2022 Beijing Olympics

Fanpuck33

I'm finally caught up enough to talk some Olympics and not even a thread for it. Ouch.

On the plus side, the US got a bronze from Jessie Diggins in the cross-country sprint and Scott Patterson put up a really solid 11th in the Skiathlon. Deedra Irwin put up our best ever finish in the biathlon Individual at 7th, and the mixed-relay team was in the thick of it until the final leg. Lindsay Jacobellis finally got redemption from giving away  the 2006 gold in snowboard cross.

On the down side, the mixed doubles curling team finished a lousy 8th. Our medal contenders in the men's and women's 1500m speed skating didn't come close to the medals. Our male lugers all made the top 20, but none were in contention. Our female lugers did even worse, with only one of them even making the final run. And then there is Mikaela Shiffrin... And NBC made her look so bad last night. They kept the camera on her while she was sulking on the sidelines for more than 10 minutes. They made it look like she was having a meltdown that was holding up the entire race, but no, the competition was still going on in the background.

I didn't watch much this year so far because of the time zones obviously.

But man... Max Parrot !!!   Fought a cancer 3 years back and now gold medalist for Canada !  What a story !

On 2/9/2022 at 11:28 AM, Fanpuck33 said:

I'm finally caught up enough to talk some Olympics and not even a thread for it. Ouch.

That doesn't shock me - the last new thread in here was the one you made for the summer Olympics.  There are only a handful of us who ever read anything in this forum now.

On 2/11/2022 at 12:44 PM, dlbalr said:

That doesn't shock me - the last new thread in here was the one you made for the summer Olympics.  There are only a handful of us who ever read anything in this forum now.

Haha, forgot I'd done that and commented on how it was already being ignored in 2012, haha. Guess it takes NHLers in the winter games to get any real hype going around here.  But as good as Canada is in the Winter Games, still surprising NOBODY wandered into the lounge.

In some ways, the time difference makes it even better. You can just records everything overnight and be able to watch everything faster. Just takes a little avoiding of the news and social media. When there are 8-12 hours of coverage you want to watch most days, being able to skip commercials and events you don't care about is a necessity.

US men and women got off to a good start in curling, but hitting some bumps now. Men got wrecked by Canada yesterday. Curling is probably the most annoying sport to deal with the time difference, because of how NBC covers it. Because curling tends to do well for them, they out it on the longest delay, with overnight games being saved till the evening most days before the live game at night. This year that has meant many games being condensed into a 2 hour window, including commercials and stupid commentary. They skip entire ends at times, and often the first 8 stones of an end.

US finally got a monkey off their back in speed skating, getting our 1st medal in an individual event since 2010, and the first women's individual medal since 2002 with Erin Jackson taking the gold. She is the 1st black woman to medal at the Olympics. She had won 3 of 6 world cups in the 500m this season, but had a slip in the qualifying event and finished 3rd, out of an Olympic spot. There was a rule to protect medal contenders that they get a reskate if they fall, but she stayed on her feet and finished the race instead of going down. Brittany Bowe, who already qualified in the 1000m and 1500m where she is more of a medal threat, gave up her spot in the 500m so Jackson could go. In the end, Bowe also got to skate when other countries did not fill their allocated spots in the event, so it was nice that she didn't have to give up her spot in the end.

Scary moment in biathlon this morning. Ingrid Landmark Tandervold appeared to have bronze locked up in the Pursuit when they cut away to show the Marte Olsbu Roiesland cross the line for gold. Then Elvira Oeberg came across the line and 2nd, but it was Tandervold'd fellow Norwegian Tirill Eckhoff in 3rd. Then all sorts of athletes started coming across the line with no sign of Tandervold. Finally, she appeared on screen barely at a walking pace in 14th. Her body had completely given out on her in the last kilometer and she needed medical attention right at the finish line. Sound like she is ok now, though.

I just cant bring myself to.care about olympics like i used to.  Maybe if the NHLers were there, but i dont care about these sports for 3 years 11.5 months of the year.  Why should i care now when they are on tv in the middle of the night being used as a sportswashing excercise to take away from chinas abhorrent treatment of Uygars. 

If you enjoy it, sure, enjoy it.

I just cant force myself to care.

On 2/13/2022 at 2:43 PM, Commandant said:

I just cant bring myself to.care about olympics like i used to.  Maybe if the NHLers were there, but i dont care about these sports for 3 years 11.5 months of the year.  Why should i care now when they are on tv in the middle of the night being used as a sportswashing excercise to take away from chinas abhorrent treatment of Uygars. 

If you enjoy it, sure, enjoy it.

I just cant force myself to care.

That would definitely be the difference. I watch most everything that doesn't involve judges whenever it is on TV. Cross Country and Alpine I pay for a streaming service for all that NBC doesn't show, which is more and more recently. Biathlon I get replays from Eurovision. Luge is often available online, though I do tend to forget about it more than the others.

I feel like the Olympics just brings more attention to China's horrible human rights record.  I feel like average people had never even heard of Uygars until the diplomatic boycots. Then again, I tend to assume the average person is an uninformed idiot.