Habs hire Martin St-Louis as their 28th Head Coach

alfredoh2009

• alfredoh2009 changed the title to Habs hire Martin St-Louis as their 28th Head Coach

This is insane. The guy has zero meaningful coaching experience.

I know it's only interim. But this makes me VERY concerned about whether we have just hired Houle 2.0 as our management team.

Just now, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I know it's only interim. But this makes me VERY concerned about whether we have just hired Houle 2.0 as our management team.

I hope that you and I are wrong to feel the same way about this

I like it - and it's a PR coup. The media will love Marty, he'll bring a breath of fresh air and take the focus off the struggling (and absent) players. Who better to mentor our little genius Cole than the greatest small guy MVP of all time?  We can continue to be awful and any tiny improvement will be a step in the right direction, while we continue the search for the best longterm candidate. 

30 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I expect that his primary role will be to show leadership, and to enable players to be motivated.

This is not madness. This is brilliant. If St.Louis shows well the Canadiens will win some games, but not enough to impact our draft pick and they can sign him for the first couple of years of the re-set. If not, they have a full off season to conduct the search for a replacement. Right now, the Canadiens need a new, fresh voice with credibility and Hhof and Stanley Cup winner M. StLouis ticks all those boxes. Besides, who else that we would want was available mid-season? 

30 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Hes an interim coach that will bring a positive vibe to the dressing room.

Id hate it as a long term solution but as a bandaid til summer its good.

It changes the environment and he was a hero to guys of the age that caufield, suzuki, poehling, evans are so he will have their respect and should help their development short term.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I agree he has zero experience. But I think he has a Brind’Amour type of personality, and could well be successful.  Not bad for the start of the rebulild.

The only downside is that, I think it means Caufield probably won’t be sent down. However, given St Louis’s path to the NHL, I think he will be good for Caufield, and probably also be more insistent to his bosses to demote Caufield, if he doesn’t think Caufield belongs in the NHL yet.

I think we should see an improvement in Petry and some of the veterans as well.

St Louis isn’t an obnoxious loudmouth like Tremblay, and St. Louis isn’t replacing Demers.

it shows how bad the situation is when even a guy with no experience is better than DD. Hell, even the hot dog vendor would probably have made better decisions than DD has over that last few months.

• Upvote 1

My main concern is that Marty takes us on a deep playoff run this season due to the influx of fresh blood. Only for his true colours to come out next season, in turn bringing our team back to earth. 

Oh wait, that already sort of happened to us.

:P

9 minutes ago, PMAC said:

This is not madness. This is brilliant. If St.Louis shows well the Canadiens will win some games, but not enough to impact our draft pick and they can sign him for the first couple of years of the re-set. If not, they have a full off season to conduct the search for a replacement. Right now, the Canadiens need a new, fresh voice with credibility and Hhof and Stanley Cup winner M. StLouis ticks all those boxes. Besides, who else that we would want was available mid-season? 

Agree 100%

given the language limitation, and tje extent to which DD lost the team, I think it’s a great move.

22 minutes ago, JoeLassister said:

He might just have been promised another job for next season within the organisation and act as « eyes in the locker room » until then. 

Totally agree ... that makes a lot of sense ... allows for a full coach search after the season.

Great...a Quebecois celebrity hire. 

If that's all this management group wanted as a placeholder with no coaching experience, why not think bigger?  Hire A-list Quebecois celebrity Georges St. Pierre instead!

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, sbhatt said:

Great...a Quebecois celebrity hire. 

If that's all this management group wanted as a placeholder with no coaching experience, why not think bigger?  Hire A-list Quebecois celebrity Georges St. Pierre instead!

Or Kim St. Pierre 

42 minutes ago, JoeLassister said:

He might just have been promised another job for next season within the organisation and act as « eyes in the locker room » until then. 

that is what Anthony Marcotte is reporting:

15 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

He's not reporting that.  He said a well-connected person shared that theory with him.

Is that more of a rumour then? I don’t know where to put this 

I swear the man « bien branché dans le monde du hockey » isn’t me. 

I played baseball against Torrey Mitchell and Pierre-Marc Bouchard when I was about 10 years old. That’s how connected to hockey world I am. 

😂

(Not true, I’ve been playing softball against Simon-Olivier Lorange from LaPresse for like 8 years now.  And I know Meeker Guerrier from RDS on a first name basis.)

• Upvote 1

Well, I still don't like it. The Brind'Amour parallel overlooks the fact that Brind'Amour was an NHL assistant coach for years. The optimism here seems to be based on the idea that St Louis is a cool guy, so he'll do great. So was Boom Boom Geoffrion; so was Wayne Gretzky; so was Dirk Graham; so was Mario Tremblay, believe it or not; and look how these cases turned out. I do not agree that charisma is a substitute for coaching acumen - especially not over time. 

Now maybe St Louis comes in, is a breath of fresh air, helps change the culture, gives Caufield some mentoring, and f**ks off at season's end. Fine. What I worry about is that he will be a PR coup and have the French media fawning over him, and his early returns will be good enough that we then lock him down to a longer-term deal. Then, inevitably, his complete amateurism will manifest - compromising future seasons, making the organization a gong show yet again, and damaging player development.

I would also point out that those calling for DD's firing have taken the position that substantial damage will be done by having an incompetent coach for the season's 40 games. But there is no reason at all - zero- to think that St Louis is a competent coach, other than the belief that he's a cool guy and was a great player.

This is simply not a job for amateurs, no matter how charismatic or beloved. 

P.S: if Roy is hired, we can kiss goodbye to the next decade, since Hugh-Gort will at that point be proven to be incompetent.

59 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Now maybe St Louis comes in, is a breath of fresh air, helps change the culture, gives Caufield some mentoring, and f**ks off at season's end. Fine. What I worry about is that he will be a PR coup and have the French media fawning over him, and his early returns will be good enough that we then lock him down to a longer-term deal.

I'm with you on this part. I am hoping that he is maybe targeted for a front-office role from next season on rather than a coaching role, and for now he'll be a placeholder and a chief cheerleader.

17 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

Why would anyone that isn't from Montreal or Quebec want to work for the habs organization as part of the coaching staff or management staff? You have no opportunity to move up in the organization to some day become head coach of the team or GM of the team. 

You mean, "why would anyone who doesn't speak French want to [be] part of the coaching staff or management staff?"

And it is ONLY the head coach and GM of whom bilingualism is required. For anyone else, it can be a fantastic opportunity.