to the AHL) return but by then, three or four more players will probably be injured anyway.  With Dvorak out already, that's one.

I hope he is sent back to Laval once the Habs finally have an NHL lineup.

I would prefer for Caufield to be sent earlier than #55 because Cole needs to play lots of minutes and to develop to his full potential.

Pezzetta has already peaked this season and is probably on his way out of the NHL. I still like him as a 4th liner over players like Paquette or Belzile

2 hours ago, tomh009 said:

And yet it's reality ...

I know.

Just fed up with bush league BS; but i suppose, vast majority of goons are gone, so is a slight improvement brought about by public criticism, so maybe ONE DAY, officials will be allowed to call a good game and will be some ramifications for fighting; but we all know, likely will take one or more serious life threatening injuries or fatality and huge public backlash to nudge the dial.

39 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I hope he is sent back to Laval once the Habs finally have an NHL lineup.

I would prefer for Caufield to be sent earlier than #55 because Cole needs to play lots of minutes and to develop to his full potential.

Pezzetta has already peaked this season and is probably on his way out of the NHL. I still like him as a 4th liner over players like Paquette or Belzile

image.png

100% agree on both points

😜

The biggest mistakes were the 'panic' signings of Savard and Dvorak.  

The loss of Weber (to injury) and KK (to a Carolina vendetta) sucked, but Savard and Dvorak were terrible signings.  Hoffman too, for that matter.

The GM who made those moves is gone and we are left with the baggage.

Truth is the Habs would be better off without Savard, Dvorak and Hoffman.  They take up $12.45 million dollars in Cap Space...

For starters, we couldn't possibly be worse!!

Plus the money from the three contracts would give us a 'chance' to get pieces for the rebuild.  None of those three should be part of the rebuild in my opinion.  I lump them into the Gomez/Alzner conversation.  Guys who did little or nothing to help them team - and actually hurt in a big way. At least in Gomez's case it helped the Habs sign other players who were assets...

1 hour ago, titanfan said:

The biggest mistakes were the 'panic' signings of Savard and Dvorak.  

but Savard and Dvorak were terrible signings.  Hoffman too, for that matter.

$3.5 for a solid RH defensive d-man? What is panic and horrible about that?

$4.4 for Dvorak, solid 25yr old centre.    ""                           ""                      ""

Hoffman is uber-skilled shooter with a defensive black-hole we all knew that, Brett Hull was exact same and is in hall of fame. And for $4.5m and is on 20g pace on horrible team, cant complain.

So, i kinda think not a one of the 3 are horrible signings. But, just my opinion.

8 minutes ago, DON said:

$3.5 for a solid RH defensive d-man? What is panic and horrible about that?

$4.4 for Dvorak, solid 25yr old centre.    ""                           ""                      ""

Hoffman is uber-skilled shooter with a defensive black-hole we all knew that, Brett Hull was exact same and is in hall of fame. And for $4.5m and is on 20g pace on horrible team, cant complain.

So, i kinda think not a one of the 3 are horrible signings. But, just my opinion.

Yeah, I'm with you.   I dont see any of them comparable to Alzner. 

They are all NHL players and worth their value. 

The issue is that they are all downgrades.... Savard is a downgrade from Weber, Dvorak is a downgrade from Danault, Hoffman is a downgrade from Tatar (two-way game especially). 

None of the contracts are bad, and all have value on the trade market and would not need to be bought out.   But the overall talent on the team dropped. 

At the same time, once Weber was out, and Hamilton was signing with the Devils, I'm not sure what the GM should have done there. 

We probably should have re-signed Danault. 

Tatar was driven out of town when DD wouldn't play him in the playoffs, so Hoffman as an idea (replace some scoring from Tatar, be a PP weapon to replace part of what Weber did), wasn't bad thinking. 

But overall you do all three of these and its a downgrade. 

Add in bad coaching and you have a crappy team. 

44 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Yeah, I'm with you.   I dont see any of them comparable to Alzner. 

They are all NHL players and worth their value. 

The issue is that they are all downgrades.... Savard is a downgrade from Weber, Dvorak is a downgrade from Danault, Hoffman is a downgrade from Tatar (two-way game especially). 

None of the contracts are bad, and all have value on the trade market and would not need to be bought out.   But the overall talent on the team dropped. 

At the same time, once Weber was out, and Hamilton was signing with the Devils, I'm not sure what the GM should have done there. 

We probably should have re-signed Danault. 

Tatar was driven out of town when DD wouldn't play him in the playoffs, so Hoffman as an idea (replace some scoring from Tatar, be a PP weapon to replace part of what Weber did), wasn't bad thinking. 

But overall you do all three of these and its a downgrade. 

Add in bad coaching and you have a crappy team. 

Has Savard really looked like a value contract? I admit it's tough to judge him given the general state of the team but I struggle to see him as a 3.5M dman. I don't think his role in Tampa justified it either?

55 minutes ago, Plutarch said:

Has Savard really looked like a value contract? I admit it's tough to judge him given the general state of the team but I struggle to see him as a 3.5M dman. I don't think his role in Tampa justified it either?

There have been times he looked bad... when paired with Chiarot, he looked bad.  When everyone had Covid and him and Kulak played 25 minutes as the top pair at the end of December, it looked bad. 

When he's played as a #4 or #5 Dman, he's been fine.  

I mean, 3.5 hasn't been a bargain, but he's an NHL player and it's not a huge overpayment or anything.  Mostly he's just been fine given his contract. 

I’m pretty sure that, if MB had known KK was going to get offer-shat, he would have re-signed Danault. The plan was surely for KK to take a step up into Danault’s role. Whether that punk would have been able to do it is another question.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, Dvorak was signed as a Kotkaniemi replacement (which he's reasonably close to) -- who should have been a Danault replacement (and, no, neither one of the two is close to Danault, at least not yet).

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Yeah, Dvorak was signed as a Kotkaniemi replacement (which he's reasonably close to) -- who should have been a Danault replacement (and, no, neither one of the two is close to Danault, at least not yet).

And to be fair to MB, if he had signed Danault to that deal, many of the fans on here would have been howling for his blood for “yet another” terrible contract. We cannot simultaneously argue that he should have kept Danault, *and* complain about bad contracts to aging veterans. Nevertheless, Danault has been a massive loss to this team, every bit as critical a blow as the loss of Weber or Price. Any team that loses its #1C, its #1 D-man (even if Weber was a piss-poor #1 by that point), and its starting G, is going to hurt…

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

And to be fair to MB, if he had signed Danault to that deal, many of the fans on here would have been howling for his blood for “yet another” terrible contract. We cannot simultaneously argue that he should have kept Danault, *and* complain about bad contracts to aging veterans. Nevertheless, Danault has been a massive loss to this team, every bit as critical a blow as the loss of Weber or Price. Any team that loses its #1C, its #1 D-man (even if Weber was a piss-poor #1 by that point), and its starting G, is going to hurt…

Yeah, Bergevin was gambling that Kotkaniemi would up his game this season and at least be reasonably close to the Danault level. As we now know, that blew up in a big way. Mind you, even without the offer sheet, it would likely still have blown up in a big way, as he has not been all that impressive in Carolina -- and that's playing on a wing.

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

Yeah, Bergevin was gambling that Kotkaniemi would up his game this season and at least be reasonably close to the Danault level. As we now know, that blew up in a big way. Mind you, even without the offer sheet, it would likely still have blown up in a big way, as he has not been all that impressive in Carolina -- and that's playing on a wing.

Hey, show a little respect!

KK_loki_Capture.gif

9 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

No doubt people would have been screaming if the Habs had signed Danault to the type of contract LA gave him. I don't think anybody here thought he was worth that type of money but it was a good move for him.  The Habs would have been better this year with Danault but not enough better to make a big difference, perhaps instead of drafting 1-4 it might be more like 7-10. 

4 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

A little respect, yes (fixed that for you!).

did you mean:  A little respect

On 1/26/2022 at 6:15 PM, Commandant said:

There have been times he looked bad... when paired with Chiarot, he looked bad.  When everyone had Covid and him and Kulak played 25 minutes as the top pair at the end of December, it looked bad. 

When he's played as a #4 or #5 Dman, he's been fine.  

I mean, 3.5 hasn't been a bargain, but he's an NHL player and it's not a huge overpayment or anything.  Mostly he's just been fine given his contract. 

I mainly caught games where he was with Chiarot and a few at the end of December... So that explains why I thought he'd been a tire fire haha