Habs vs CBJ Jan 30 2022 7pm

DON

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

He's not the only one of those 20-30 coworkers who are pissed at DD. 

This isn't the first time a coach has lost the room... and it won't be the first time one gets fired as a result. 

Ya, i know, just his play is annoying to say the least.. especially if it isnt a physical thing, because he has sucked from game #1. 

Just now, DON said:

Ya, i know, just his play is annoying to say the least.. especially if it isnt a physical thing, because he has sucked from game #1. 

I agree. Insofar as his piss-poor play is a result of what's between his ears rather than physical decline, Petry's on-ice comportment has been deeply unprofessional.

Either he is a flighty, fragile player who cannot play well through adversity, or he is an arsehole who quit on his team and his teammates. Either case proves that he is neither a leader nor a character player.

The truth is that all of these things can be true. 

1) Not liking the coach and quiting on him.

2) nagging injury

3) as the team's season has gotten worse and worse, he has no motivation 

4) some physical decline. 

5) taking on a bigger role with Weber gone.

6) missing his partner in Edmundson

Its more likely that all of these are factors, then that its just one thing given how far he's fallen. 

• Upvote 2

Wilde noted this, as well;

Hughes was asked specifically about the future of Jeff Petry who is likely having the worst season of his career. Hughes opened up about how Petry is struggling with his family not in Canada with him because of Covid-19. Jeff and his wife Julie felt that because of restrictions in Canada that the three children should be back in the United States enjoying a freer life in terms of lockdowns and following, or in this case not following, strict Covid protocols.

and this bit was interesting

Hughes also said that he told Petry that even with the difficulty of being away from family that his best effort was expected of him. However, none of that seemed that revealing in comparison to this: “If there’s a chance it will work out on both sides to trade him, we’ll trade him.”

15 minutes ago, DON said:

and this bit was interesting

Hughes also said that he told Petry that even with the difficulty of being away from family that his best effort was expected of him. However, none of that seemed that revealing in comparison to this: “If there’s a chance it will work out on both sides to trade him, we’ll trade him.”

That is interesting.  I can definitely see how the frustration of losing compounded by being away from his family for long stretches  can wear him down.  He is human. I don't know if there is a deal to be made as his contract makes it difficult to trade this time of year.

This from LeBrun's article today in the Athletic:

Petry, 34, has had a rough year, but his reputation around the league remains strong, a Western Conference team executive telling me the other day they still view him as the player from before this season. That executive’s team would have zero hesitation stepping up for him if they had that need on their team.

This is good because I don’t think the Canadiens intend to deal Petry at a discount if, in fact, they end up moving him at all.

Petry, signed for three more years at a $6.25-million AAV, also has some control over things with a 15-team no-trade list, but again, all signs point to his camp, led by Wade Arnott of Newport Sports, being open to help facilitate a deal.

53 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

This from LeBrun's article today in the Athletic:

That is good news.

We'll see if they put their money where their mouth is, though. The supposedly "real" Petry is a legit #2 D-man...that's a massive difference-maker for a team with designs on the Cup, and those kinds of assets are seldom available. We should get back a huge return. 

I'm a little bit skeptical, TBH. How can there not be a significant discount based on his age, term, and disastrous season? If Petry does not bounce back, the GM who ships out major assets to get him has potentially committed a firing offence.

14 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

That is good news.

I think was said when came from Oilers, that was a solid 2nd pairing guy, just cant handle top pairing. So, maybe on a Trump American team in a country with fewer Covid restrictions and on 2nd pairing, he would flourish once again.

Doesnt he know that in 3 years he will be retired and can spend all day playing wth his kids?

8 minutes ago, DON said:

I think was said when came from Oilers, that was a solid 2nd pairing guy, just cant handle top pairing. So, maybe on a Trump American team in a country with fewer Covid restrictions and on 2nd pairing, he would flourish once again.

Doesnt he know that in 3 years he will be retired and can spend all day playing wth his kids?

A good employer will provide access to mental health supports and counselling. During this difficult period, I hope Petry has accessed those - assuming the Habs provide them. (Bergevin was so old-school, I can see him not doing so).

The problem is, he still has a duty to perform for his teammates and his organization, and he has been completely negligent in this respect. I sure hope we can make a deal, because I have no desire to see him here any longer than is absolutely necessary.

23 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

We'll see if they put their money where their mouth is, though. The supposedly "real" Petry is a legit #2 D-man...that's a massive difference-maker for a team with designs on the Cup, and those kinds of assets are seldom available. We should get back a huge return. 

I'm a little bit skeptical, TBH. How can there not be a significant discount based on his age, term, and disastrous season? If Petry does not bounce back, the GM who ships out major assets to get him has potentially committed a firing offence.

I think it will also take the right D partner for Petry. He can be a key contributor (assuming that this season is an aberration, just like Pitlick's shooting percentage) but the contract will weigh against the expected performance. But three years (after this one) is not super long, a GM may well choose to accept the risk of the last year being a write-off.

In 37games, or 843minutes icetime, Petry has all of 6 points.

If he didnt dress again this year, would it hurt any or he be missed?

I bet even Gomez had more offense in his worst year, with much less icetime (yes he did; 11pts in 38gms).

• Like 2

On 2/1/2022 at 3:39 PM, DON said:

In 37games, or 843minutes icetime, Petry has all of 6 points.

If he didnt dress again this year, would it hurt any or he be missed?

I bet even Gomez had more offense in his worst year, with much less icetime (yes he did; 11pts in 38gms).

Petry clearly quit a long time ago, and needs to go.  I'd give him a stint in the pressbox until I could move him, were it not for cap considerations.