Canadiens Suffering a Historic Slide (TSN)

Commandant

https://www.tsn.ca/montreal-canadiens-are-suffering-a-stunning-slide-1.1754876

[quote]"But that can’t be true either. We have seen teams tank regular seasons in the hopes of chasing a lottery pick. The 2014-15 Buffalo Sabres did it in preparation for the Connor McDavid and Jack Eichel lottery race. The 2021-22 Arizona Coyotes lineup is another example; the motivation is less clear, but when virtually your entire lineup will contractually expire at season’s end, the path to competitive hockey doesn’t exist.   

What do these teams have in common? They were better hockey teams. In fact, the Canadiens have a shot at finishing this year with the worst regular-season performance in the modern era of statistics (2007-22), a stunning indictment of how far this franchise has fallen.[/quote]

Across the board they are not just one of the worst teams this season, but one of the worst teams of the cap era?

I really don't understand how there can possibly be any support for this coaching staff at all. 

This roster should not be putting up results that rival the worst hockey teams in the last 15 years. 

• Upvote 1

So there can't be comments on TSN articles about the decline of the team? Can coaching not be a consideration of discussion, or can there only be one thread on how the season is going? That'd make for a boring forum.

But boy, is this team a cesspool right now. From the net, to the bench. I, for one, welcome the change that will hopefully come from being the team that "just makes the playoffs then anything can happen" to one that is entertaining and consistently competitive. I hope Gorton and Hughes are competent and able to get that job done.

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

https://www.tsn.ca/montreal-canadiens-are-suffering-a-stunning-slide-1.1754876

[quote]"But that can’t be true either. We have seen teams tank regular seasons in the hopes of chasing a lottery pick. The 2014-15 Buffalo Sabres did it in preparation for the Connor McDavid and Jack Eichel lottery race. The 2021-22 Arizona Coyotes lineup is another example; the motivation is less clear, but when virtually your entire lineup will contractually expire at season’s end, the path to competitive hockey doesn’t exist.   

What do these teams have in common? They were better hockey teams. In fact, the Canadiens have a shot at finishing this year with the worst regular-season performance in the modern era of statistics (2007-22), a stunning indictment of how far this franchise has fallen.[/quote]

Across the board they are not just one of the worst teams this season, but one of the worst teams of the cap era?

I really don't understand how there can possibly be any support for this coaching staff at all. 

This roster should not be putting up results that rival the worst hockey teams in the last 15 years. 

I think a large part of it is covid19 the other part has been the same old story in the last 35 years which is lack of depth on the team and in our system as far as prospects go.

But take out covid19 protocol we would of had less players out which would of Ment more wins. 

It's the perfect storm. Key long-term injuries plus UFA departures for a large turnover. Little time to recover between seasons (this hurt the other semi-finalists, too, though not as badly). Poor performances by some key players. More injuries. Losses to COVID. Coaching. Motivation. More subpar performances. And yet more injuries.

It's a full-blown disaster now. Let's hope we can draft some good players to gain something from this dumpster fire of a season.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

It's the perfect storm. Key long-term injuries plus UFA departures for a large turnover. Little time to recover between seasons (this hurt the other semi-finalists, too, though not as badly). Poor performances by some key players. More injuries. Losses to COVID. Coaching. Motivation. More subpar performances. And yet more injuries.

It's a full-blown disaster now. Let's hope we can draft some good players to gain something from this dumpster fire of a season.

Agreed. I think you nailed it. 

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

Yeah. Good post. Everything that can go wrong, has gone wrong for this bunch. I mean, both of our starting goalies have been out with long-term injuries - and that's just for starters.

It may not be DD's fault per se, but it is also clear that DD has had zero answers. Unlike Commandant, I am relatively indifferent to whether we fire him now or at the end of the season, but I do think we absolutely have to come back next year with a different coach - if only to create a hard break with the utter debacle that is this season.

Is this the single most dramatic collapse by a former Cup finalist in league history? I'd be curious to know that.

2 hours ago, Habsfan89 said:

I think a large part of it is covid19 the other part has been the same old story in the last 35 years which is lack of depth on the team and in our system as far as prospects go.

But take out covid19 protocol we would of had less players out which would of Ment more wins. 

We were terrible long before Covid hit the team in December.  We've been horrible from the start of the season when we lost to Buffalo on the second night and still haven't won two in a row all year.  Every team had COVID and a couple more wins wouldn't make us look good, we've won 8 out of 42 games. 

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

It may not be DD's fault per se, but it is also clear that DD has had zero answers.

This is actually a really good point.

Ducharme may or may not have been a positive factor in last spring's playoff run (it could have just been the vet leadership). But, even if we assume that he did, and that his system worked in the playoffs, that does not necessarily mean that he can coach a team out of a disaster scenario. Some coaches can do both of those tasks, some can do only one -- and, yes, some can't do either one.

And, yes, it was a crappy start in October and November already. But the injuries came early, they came hard and they came often. Weber. Price. Edmundson. Byron. Hoffman. Niku. Evans. Drouin. Allen. Kulak. Wideman.  And that was all before the end of November. And I do agree with CC's point: Ducharme could not find a way of dealing with this.

I read the same article and couldn't help but laugh when I read that there have been 2 teams that were purposely trying to lose and be last place and the Habs have a worse record than those teams had. 

Thats basically why I mentioned in another thread that I wouldn't be totally surprised if they get their sh*t together and go on some crazy win streaks.  I really have no realistic expectation of that, but they clearly are a more talented team than the results they are getting. 

I certainly dont agree with gutting the team and starting over and doing a 5 year rebuild.  Thats nonsense and completely unnecessary.  Gorton kinda scares me for that reason, because he did that with the Rangers.  The Habs don't need to take that drastic of a measure to be competitive again. 

The real answer is somewhere between a tweak and scorched earth. A big part of who will be traded and who will stay depends on how far away their target is for being a contender. And that's one thing neither Gorton or Hughes is talking about yet.