Jan. 29, Oilers vs Habs, 7 PM

dlbalr

42 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

The argument for replacing DD now has NOTHING to do with winning more this season ... it is about creating a better environment for both the youngsters and the vets ... reversing the obvious D-G-A-S attitude amongst so many players ... having players buy-in to some sort of short-term system appropriate to the talent available ... maybe salvaging the trade value of some veterans ... even entertaining the fans more often.

I agree that the argument for replacing DD has nothing to do with winning more this season. The development of the kids is most important aspect and I think that if Gorton/Hughes think they are being negatively impacted then they will make a change. Not sure the trade value of the vets will be affected much by a coaching change. I am sure any opposing GM realizes that the vets having a bad 1/2 season are having a bad 1/2 season because of a lot of factors beyond their control.  Chiarot will still be snapped up easily by a contending team at a good price as they saw what he could in the playoffs last year, Toffoli is still looking like he can be a difference maker for a contender that needs some goal scoring.  The biggest negative factor impacting a trade for Gallagher/Petry is not the season they are having, it's being able to fit in their contracts longer term. 

I don't think I would make a decision based on a 1 minute video at practice. What a tough market to coach in when your every move is being followed and recorded. Who would want that job right now?   Pretty soon Gorton/Hughes will have been around the team long enough to know if they have completely tuned out DD.  Not sure there is a list of candidates out there I am crazy about. 

If we fire DD tomorrow, I will not lose a wink of sleep over it. However, the season this one most resembles in 2012. We had a rebellion against Martin and replaced him with Cunneyworth. Cunneyworth promptly lost control of the team and the season went down in flames. So that was 82 games of a team in disarray. 

What effect did this have on the development of our young players? Seems to me that MaxPac and Subban turned out absolutely fine despite the one-year circus. 

So if that precedent teaches us anything, it’s that a single disastrous year for a team does not fatally impact the development of quality young players. 

5 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

So if that precedent teaches us anything, it’s that a single disastrous year for a team does not fatally impact the development of quality young players. 

Fair point, if one bad year has a severe negative impact on a player then maybe that player wasn't strong enough mentally to begin with. Maybe a little adversity will be a good thing. 

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

So the candidates are Joel Bouchard, Guy Boucher, and Alain Vigneault. Claude Julien is “out” obviously, and Therrien is a sub-human clown so that rules him out too. Anyone else I’m missing? 

Pascal Vincent, Benoit Groulx, 

3 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Pascal Vincent, Benoit Groulx, 

You may not get those guys if you make a move now though, teams will often deny the promotion if it's a midseason jump so as to not disrupt the development of their prospects.  Internal options are likely what would happen (Burrows, Houle, Richardson if Molson had a spine but we know that won't happen) if the switch was made now unless you were hiring a currently unemployed coach (Boucher or Vigneault).

38 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

If we fire DD tomorrow, I will not lose a wink of sleep over it. However, the season this one most resembles in 2012. We had a rebellion against Martin and replaced him with Cunneyworth. Cunneyworth promptly lost control of the team and the season went down in flames. So that was 82 games of a team in disarray. 

What effect did this have on the development of our young players? Seems to me that MaxPac and Subban turned out absolutely fine despite the one-year circus. 

If that year was a flame out, this year is a nuclear meltdown - the after effects of a meltdown is much longer lasting - Buffalo and Edmonton are examples.

if Molson wants to save money just promote Cunneyworth-  mean Richardson until the end of the year. But don’t make some idiotic language stance the next day. Let your know PR woman do the talking.

1 minute ago, Commandant said:

Yes there would be an interim and those would be more summer options.  So is Bouchard who CC included so i thought thats what he was looking for. 

Isnt Richardson Bilingual?

Hiring Burrows as interim head coach would be an intriguing experiment, and perhaps a great learning experience for him. The danger is that he gets good reviews over a short sample size and we then end up giving him the full job - meaning an inexperienced, unproven coach becomes responsible for the rebuild.

Just now, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Hiring Burrows as interim head coach would be an intriguing experiment, and perhaps a great learning experience for him. The danger is that he gets good reviews over a short sample size and we then end up giving him the full job - meaning an inexperienced, unproven coach becomes responsible for the rebuild.

Yes, maybe you make Burrows the interim coach, he takes the team to the cup final, give him a long term contract and then realize it was all smoke and mirrors because it was the players that got them there.  Ok that was a little sarcastic. 

11 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

If that year was a flame out, this year is a nuclear meltdown - the after effects of a meltdown is much longer lasting - Buffalo and Edmonton are examples.

If you don't want Edmonton and Buffalo then you take your time, have a good game plan, and make well thought out decisions. I don't see how rushing to replace DD will turn things around. I think Gorton/Hughes are both analytical, intelligent guys who will do the right thing whatever that may be.

40 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Yes there would be an interim and those would be more summer options.  So is Bouchard who CC included so i thought thats what he was looking for. 

Isnt Richardson Bilingual?

I don't remember him speaking in French when he was subbing in as acting coach when Ducharme was off in the playoffs but I could be wrong.

2 minutes ago, DON said:

Dont think anyone mentioned this bit. I was a bit surprised at the time; but dunno what to think of lack of instant reaction.

https://cheeringthelogo.ca/2022/01/30/the-kassian-hit-exposes-deeper-issues/

I think it means we need to bring Arber up.   He would not have let that go unchallenged. 

2 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I think it means we need to bring Arber up.   He would not have let that go unchallenged. 

That's actually not an option.  They need to have burned through all of their healthy Laval defencemen before getting the ability to recall a player from junior.

12 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

That's actually not an option.  They need to have burned through all of their healthy Laval defencemen before getting the ability to recall a player from junior.

DARN!  I thought because he was an overage junior they could bring him up.

4 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

DARN!  I thought because he was an overage junior they could bring him up.

The overage portion means his contract doesn't slide but the NHL-CHL agreement only allows for emergency recalls once a player is assigned to a junior team.  Once his CHL season ends, he can then be brought up without any restrictions (but they'll be playing longer than the Habs will).

45 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

If you don't want Edmonton and Buffalo then you take your time, have a good game plan, and make well thought out decisions. I don't see how rushing to replace DD will turn things around. I think Gorton/Hughes are both analytical, intelligent guys who will do the right thing whatever that may be.

I think you bring someone in for the remainder of the year, and take your time on hiring a long term coach. That isn’t the same thing as Edmonton hiring Kruger, and after a year making a change because shiny new toy Eakins is available, and than deciding oh, maybe that was a bad choice for head coach.

Buffalo  was even worse with ownership, who I thought made a good decision with Lafontaine, but than let his underling stab him in the back.

this is not the same situation.

i say dump DD - who I didn’t like last year during the regular season either, and it’s becoming clearer the veterans ran the team (who are all gone).  The team has clearly tuned him out and quit on him over the past month or so. A change is needed, but we don’t need to hire the long term solution yet.

29 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Weber or Edmundson or Chiarot would have reacted, is my guess.

39 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I think you bring someone in for the remainder of the year, and take your time on hiring a long term coach. That isn’t the same thing as Edmonton hiring Kruger, and after a year making a change because shiny new toy Eakins is available, and than deciding oh, maybe that was a bad choice for head coach.

Buffalo  was even worse with ownership, who I thought made a good decision with Lafontaine, but than let his underling stab him in the back.

this is not the same situation.

i say dump DD - who I didn’t like last year during the regular season either, and it’s becoming clearer the veterans ran the team (who are all gone).  The team has clearly tuned him out and quit on him over the past month or so. A change is needed, but we don’t need to hire the long term solution yet.

I am not sure that bringing in a "lame duck" coach for 1/2 the year would be a big improvement. Would the players buy in knowing a coach was only a temporary replacement? 

If you didn't like  DD last year then I guess you had your mind made up before the season started. That's fine. Everyone has their opinion about DD and at this point I don't have a strong opinion one way or another. I am more concerned with how the rebuild will happen, getting the draft right etc.  For me the decision to replace DD or not is not high on the list of things I worry about when it comes to the Habs. 

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

I think the big thing is that after today's game the team has a week off.

If you are going to make an inseason move, tomorrow morning is when you do it. 

Claude Julien is now available.