Habs new head coach

titanfan

4 minutes ago, Commandant said:

... He's a finisher.  He needs players who can pass him the puck. 

But not, at the moment, in the NHL ... I'll agree that playing him on the 4th line would be illogical ... but I also see Top 6 as asking too much of him at the moment, which does his development no good ... he needs the rest of the season in the AHL (IMO)

38 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

But not, at the moment, in the NHL ... I'll agree that playing him on the 4th line would be illogical ... but I also see Top 6 as asking too much of him at the moment, which does his development no good ... he needs the rest of the season in the AHL (IMO)

I agree he needs to be sent to the AHL now that the team is healthy. 

When the team wasn't healthy and he was forced into the lineup and the AHL wasn't really an option, why were we playing him on the fourth line and no PP time though?

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

I'm not talking about October, I'm talking about now

[...]
He's a finisher.  He needs players who can pass him the puck. 

Not right now, he is not a finisher right now and does not deserve PP time

the team does not revolve around Caufield; he needs to show that he will make the team better when he plays 

17 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Not right now, he is not a finisher right now and does not deserve PP time

the team does not revolve around Caufield; he needs to show that he will make the team better when he plays 

The team has 23 points in 42 games.... the team doesn't revolve around Caufield... but the team should do EVERYTHING with a focus on development not wins.

Who cares if Hoffman scores another PP goal?  It does nothing to make future seasons better, Hoffman is who he is.  Every decision from the start of say December to the end of the season should be made with a plan to develop Suzuki, Caufield, Romanov, Poehling, Evans, etc.... 

Seriously, you keep bending over backwards to defend DD, are you related or something?

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

Seriously, you keep bending over backwards to defend DD, are you related or something?

I will not take that personally...

I do not like seeing unfounded claims or unfair evaluations on players and coaches : specially when based on interpretation and not facts 

No one on this forum knows what decision the Habs organization has made with regards to winning vs developing 

No one knows what marching orders have been given to Ducharme 

Nk one has the details of the internal evaluation and development plan for Caufield

.., and I am not the one bending over backwards: revisionist history is a lens that feed only egos and anarchy 

4 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I do not like seeing unfounded claims or unfair evaluations on players and coaches : specially when based on interpretation and not facts 

No one on this forum knows what decision the Habs organization has made with regards to winning vs developing 

Nk one has the details of the internal evaluation and development plan for Caufield

.., and I am not the one bending over backwards: revisionist history is a lens that feed only egos and anarchy 

If people didn't have different opinions this forum would be awfully boring and far less enjoyable. 

5 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

If this organization did not give him orders to focus on development over winning, at the very minimum when Bergevin was fired and Gorton brought in, then we have bigger problems than the coach.  I'm 100% confident that the plan has been development for a while.

3 hours ago, huzer said:

Any thoughts on Jim Montgomery as coach? Bilingual, former teammate of Hughes. Strong coach of the kids at DU. Rehabbed, asst coach for the Blues now.

Interesting. Whether the pressure cooker of Montreal is ideal for a recovering alcoholic is another question.

Just now, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Interesting. Whether the pressure cooker of Montreal is ideal for a recovering alcoholic is another question.

Just ask Kassian how that went ... 

13 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Just ask Kassian how that went ... 

His issues happened before the season even started ... I don't recall any particular "pressure" on him at that point ... he was a new guy for whom their were hopes ... the top wasn't even yet (IMO) locked-down on the Montreal media pressure cooker ... think he just needed another "slap in the face" before he took cleaning up his act seriously.

I primarily brought up Monty as a counter to the Boucher/Bouchard/Vigneault discussions that seem to focus on them being the most likely of candidates. While that very well may be true, I thought it was interesting when I reread the article on the Gazette about Hughes, that he was a former teammate of Montgomery. And hey, then there would be an odd little piece of Habs history when 2 players traded for each other have been coaches of the team! 

My son did a hockey camp with him while he was still at DU, and I had a few interactions with him while he was here, but only as parents of kids playing mite hockey at the time.

19 hours ago, huzer said:

Any thoughts on Jim Montgomery as coach? Bilingual, former teammate of Hughes. Strong coach of the kids at DU. Rehabbed, asst coach for the Blues now.

He's someone that would definitely be worth considering, especially if they're looking at a longer-scale rebuild and don't want another first-time coach in there.

2 hours ago, huzer said:

I primarily brought up Monty as a counter to the Boucher/Bouchard/Vigneault discussions that seem to focus on them being the most likely of candidates. While that very well may be true, I thought it was interesting when I reread the article on the Gazette about Hughes, that he was a former teammate of Montgomery. And hey, then there would be an odd little piece of Habs history when 2 players traded for each other have been coaches of the team! 

My son did a hockey camp with him while he was still at DU, and I had a few interactions with him while he was here, but only as parents of kids playing mite hockey at the time.

I do not know enough about Jim Montgomery to comment, seems like you can tell us more about him that I would get from googling his name.

I threw a few coach names on another thread and I am posting here. it is funny that most of the names I mentioned are ex-Avalanche head coaches

image.png

33 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

[...] Mark Crawford? Mike Babcock? Joel Queneville? Syvain Lefevre? Claude Julien? Bob Hartley? Patrick Roy?

I think Hartley is set to retire after this season from his KHL job.  Crawford is getting up there in age as well so he's probably not a long-term option.  As for Roy, there remains no scenario where he should be considered for the position.  Remember, out of all of the coaching vacancies over the past few years, he has only interviewed once (and that was Ottawa who gave him a token interview).  With how he left Colorado, teams are rightfully staying away.

23 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Agreed. It would be a good test for him though.  If he could survive the pressure and scrutiny of coaching in Montreal without a relapse then he has likely conquered his demons. 

14 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Agreed. It would be a good test for him though.  If he could survive the pressure and scrutiny of coaching in Montreal without a relapse then he has likely conquered his demons. 

Personally, I’d prefer that both the Habs and Montgomery didn’t risk it; but if that’s the decision both parties make, then hey, God bless.

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Personally, I’d prefer that both the Habs and Montgomery didn’t risk it; but if that’s the decision both parties make, then hey, God bless.

It'd definitely be a risk but Montgomery was regarded as a more modern-thinking coach when he got the Dallas job.  That seems to be a big thing for Hughes although Montgomery's time in Dallas could have changed that perception as well.  And of course Ducharme had that reputation not long ago before this season exposing him to be anything but.  At least he's a different name to consider than the usual suspects.