GAME#42 Anaheim vs Habs 7:00pm Jan 27 2022

GHT120

To save Don from doing what he "shouldn't" ... but don't think I can delete that thread (as he requested):

Thursday, January 27
Optional morning skate

A D G
41 - Paul Byron (no-contact) 43 - Kale Clague 35 - Sam Montembeault
45 - Laurent Dauphin 27 - Alexander Romanov  
71 - Jake Evans    
11 - Brendan Gallagher (no-contact)    
55 - Michael Pezzetta    
32 - Rem Pitlick    
25 - Ryan Poehling    
42 - Lukas Vejdemo  

So that tells us little if anything

• In his pregame press conference, head coach Dominique confirmed that Lukas Vejdemo would be back in the lineup to replace Christian Dvorak, who was injured in the game against the Minnesota Wild ... That'll be Ducharme's lone lineup change for Thursday. Cayden Primeau will be making a third consecutive start in goal.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

NHL.com still lists Montembeault as injured ...

Above was only what Habs reported as attending morning skate ... not a lineup.

2 hours ago, tomh009 said:

NHL.com still lists Montembeault as injured ...

He's in uniform tonight and with Primeau having another clunker, he may be in there at some point.  Hughes would be wise to try to find a veteran nobody goalie to serve as backup for a while as this is about the worst thing that can happen for Primeau's development.

8 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

He's in uniform tonight and with Primeau having another clunker, he may be in there at some point.  Hughes would be wise to try to find a veteran nobody goalie to serve as backup for a while as this is about the worst thing that can happen for Primeau's development.

Primeau's highs are high and his lows are low. Consistency is definitely one thing he is lacking. Need lots more ice time with the Rocket.

5 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I like to see Arturi score as he is one of my favourite Habs, great work ethic. Scoring doesn't hurt his trade value either although he is one I wouldn't mind keeping, unless they get a great offer. 

I was shocked to see him getting PP time. First PPG since 2018!

When Dauphin scores on a penalty shot there may be some magic in the air tonight.

Was the timeout a good idea?

PRO: gives DD a chance to organize the "play" and get the players he wants out there

CON: it gives some very tired Ducks an opportunity to catch their breath

I lean to the CON as I feel teams should already have a good idea what to do and take advantage of the opponent's moment of weakness.

5 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Pretty good game from the Habs overall.  If they'd had any sort of goaltending, they'd have won.

Can you really blame Montembeault for Zegras's lacrosse goal though? That was very much like the Mikael Granlund goal 10 years ago or so.

I think Montembeault was good enough for a win, but the Habs were down 3-0 by that time.

1 minute ago, tomh009 said:

Can you really blame Montembeault for Zegras's lacrosse goal though? That was very much like the Mikael Granlund goal 10 years ago or so.

I think Montembeault was good enough for a win, but the Habs were down 3-0 by that time.

i wish we had a player who could score like that!

3 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

I'm not blaming him for that one but Primeau had a brutal game and I didn't even like how Montembeault tracked the last goal although it was a decent shot at least.  If Allen is in, they probably win 4-2 or 4-3.  Even if Montembeault played the whole game, they might have won 4-3.

• Upvote 1

Granlund can do it ... but he hasn't done it for 10 years. I don't think coaches look kindly on this kind of stuff. Zegras ... yeah, the game was already 3-0 at that point, so could do a bit of hotdogging.

38 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Was the timeout a good idea?

PRO: gives DD a chance to organize the "play" and get the players he wants out there

CON: it gives some very tired Ducks an opportunity to catch their breath

I lean to the CON as I feel teams should already have a good idea what to do and take advantage of the opponent's moment of weakness.

CON: it gives DD a chance to organiza the "play" and get the players he wants out there. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Granlund can do it ... but he hasn't done it for 10 years. I don't think coaches look kindly on this kind of stuff. Zegras ... yeah, the game was already 3-0 at that point, so could do a bit of hotdogging.

Meh, no such thing as hotdogging to me.  You don't want someone to score a lacrosse goal, play defence and stop them. Otherwise he's just a guy using his skill to score a goal, which is the point of the game. 

Also it was the second period, a three goal lead isn't safe at that point, just look at the final score, Ducks needed every goal they got. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

... but  Primeau had a brutal game ...

CP has had two excellent games (PHI and COL) ... one OK game (NYR) and four bad to horrid games ... as you said earlier ... with Allen out, Hughes needs to find a veteran goalie to play with Montembeault and let Primeau go back to Laval ... the new guy almost certainly won't be good, but better to let a journeyman be a punching bag than a youngster you "hope" has a future.

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

Pitlick is starting to stand out a bit more in a good way after a couple of quiet games.  With several wingers due back soon, it's not a bad time to have a good game to help his chances of staying in there.

Pitlick had 3 plays that displayed fairly high hockey IQ.  He made 2 good passes to Evans that were really smart and lead to goals.  Plus, his 1 backcheck was brilliant where he chased and chased but waited until the Duck was nearing the blueline before he attempted to take the puck.   i.e. that play was looking like a good scoring chance for the Ducks but they didn't even get to enter the Habs zone.  

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

Pretty good game from the Habs overall.  If they'd had any sort of goaltending, they'd have won.

I fully agree. 

It's like the Habs are getting better and/or their negative mindset is starting to change to positive.  They almost made a comeback from being down by 3 goals.  I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure that was the 1st game this year that they've been down by 3 and only lost by 1.  They haven't competed at that level very often this year thats for sure.  

11 hours ago, Commandant said:

Meh, no such thing as hotdogging to me.  You don't want someone to score a lacrosse goal, play defence and stop them. Otherwise he's just a guy using his skill to score a goal, which is the point of the game. 

Also it was the second period, a three goal lead isn't safe at that point, just look at the final score, Ducks needed every goal they got. 

The NHL mentality that “hotdogging” - i.e., making flashy plays that hurt the opposition - is some heinous sin is absolutely stupid. “Don’t you dare be entertaining! Don’t you dare help your team win in anything other than the prescribed style!!” It’s as if they think this is some kind of High Anglican service.

I’m with you 100%. 

13 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I like to see Arturi score as he is one of my favourite Habs, great work ethic. Scoring doesn't hurt his trade value either although he is one I wouldn't mind keeping, unless they get a great offer. 

I would definitely keep him as part of the new core: Pitlick-Evans-Lehkonen would be a great 3|4 line for years